a grey cat walking
It was a dark and stormy night!

Well, actually it was a very hot and hazy summer day!

My mother had left Walter and Mildred with her mother to walk a short distance to Nelson and Della's house. It was a typical house of their place and time, built by Nelson however he could from whatever supplies he could get his hands on. Like most houses of its type, its design did not make much sense; and, the bathroom was connected to the house but still off to the side, kind of on the porch, much like a later house that Nelson and Della were to live in on 23rd Street here in Jacksonville. The porch was large with three rocking chairs and there was a well in front. It was on that porch that my mother found Della and Mae, each sitting in a "rocker" and shelling peas.

She took the third rocking chair and quickly joined them.

The day wore on getting hotter and more hazy by the minute. This was in the days before electric fans. There were "iceboxes;" but, ice was still a pretty precious commodity, so all they had to cool them down was fresh water from the well and a slight breeze which suddenly seemed to have picked up!

track of the cat! It is hard to say who first noticed the cat, just that it was suddenly there some distance beyond the well!

It was a grayish color tabby, what people used to call "brindle," and appeared quite young although certainly not a kitten.

It jumped up on the rim of the well and walked about halfway around to the other side, then jumped down and proceeded across the yard to the porch and up the porch stairs where it stood in front of Della and let out a simple "Meow!"

Della spoke to the cat like it was a person. "Kitty, you hungry? Go around back. There is some food in the kitchen." This was not unusual behavior for Della and my mother assumed that this was one of the many stray cats that Della and Nelson fed. Della was to later tell her that she had never seen the cat before.

The cat acted like it understood and jumped off the porch seemingly headed towards the back.

My mother was seated somewhat sideways so that she could see the long hall which separated the bathroom from the main body of the house. The cat had no sooner left than she saw the door at the end of the hall swing outward and the cat walk out. 'It must not be hungry.' my mother thought because she was sure it had not had time to eat.

By this time, the cat was back on the porch. "Meow!" it said. "Now where the hell did that cat come from?" The slightly off color language was typical Della. My mother didn't quite understand why Della was concerned about where the cat came from. Cats are cats. They have a way of coming and going, appearing and disappearing; and they certainly can hide. Della was to later say she didn't know exactly why she was so concerned, just that she knew all the doors except the kitchen door in the back were closed and she didn't see the cat come around, hop up on the porch, or anything.

For some reason that concerned her.

My mother explained thinking to end it. "He came through the door down the hall. It must not have been closed to."

By this time the cat was walking back and forth on the porch and the "meow" had turned into a "yeowll." It was gradually getting louder and louder.

Mae finally spoke up. "What's wrong kitty?" She started to pet him; but, drew back when he spat at her!

Della was still concerned about where the cat had came from. "Susie, that cat could not have come through that door. The door is locked and there is a big trunk in front of it."

"Della I saw the door swing out."

"Now I know you're seeing things. That door opens inward."

"Della, I saw..."

By this time the cat was so loud it was making them raise their voices too! It continued to walk back and forth across the porch, its cries increasing in intensity.

Finally all they could do was stare almost afraid to move as the cat paced back and forth, back and forth, getting louder and louder and louder until it just wasn't there anymore!

Three woman had been looking straight at a noisy cat which just disappeared into thin air, cries and all!

No one ever saw it again or had any explanation for what happened!

I have no explanation.

I just present the story as it was told to me.

Some time ago, I told this story on a mailing list I belong to. There were several comments including one by a woman who wondered what the cat could have wanted. Another replied telling her the answer to that was simple.

"The cat wanted those doors opened. You know how much cats hate closed doors!"

HOME
SITE INDEX
The Bell Witch Walter Bell's
  Bell Witch Site
The Jersey Devil