The Haunting (1999)

HORROR: The Haunting

REVIEWER: Shane Gavin

RATING: D

REVIEW:

Considered to be one of the lemons of the year this film continued to dissapoint well into the film. A nice acting performance by Lily Talyor could not in anyway save the film. Jan De Bont (Speed) had no way to promote this film when he realised that the original was done by Robert Wise (Sound of Music) and for this reason DeBont a relatively interesting director has been foiled by the vil Spielberg. Similar to the way Tobe Hooper never recovered from "Poltergeist", I think it will be a long time before DeBont fully regains any credability.

The film follows the narrative of Shirley Jackson's novel, "The House on Haunted Hill", but DeBont seems to shy away from certain characters traits and any possibilities that surround developling a character. How is it that Lily Taylor finds herself caring about the ghosts of the children trapped within the house. We know from reading the book that Lili's character is way annoyed with being trapped in her own house, looking after her mother, this is the logical answer but DeBont Shy's away. Catherine Zeta Jones characters SEX-aholism is kind of quelled as soon as we know she has it and she thus becomes another background character. Owen Wilson has the prestige of being the one who dies in this film, whilst Dr Markaway played by Liam Neeson is not evil enough to be hated. The film should have fallen into a brilliant cross between the mad scientist/doctor plot and the discovery plot in horror films. Unfortunately this did not happen and the audience paid for it with dissapointment.

The house was a lovely testament to what 15 million bucks can buy you, but I reckon a real mansion that size wouldn't set you back as much. Hugely expensive sets that at some points simply look like plastic or styro-foam. The constant use of Brown and the stereotypical feature left nothing scary about the house. If the house were less extravagant than perhaps the film would have been more eerie. I haven't been in many houses that extravagant and therefore I find it hard to relate to such a setting.

The advertising was all about the HOUSE. The film would have made a better cover story for "Better Homes and Gardens" than it would have for "Variety" or any other film rag.

The film is funny because it is so bad and FX reliant, but most times it is just D for Dreary.

D

HFA MAIN PAGE|POST YOUR OWN HORROR REVIEW|MAIN REVIEW|

Copyright , 1998-2000.
Click Here!

(C) 1998-99 Shane Gavin HFA.