November 3, 2002
In these United States it is election time once again
and once again I have to try somehow to care.
The President, an elephant and a donkey
I feel guilty being this way
especially since I used to get so angry at those who feel
exactly as I do now.

"Things will never change if you don't vote." I used to tell them.

Now I realize although that is still true, it is also true that things will never change until we have meaningful election reform; reform that will level the playing field and bring real issues front and center instead of what we have now which is the guy with the most money wins because he can get his name and issues out there and spin them as he pleases while more worthy candidates and issues go begging.

This is an issue not on the voters minds. That observation is hardly new.
But why?

Well for one thing, monied interests which control the media keep the issue out of the headlines. They allow occasional mention of the subject as a kind of byline so they can say they have reported on the issue; but, the scandal that is big money in our government goes
largely unreported.

Then there is something more dangerous, more deadly to our democracy; and, that is the fact that so many have been sold on this idea that nothing will ever change, so why try; the powers that be will always find a way, so why try?

Well maybe so; but, I for one do not intend to hand it to them on a silver platter which is why I will be voting next tuesday.

I don't feel like I have much of a choice in candidates; and, the candidates I do vote for probably won't win, but I will be voting. I am not going to make it easy for them.
home site index