Steve's Arena

Last updated on July 10, 1998

"To you from failing hands we throw the torch.
Be yours to hold it high."

~~ Found in the Montreal Canadiens dressing room

NHL Hockey

Being Canadian...one must love hockey. I've watched it for as long as I can remember and every saturday night during hockey season you can find me glued to the t.v. watching Hockey Night In Canada. (HNIC) Which is pretty much a religion for most Canadians!! We sit religiously and watch our favourite teams battle each other for hockey supremacy and the right to make the playoffs and compete for the Stanley Cup.

The Stanley Cup

"Lord Stanley's Cup"

The Stanley Cup, oldest trophy competed for by professional athletes in North America, was donated in 1892 by Sir Frederick Arthur, Lord Stanley of Preston and son of the Earl of Derby. He purchased the trophy for 10 Guineas ($50.00 at that time) to be presented to "the championship hockey club of the Dominion of Canada."

Since 1910, when the National Hockey Association took possession of the Stanley Cup, the trophy has been symbolic of professional hockey supremacy and has been competed for only by NHL teams since 1926.

In 1946, the NHL took exclusive control of the Stanley Cup and there have been numerous alterations to the Cup structure. Because the Cup is the only professional sports trophy where the name of every member of the winning team is inscribed, bands are often retired to make room for new champions. Retired bands, along with the original Stanley Cup bowl, are proudly displayed in Lord Stanley�s Vault in the Bell Great Hall.

Interested in learning about hockey's past? Visit the Hockey Hall Of Fame.

Below are the 27 teams in the NHL along with the 3 expansions teams which should be in the NHL by the year 2000.
Just click on the team logo to link to their site.

And be sure to check the very bottom for links to my favourite players.

New Jersey
Devils

New York
Islanders

New York
Rangers

Philadelphia
Flyers

Pittsburgh
Penguins

Boston
Bruins

Buffalo
Sabres

Montreal
Canadiens

Ottawa
Senators

Toronto
Maple Leafs

Carolina
Hurricanes

Florida
Panthers

Tampa Bay
Lightning

Washington
Capitals

Chicago
Blackhawks

Detroit
Red Wings

Nashville
Predators

St. Louis
Blues

Calgary
Flames

Colorado
Avalanche

Edmonton
Oilers

Vancouver
Canucks

Mighty Ducks
Of Anaheim

Dallas
Stars

Los Angeles
Kings

Phoenix
Coyotes

San Jose
Sharks

Minnesota
Wild

Atlanta
Thrashers

Columbus
Blue Jackets

Winners of 1998 Stanley Cup playoffs

Favourite players...

Guy Lafleur
John LeClair
Steve Yzerman

Return to the Rookery!!!

Any personal comments or suggestions, you can...
Email: [email protected]

Nuihc 1999
...in association with NHL.com