The Mummy (1999)

HORROR: The Mummy

REVIEWER: Shane Gavin

REVIEW:

The film took me by Surprise I was entering expecting a PG film with all the good old Gothic Romance taken out. Well no it didn't take me by surprise. I'll look at the film in couple of different ways. Story, Technique, Sequences, characters and context of viewing which most reviewers leave out to all to often and can really add to the experience of a film.

The film opens in ancient Egypt 1719BC when High Priest Imhotep takes a liking to ANK-SU-NAMUM the Pharaoh's born and bred mistress who is not to be touched by anyone but the Pharaoh. Well tut-tut Imoptep breaks this basic rule as his love for Ank-Su-Namum grows to strong. They go out like Romeo and Juliet with their forbidden love. Imhotep kills the Pharoah, the bodyguards of the Pharoah spring into action and Ank-Su-Namum commits suicide. Imoptep steals into the night vowing to ressurect his forbidden lover. During the ceremony Imhotep is caught and is mummified into one of the lving dead and the worst torture, locked in and sealed in a sarcophagus and entombed. With the powers of a High Priest he remained and a curse was put on him to stop anyone from ever digging him up. He is buried in Hamunaptra- The City of the dead. Imhotep is the MUMMY. When his sleep is disturbed 3000 years later he is not happy and the 10 plagues of Egypt explode on the screen, while Imhotep tries to build up the strenght to ressurect An-su-Namum and regain full strength, a bunch of treasure hunters and Egyptologists try to stop him.

Stephen Sommers writes and direct this film in a style that would be an amalgamtion of George Lucas and John Woo. The two guns firing the abundance of gunfire in this film I haven't seen since "The Killer" but the films gets a PG rating because the gun fire doesn't make holes in the victims it takes. The Sword fighting and swashbuckling , and costuming are very Indiana Jones meets Star Wars. Sommers has captured adventure and managed to put it into what is essentially a Gothic Romance and still maintain a essence of horror clearly visible in his early special FX film "Deep Rising". But also palys into the hands of industry execs in the way his films like "Tom and Huck" and "The Jungle Book" tried to but failed financially to do so. The humour he uses to levitate the characters is a lot like that of "gunmen" (Christopher Lambert, Mario Van Peebles) that he wrote.

From the outset of the trailer I was hooked on the way the FX would work and fit into specific sequences in this film. The breathtaking opening Vistas of Ancient Egypt are breathtaking and spelt out load 80 million bucks. My favorite sequence was not an entirely FX based. It was very similar to one in the recent "Legionnaire" there is a line of Foreign Legion soldiers lead by Col. Rick O'Connell up against an on coming army on horseback. The line stretches along the wall of the City of the dead. The Bullets start flying what ensues is a very John Woo gun battle. Something that the director Sommers has gotten down PAT.

Characters were fairly easy to pick the Good Guys were likable and comical the traitor was clumsy and Imhotep was and evil romantic. I found myself thinking of the old Republic serial "Shazam" and the way you coudl tell what was what by the characters likableness. Okay so the actors as a rating from most annoying upwards. Beni is played by Kevin J. O'Connor (recently in Sommer's DeepRising), was by far the mot irritating when will this guy with the bad accent die. The next worst would have to be Anck-Su-Namum, played Patricia Velazquez although not in it much you coudl not really get a reason other than eye-candy behind the reason that Imhotep died for her and I envision Imhotep as being a liitle more intelligent than to have a visual infatuation. Next would be Johnathon played by John Hannah, the character was extremely well polished and worked in well with the film to add levity his ability to paly to a PG audience was clearly deonstrated here again as it was in "The Love Bug". Evelyn would come in here Rachel Weisz played up an intelligent vultuousness in the construction of this character. Next in line would be Imhotep played by South African Arnold Vosloo. Glad he finally got a BIG SCREEN role after his protrayal of Darkman in 2 sequels Vosloo has managed to scare the crap out of the audience that I was with using gesture and a foreighn tongue, yet was still able to handle the opening romance. Rick was an all round great character by Brendon Fraser, although Fraser is likely to beocme typecast as adventure hero type do gooder. Best character was Ardeth Bay played by Oded Fehr who was one of the protectors of the city, can't wait to see what he pulls out in "Texas Rangers" 2000.

Well I saw the film at cinema 2, a medium sized cinema at the Carindale 8. The 2 large cinemas were taken by Austin and Star Wars so the experience was watered down along with the dts sound. There is a rip in the screen half way down that casts a 20 cm shadow and a gummy bear stuck to the screen which distracted me every now and than. I sit front row center and the screen in not in teh right position. It seemed to high and the top right was out of focus. Personally not a big fan of the new look Carindale shopping center that I saw the film in.. I thought they'd taken away the TOY sTORE look to the place.. But not it feels like Wonderland and the colour of the cinema wall made me vomitus. BCC should really think of shutting down Carindale 8, espeacilly when there is a Megaplex in the same bus zone and Buses don't run to the Carindale cinema from where I am after 6 pm. I choose to use public transit so I can choose to drink. go figure.:) The receptiopn of a free poster at the box-office with a lovely timeline and methos of the film was quite pleasant.

But the film still stirred a B+ reaction.

HFA MAIN PAGE|POST YOUR OWN HORROR REVIEW|MAIN REVIEW|

Copyright , 1998-1999.
Click Here!

(C) 1998-99 Shane Gavin HFA.