Gods and Monsters (1998)

HORROR: Gods and Monsters

REVIEWER: Shane Gavin

REVIEW:

This film was released through Robert Altman's "Lionsgate films" therefore it only got a limited release in Australia. Which is a pity because this is possibly the best bio-pic I have seen since, "Man of 1000 faces".

The performances shone like the brightest star. But this was surely because of something other than the actors talent alone. Sure McKellen (James Whale) and Fraser (Gardner Bloke) played brilliantly in front of the screen. But the brilliance was in the screenplay converted from "Father of Frankenstein" by Bill Condon.

Condon would be known to Horror Fans as the guy who directed the mildly successful "Candyman 2: Farewell to the Flesh". If you liked Candyman 2 I think you will love "Gods and Monsters" the similarities are, as much as I hate to say it, UNCANNY.

Candyman 2 is based around the popular Urban Legend about the man with the hook that. G&M is based around Hollywood Folklore surrounding the mysterious death of one of there greatest and most poetic directors. Candyman was banished from his position as a slave for falling in love with a white girl. Whilst James Whale left Hollywood on account of the guy he was in love with. Both characters in each film die in the exact same fashion. And both films are produced by Clive Barker.

But why does "Gods and Monsters" get the Academy Award?? For one very simple reason. Candyman was not a Hollywood director. I loved every moment of Gods and Monsters, being one of Whales biggest fans (Note my sig is a quote from Whale: "The Future is Just Old Age and Pain".). The film as with the book is fictionalized so is different from most bio-pics. As Condon could only speculate about the lifestyle of James Whale, for Whale was a private man. However some of the stories of Whale and the significance of the pool fit extremely well and could quite have been the resolve of Whales life and pain.

This film is one that should not be missed. It is uplifting in all the correct places and does not for a moment shy away from its subject matter (like most cinemas in Brisbane, only 1 or 2 screens had this film). The film is not just an exploration of sexuality, it also explores the social construction of Whale and the concept of Voluntary Euthanasia. I won't give you the ending, in case you are not familiar with the life of James Whale. But this film may leave a tear in your eye that no amount of "Bride of Frankenstein" Metaphors could dry up.

I give it 2 thumbs up, if you have a third throw it up as well.

A+

HFA MAIN PAGE|POST YOUR OWN HORROR REVIEW|MAIN REVIEW|

Copyright , 1998-1999.
Click Here!

(C) 1998-99 Shane Gavin HFA.