Two Hands (1998-9)

HORROR: Two Hands

REVIEWER: Shane Gavin

REVIEW:

Fresh? Well on the domestic hand of things it is fresh. On the other hand, the global hand, it has been seen before. However the interesting thing about this film about a bunch of crooks, that go after a guy that looses a pay roll has something that "Run Lola Run" and other genre type films don't have, an Aussie accent and colourful language. On one hand this is a crime film, on the other hand, as MTV's Sundance special reported earlier this year, it is a horror film. Take this film for what it is. A romp through the abnormal, a skip through the never never. And you'll come out giving the film 5 stars. But I could give you the same advice about any film you saw.

Filmed in NSW with VIC money (and beer), Gregor Jordan shows us early what he wants to achieve. Simply HOLLYWOOD. The casting for the main role was Heath Ledger an actor who was in Hollywood at the time. However without getting to nit-picky what were the great things about this film. A lot of people have said that Bryan Brown as Pando made seeing this film worth it. But honestly the character IMO was underused about as much as Darth MAul and I feared him about as much as flicked cigarette. But there were tougher villains, the name Acko (David Field: Ghosts of the Civil Dead) brought with it something tougher than PANDO. I guess because Acko kills some one.

Unfortunately the Adverts I saw were too long and stole all the greatest lines from the film, but I still managed to crack up laughing. Especially when it comes to the cheap shot the film has at commercial radio stations. However the 2nd underlying storyline is not shown in any trailer so the ending although not unexpected will not be lost in the trailers.

Don't buy the soundtrack until you have seen the film, or you might end up like me, tapping along to the tunes while missing some of the action on screen. In parts it lead me to ask myself whether or not Jordan had made film-clips. The Music kept pace brilliantly with what was on screen, top and tail of this film. The Opening credit (Belter- Powderfinger) were nothing short of Amazing.

There were plenty of film references littered throughout this film. My fav would have to be the very, "Blue Velvet" like scene where Pando and co. takes Jimmy for a ride, and on the CHRSYLER CHARGER's stereo we hear "This Guys in Love" by The Reels.

The fact that it was the first film since "BABE" to make it to number 1 in Australia should send out a message to the AFC and FILM AUSTRALIA exactly what the audience wants to see. An action film full of car chases, guns and MONEY. Just like a Hollywood film. However I doubt that we will see another "Two Hands" in Australia, because directors as good ad Gregor Jordan, will have no reason to stay in Australia to further their career, unless some HUGE Aussie Production studio opens up over night we will loose him much the same as we lost, Miller, Noyce, Beresford and Weir.

It's hard to say whether or not I would have like this film if it was released by some Hollywood company. I think I'm just being nationalistic when I say I like it. But I really enjoyed this film. Even though I'm sick of seeing Sydney is Australian films. However I know in the past year I have seen short films made on tinier budgets in Brisbane that would be on a par with "Two Hand" or put it to shame. But why compare tomatoes to Potatoes? All up because of Pando's character being hyped up by other reviewers and not living up to expectations, and the simple fact that the character Alex (Rose Byrne: Stygian [from memory that was kings cross as well], Echo Point) brought in that stinking old Australian film theme of BUSH and CITY. I can only find a A- in my heart for this film. Overall it was a GOOD USE OF HOLDEN.

A-

HFA MAIN PAGE|POST YOUR OWN HORROR REVIEW|MAIN REVIEW|

Copyright , 1998-1999.
Click Here!

(C) 1998-99 Shane Gavin HFA.