mule pulling a cart, guitar and watermelons

Some people just love to tell those of us who live in north Florida that "Everybody knows North Florida is really just South Georgia."

Yeah, yeah, yeah; I have heard that all my life. It is meant as some kind of insult I think, not that there is anything wrong with Georgia; it is a great state, but I think a better case can made that South Georgia is really North Florida.

dancing alligatorBoth South Georgia and North Florida have humid sub-tropical climates, swampy terrain, pecans, slash pines, alligators, palm trees and palmettos. Both can grow tobacco and sugar cane but don't do all that well with cotton. Florida's borders once included a good part of what is now south Georgia.

bluesmanCertainly Both Florida and Georgia are deep in the heart of Dixie, down right as deep as you can get really; and, although Florida never did exactly fit into any kind of "Gone With the Wind" profile, neither did much of the American South including South Georgia. There is a lot of territory between "Tara" and "Tobacco Road," but it is all somehow more distinctly American than perhaps anywhere else on earth.

I mean, think about it! How many things that seem most uniquely American are Southern in origin, or at least sojourned in Dixie for a while, from Elvis to Coca Cola, to quote the old oxymoron, and, everything between and beyond; for better and/or worse and who is to decide which is which?

coke emblem

American culture is popular culture, and popular culture has a strong Southern flavor.

striped star

football player

Popular culture serves a very important purpose in American life. Having so many different backgrounds, religions, political beliefs, and ethnic identities, it is the way we come together, our common meeting ground.

fastfood

I am not all together sure why Americans decided to go South for our own unique gathering of the clans; but, I do have a theory.

Not everyone comes to this country for "freedom or even "opportunity." That old chestnut is an idealization and exaggeration of reality. The truth is that people have always came to America, and are still coming to America, for the same reasons they go to any new place. Sometimes it is for a better life, including greater freedom. Sometimes it is to be with loved ones, and sometimes it is simple wanderlust. At other times it has been because they were given no choice.

This last item was particularly true in the past. The evil of slavery and the shadow it has cast over America and its culture, particularly that of the South, has been well documented. Much less well documented is that before the American Revolution the "The Colonies" were a dumping ground for those the British Crown considered "undesirable." Most of these so-called "undesirables" were sent to what is the now the American South. After the American Revolution the British turned to Australia; and, Botany Bay got to be famous. Ain't that grand, how things work out!

hot sauce At first the new emigrants probably wished they were back home. Almost certainly those who found themselves in slavery did; but, they were not permitted to glorify their homeland and were strongly discouraged from being too "African." They had to build a whole new culture from what they could salvage even as they struggled to be considered Americans; not Africans, Americans, and in that I considered the term "Afro-American" a step backward.

Those The Crown had considered undesirable my guess is at first mourned the loss of family and friends as well as the life they had known which at least had the comfort of familiarity. Then they began to make the best of a bad situation along the way discovering that maybe the bad situation wasn't so bad after all! But that didn't make them grateful to those who had in essence thrown them out of their homes; quite the contrary, it was more like "Scr*w y*u! I can do just fine without yoou!" and they turned their backs on the world they had known in the process creating, if not a whole new world, a whole new culture.

Given the close proximity, it was inevitable these two cultures would influence each other if not quite merge. Together they became Southern culture, two sides of the same coin; made one by their sheer Americaness in that both may have brought things from "the old world," that was inevitable; but they not longer looked to that world for any kind of guidance or inspiration.

banjoThis has often been taken for bigotry and narrow mindedness by others; and, upon occasion, although I hate to admit it, it can be just that when it becomes a kind of strident nationalism; but, all over the world, in any culture, there are always those who take things too far.

And... what is wrong in finding your own way and being proud of it; and, would not the world be a poorer place without Southern imagination, stubbornness, and pride?

You see, stubbornness* and pride** are not necessarily the bad things they are often made out to be, they can be valuable tools in the face of adversity; and, most people around this world could use more of both, not less.

*stubbornness, in my opinion, might be best considered as simply a gritty determination. It is not to be confused with stupidity which is what happens when you keep making the same mistake over and over, butting your head against a wall and refusing to face reality. It is always a good idea to learn to recognize reality when it stares you in the face. Just because you don't believe in the tiger does not stop it from ripping you to threads.

**And pride is not to to be confused with being plain "stuck up," the idea that you are somehow better than others: smarter perhaps, better looking, morally superior... No pride is simply being what we nowadays call "centered" and having a good sense of your own self worth.

As for us native Floridians, we are certainly proud and stubborn enough. We eat grits, cornbread, and collard greens. We speak with a drawl; and, we consider ourselves Southerners because our past and our culture have always been tied to the South.

And that's the way it is!

making syrup Making syrup in Garden City, Florida from home grown sugar cane.
a team of oxen
Garden City oxen
site index

home