The History of Macedonia
as told by a former pastor

In the year 1889, Rev. J. B. Wilkins and Rev. R. C. Bramlet members of the Georgia Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church were invited by the people of the Garrett, now known as the Macedonia Community, to come over from Georgia and Preach in their Community. Which invitation these brothern accepted and held a protracted meeting of a few days, which resulted in the conversion of several souls to Christ and the organizing of these new converts with others who had previously professed faith in Christ, into a Methodist Church membership, but with no church to worship in.

In the latter part of the year 1890, the writer, Rev. E.F. Dean was sent by the Georgia Conference to serve this people as pastor. And soon after my going the proposition to build a church house began to be agetated and after the question of location was settled, a board of trustees was appointed and approved by the first Quarterly conference for the new organization, consisting of J. R. Barnes, W. A. Hodges, G. W. Garrett, W. E. Phillips, and S. M. Lyons. The track of land selected for the Church Lot, consisting of two and one half acres, on which the church now stands.

At that time there had been three men buried in what is now the Cemetery. They had been killed by the Indians. Two of them were buried in the same box which was removed from an ox cart and used for a coffin. Today there are nearly two hundred graves in this well fenced and well kept Cemetery.

The lot was bought from C. B. Macclenny and a deed was made January 12, 1892 to this board of trustees in trust for the Methodist Episcopal Church. An application for a donation of $100.00 and a loan of $100.00 more was made to the board of church extension of the M.E. Church Philadelphia, Pa. which was granted.

The lumber and other necessary material for the building of the church was paid for with this money leaving but little to pay for labor and other necessary expenses. But the writer being a carpenter and with help of the community, the church as it stands, was built with the exception of Re-Roofing with metal roofing. replacing the old shingle roofing which went into decay.

The church was painted a few years after it was built. My recollection serves me that I received $ 1.00 per day and community board for four weeks service.

Later the section of land in which the church lot stands, was sold without any reservation of the church lot. Which involved the necessity of procuring a new deed for church lot, which was done and an additional two and one half acres was procured making the Church lot, as it now stands five acres. the deed to which is on record.

From the time the church was built and several years following, Macedonia had remarkable success. Congregations filled the house on ordinary meeting days. Many precious souls found peace with God and many were added to the church and a large membership was enrolled. But death and removals have reduced the membership to a small few who still hold the old home place sacred, because of precious memories and having loving ones buried there. Fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters, and friends whom they hope to meet in Heaven.

At the invitation of the present pastor, Rev. H.T. Foley, the writer went back to this church this past fifth Sunday in January 1944, and preached morning and afternoon. We had a real home coming and a great day. At night I preached for Brother Foley in Macclenny church. I just passed my 91st birthday January 5th.

Very Respectfully
E. F. Dean, Former Pastor
February 24, 1944

(E.F. Dean died on March 16, 1946)