Lake Placid (1999)

HORROR: Lake Placid

REVIEWER: Shane Gavin

RATING:A-

REVIEW:

From the Assistant director on the original Friday the 13th and the director of part 2 and 3 of the same saga. The guy who just last year brough us H20, the guy who has a DGA under his belt for "The Wonder Years", comes a horror comedy that spoils its audience with special effects, brilliant FX, a lovely script and an amazingly tuned Cast.

The film takes us on the emotional journey of Kelly Scott (Bridget Fonda) after her cheating boss/ boyfriend, sends her out into the sticks to research a bone. The bone of a Giant Croc. She plays a coy game of catch with Jack Wells (Bill Pullman). They both act like they want the Croc, but the film falls into that sidestepping robot talk romance we have come to accept from David E. Kelley.

A Croc who has a couple of different sizes becomes quickly an effect and not more than that. The film come into its own whilst watching the characters develop. David E. Kelley and Steve Mine work together brilliantly to bring this film to life. I hope that for there sake they do another film sometime.

The film hasa lot of jump scares and some pretty frank Gore (reminiscent of Piranha), however it fails in one section and that is suspense. Since F13 2, Miner seems to have been using a text book suspense timer and everything goes wrong right at the point that you expect it to go wrong.

The film makes its way to A- territory because of the inclusion of one of my fav 80s actors Meredith Slaenger in her role as Deputy Sharon Gare, the girl who falls for Oliver Platts character, Hector.

A-

HFA MAIN PAGE|POST YOUR OWN HORROR REVIEW|MAIN REVIEW|

Copyright , 1998-2000.
Click Here!

(C) 1998-99 Shane Gavin HFA.