Florida does have its weather!
Deborah and ice
Yup, that is ice on that thar mimosa tree! Right here in Florida!

The girl is my niece, Deborah. Her sister, Vicki, is behind her. The year is about 1962 or '63. I don't remember exactly; but, I do remember it was cold that year.

It does get cold here in north Florida! We usually have a couple of freezes each winter. Maybe these are not much of a freeze by the standards of more northern climes; but, it is cold enough for us; and, occasionally we do have winters in which there are some really hard freezes and even snow and ice!

We didn't have any snow during that winter when the above picture was taken; but, as you see, there was plenty of ice.

The picture of me below was taken during the same freeze. I am sitting at the edge of a pond that was normally dense with vegetation; but, which had all been killed. The ground is crusted with ice.

Me at the pond

I have seen snow exactly three times in my life!

The first time was during the winter of 1957-58. It was my first snow and it was the heaviest snow of my life. There was about three inches on the ground and it stayed there for days.

At school we made a snowman. It was all very exciting!

The second time I saw snow was during the very cold winter of 1976-77. There was not as much as in the earlier snow; but, there was some on the ground and I had to brush it off the the car.

Pillsbury and Cookie did not approve! Neither one would go out until the snow was gone!

It snowed again on Christmas of 1989. So yes, we had a White Christmas! In my opinion, they are overated!

home site index stormy weather!