Y2K- Shut Down Detected

HORROR: Y2K- Shut Down Detected

REVIEWER: Shane Gavin

RATING: A

REVIEW:

Heres a film I'd been busting to see for a long time. Based on the screenplay of a feature film comes a short film with a budget of 2,100 dollars and a production that looks all, or more than 200 thouasand dollars. The film has been made over an extended period of time and the FX alone took 160 nights to do. It is directed by John Gonzales, Trent Shumway and Slava Siderman. The directors are best know for being "Black Russian Films". 

The film plays on the common fear that many people had at the turn of this past century and as we enter the present century. The film is set in a genetic science laboratory at just prior too and after the MIDNIGHT. The computers are not Y2K compliant and some serious bad ass gene splicing starts to occur and some sub-species creating monstrosity emerges from the beakers. It's quest is simple, to multiply and take over the earth, but first it has to try and take on the pesky humans that work at the facility where human DNA is being put through its paces in more than one way. 

The Heroes in this film are likely and unlikely. The first hero is the unlikely one, the Mercenary Hacker, that kind of goes a little ape trying to defend himself against the disaster that he could not prevent with his computer hacking skills.  The hacker is called Neil and he is portrayed by Jason Fenton,  when Neil puts down the keyboard and swaps it for an axe get ready to be soaked in the blood of the damned. The likely hero is Richie a Security Guard, played by model/actor Leonard Clifton (Amistad, My brothers Keeper). The security bored to death with his job and failr unhappy with the fact he is working on new years eve. The character come into his own when he is faced with the grizzly task of shooting the crap out a superhumanoid DNA enriched humanoid that really wants to kill him. Clifton as an actor continued to impress I kept an eye out for him yesterday whilst watching Amistad and was impressed by the differentiation in both of his roles. The other hero is Megan although I'm sure she would come into her own in a full version of the film, she only seems to be Neil's better half in this film. Megan is portrayed by Ellen Horn.

The other hero in this film is called SPECIAL EFFECTS. Now I hear you say how can the SPECIAL EFFECTS be SPECIAL in a 2,100 film? Whoaah!!!.. When you see the film you just will be eating those words. Until recently I have not been a fan of CGI, as I was a fimr believer it robbed the industry of many other workers, but really the advancements of CGI have meant that a brilliant EFFECT can be achieved at a lower price for the producers of INDIE film like Y2K. The most amazing FX sequence is by far the underground car park, where the DNA monster takes flight after a fleeing human, smashing car windows as it goes. However CGI is not he only FX type used keep an eye on the screen and their is plenty of SFX make-up to keep fans of gore and scar-tissue.

The only folly of the film is the fact that it could only be made at 2,100 which most likely limited the directors to a 22 minute film. However this makes more than a fascinting show reel for Hollywood access or for getting bucks from producers. In comparison with early short films from the likes of James Cameron, this clearly rates high on the same kind of quality scale. 

As an audience member I have enjoyed watchin the video over and over. I've seen it at leat 6-7 times and shared it with friends who have also sat back in a stunned silence. For this reason I give it the 2 thumbs and a rating of A. A for Anyone who has the money should give it to these guys because you'll most likely double it. :) 

A

OFFICIAL SITE

HFA MAIN PAGE|POST YOUR OWN HORROR REVIEW|MAIN REVIEW|

Copyright , 1998-2000.
Click Here!

(C) 1998-99 Shane Gavin HFA.