Stigmata  (1999)

HORROR: Stigmata

REVIEWER: Shane Gavin

RATING: A-

REVIEW:

FRESH as it is controversial, STIGMATA shocked me. I was turning up to see a film that I assumed would be nothing if not boring. The film was shocking and up front and in some ways even fetishes crucifixions. The film follows the life of non-religious Frankie Paige (Patricia Arquette) and her encounters with a very religious being that takes over her body in order to pass on a special message to an investigator that had been so far suppressed by the church.   Gabriel Byrne plays an investigator (Father Kiernan) with the church who is tempted more than once by Frankie in her various states of mind. 

Rupert Wainwright is surely a director to keep your eye on the following years. It will be interesting to see where his tools of the trade take him.  Unfortunately he is not slated to do any more films at this stager, but the research and philosophy behind this film must have had him hard at work for several years prepping for a shoot that would pay off generously. The film opened at #1 at the US box office and it was deserving of more accolades than it received.  

The film will not change the way you think about the church, it will change the way you think about belief systems and faith. The film is surely there to make you question what is faith, what is real, is faith reality or purely spiritually based. These are all difficult questions that some religions would prefer you not to ask.  The film itself is also fairly gorey in its displays. The fact that the Stigmata was passing through a woman almost made her pain more of an ecstasy and the following lavender smell seemed to romantacise the whole experience. 

The film played on my mind long after my first viewing. It is worth the cash to rent it or buy it, but if you are a card holding  member of the church it will frighten and perhaps offend you A-

HFA MAIN PAGE|POST YOUR OWN HORROR REVIEW|MAIN REVIEW|

Copyright , 1998-2000.
Click Here!