End of Days (1999)

HORROR: End of Days

REVIEWER: Shane Gavin

RATING:D

REVIEW:

Peter Hyams shoulda known better than to go off and redo the ending to theis film without reshooting the whole rest of the film. It's kind of like cutting the tail off a dog and than sticking on a donkey's tails, it makes no sense and it just looks weird.

We enter the life of one time cop, now security for hire Jericho (Arnold Schwarzenagger), who finds himself having to protect Christine York (Robin Tunney), from Satan in a man form (Gabriel Byrne), who has to have sex with Christine between 11pm and midnight, which is than teh predecessor to Rosemanry's Baby, I mean Satans Child.

There are a lot of little Hyam sights and sounds that we see contantly in his horror films.. The Cat jumping out from no where a character called Chicago (Kevin Pollok) even comments "I knew that was going to happen" in acknowledgement of this little trademark. Sewers and underground dwellings, subways also a Peter Hyams film make. However unlike his other films this film is really missing Hyams big happy explosive finale.

The reshoot to please the church perhaps ruined my viewing of this film.. Knowing prior to seeing it that the ending had been changed DRAMATICALLY, really made for an interesting yet completely screwed up build up. The film was headed for a all out war, not a spiritual ending. The fact that Jericho was able to make peace with god, just to save the world, really makes me think it would have been better just to keep Satan away from Christine until Midnight rather than the ending that was in the film.

I love Arnie films.. But this was not an Arnie film D.

D

HFA MAIN PAGE|POST YOUR OWN HORROR REVIEW|MAIN REVIEW|

Copyright , 1998-2000.
Click Here!

(C) 1998-99 Shane Gavin HFA.