Me
I am what I am

A certain "sailor man" understood that as it applied to him; and, probably as it applies to others as well.

It is not a popular concept nowadays. We are supposed to "invent" and "reinvent" ourselves ala "Madonna" who, as far as I can tell, is still Madonna!

But Prince Charles can go hunting and fishing in a baseball cap and jeep, can make that his preferred activity. Would anyone call him a redneck! I don't think so! Likewise I can put on the fanciest clothes and manners; but, no one would ever consider me "royalty" or even upper class!

And that is just fine because it doesn't mean that I am not as "good" as they are! It just means that I have a background that affects me in countless subtle ways just as the same is true of everyone else on this planet including the British Royal Family.

And there you have it!

I am a redneck because I was born and raised a redneck.

one sunflower

Joe Davis on his Redneck RamPage plays to some of the stereotypes; but, he still makes some excellent points about what a redneck is and isn't. You might enjoy what he has to say; but, if you want a "quick and dirty" definition of redneck: a redneck is a poor white working class Southerner or the child of a poor white working class Southerner. It takes a couple of generations to work your way "up" from being a "redneck."

America is not the "class free society" we like to pretend we are!

home back more
site index