PEEKING THROUGH
THE BACK WINDOW
OF TEXAS IN 1866
The following were actual letters written to their sisters and family members, still living in Mississippi, from Lizzie W. and her brother Robert (Bob). They had migrated with her husband John and some of their family from Mississippi to the small community of Bright Star, Texas. They had made the move shortly after the War Between the States had ended. (The town of Bright Star was later renamed to Sulfur Springs.)

Most white people in the south were embittered about loosing the war. Many had lost their homes and most had lost at least one relative during the fighting. Almost every family in the southern states had their old way of life torn apart and were trying to adjust their lives to fit into their new world.

Farming families in particular were caught in a transitional period. They were struggling with the new idea that they had to find money to pay wages to all farm hands. To make maters worse it was a time when money was very scarce.

These letters are being used here to paint a word picture of how the average Texans lived and thought in 1866.

Lizzie was pregnant and the time for her baby was very near when she wrote the first letter. It seems obvious that she was upset and afraid to face a frightening experience without having help.

Bright Star, Texas

February 4, 1866

Dear Sisters and Friends,

This Sabbath night I seat myself to write you a few lines. Mr. Rogers is going to start in the morning and sent word around this evening to us to have letters at his house by sun up tomorrow and he would convey them across the river for us so you will see we have but little time to write in. Well Bob is sitting at the other side of the table writing and he will no doubt tell you what he is doing and has done. How he rented his place, loaned out his corn, fodder ----- and how he is working this year. I will tell you of my own affairs and how I am getting on. John has just got well out of a very serious sickness and has gone to work preparing for his crop. He has no help except for Sam. The other Negroes all left Christmas ---- Sol and Riar with their families are living at the Weavers in Patsy’s house. George and Patsy went to Jefferson. Lewis is to large to stay anywhere long. He left home after the "break up". I am doing all my work except what ma helps me. Cooking, milking and everything. I try to get clear of washing, but can’t get a Negro every time. Have only washed 2 days. John tried to hire a Negro to do my work til April, but he was sick at the time. Negroes were disposing of their carcasses and before we could get out, all that were any account had procured homes. I don’t care. I don’t mind doing my work and Negroes are so trifling now. If I can get one to wait on me through March, they can all go to Old Abe after for all I care. Sarah has hired herself to the Browns in town at six dollars per month and clothes herself. She has Ann with her, but I am going to take her this summer. Sarah expects Martin to come this summer or fall --- after her. She said I tell him to come. Mr. Goodson hasn’t a "Nig" on his place except for one little girl, Priss. And they are doing all their work. The old man has bought an interest in a steam mill in Titus County and spends most of his time there. He is also investing largely in a stock of Goods Rogers is going north to buy.

Leanna I feel very uneasy about you. You did not write a line by Sue B. and Cinda and Aunt Ruth both wrote of your bad health. I was glad to see Sue and sorry that they disappointed Cinda so. I would have been so glad to see her and sorry too for her to come and leave you alone. Bob is making all his arrangements for keeping house again next fall and getting you and Cinda here by that time. He and Adelaide were to lonely after John and I left there and Adelaide is too careless and thoughtless to keep house. She is staying at Mrs Weaver’s now, but is going to stay at Mrs. Petty’s till next fall. I still make some cloth. I made 55 yards of jeans this fall. Sarah and I spun the warp of 25 yards and I bought warp for the balance. I wove 25 yards of it and John getting sick I had to hire the weaving of the other piece. I made John a coat, two vests and three pair of pants. Bob a coat, vest and three pair of pants and Willie a coat and two pair of pants and sold 12 yards. I am going to make a piece now to make Sam’s and Willie’s summer pants. Then I will quit for awhile. I will send you a piece of my last new dress. Ma and I made one alike. I trimmed mine with white cord and buttons and it is a nice dress. I don’t know when I will make any more. Cinda I wish you could see my little Mary. I know you would love her. She is very fond of her Grandma and she is a perfect dunce about her, can not bear to hear her scolded even. She follows me everywhere I go and her little tongue is never still. She has a large doll which Ella Smith gave her, and she calls it Ella, gets it out occasionally and plays with it, then puts it back. Willy is going to school at our old schoolhouse. Billy Nelson teaches. The little fellow has a long walk, but it’s the best we can do for him. He goes from ma’s, is reading in McGuffy’s 1st reader and spelling. He was so proud of his knife and the hat that uncle Jimmy’s boy sent him. Sue bought him a very pretty white handled knife with the money and he is very careful of it. Tell my little cousin Addie that cousin Lizzie away in Texas can only remember her as a little baby for such she was when I last saw her, but when I see the last handkerchief she sent I am forced to the conclusion that she is more then a baby now. I suppose Aunt Ruth’s ma will give her a few lines as she knows that Mr. Rogers is going east. I have not seen any of them in some time as I do not go to town now. But, they are all well or were a few days ago. Aunt Jinny is with them yet. Lou and Mary have left. Sis it is getting late. Bob is done and I must quite. I want you to write some every chance and if you ever have another such a chance for Cinda to come, send her on. We are going to try to make arrangements to get here by next fall ------ but we have to do it with as little ------as possible. Give my love to all my Friends and Relatives. If I had known in time that Mr. Rogers was going to carry letters I would have some written to you all.

Give my respects to Mrs. Alderson, Sarah Jane and Mr. Smith’s girls. They were my nearest neighbors last year and I liked them very much. Tell Sally Alderson I heard Bro. Pitt Petty inquiring if they had ever heard from her since she left and passing very flattering compliments on her which I think she deserved. Ma sends her respects to you and Richard Craig. Nothing more but remain your sister

Lizzie W.

The following letter, written by Robert, is the one that Lizzle said he was writing on the other side of the table while she was writing the one above. Like many men, his was much shorter then Lizzie's and not sprinkled with day to day happenings and details.

Bright Star, Texas
Feb 4, 1866

Dear Sisters,
Having an opportunity of sending letters I will avail myself of it. I have not written to you so long that I know I can not write an interesting letter, but probably will be of some satisfaction. I have no doubt but that have looked for me to come after you this fall, but in vane. It was to late for me to start a crop after getting home and not being able to work much otherwise. I have made but little and it is well known that my occupation has not been very profitable for the last four years and for these reasons I have not come. I have commenced a crop this year and think if I am successful I will be able to visit you next winter. I and Will Wells are farming together, have rented our place to a Mr. Melton for the year. We have a very good little home and if you were here we could live I imagine as happy as anybody, but we would have to work for our living for we have nothing to keep us from it. You have no idea how Lizzie has lived since this war. She has a hard row to weed. It has taken pretty much all we had to support her and family together with her bad luck. But, with all of that I consider that we have been blessed. We now enjoy fine health and in a condition to do well if kind providence will continue to favor us

If you have any chance of coming between this and next summer or fall I will be glad to see you come and will pay any person a good price that will bring you for it will be late in the winter before I can come after you having my crop on hand to dispose of. I want you if one comes south come for I know that aunt Ruth has enough to do to provide for her own family if she lost her freedman. I would like it very much if you all could visit us this summer. I think Mrs. Wilkins is looking for aunt and her family some time during the year. Tell cousin Dick I intended writing to him but will have to be excused as I am very tired tonight. I would like very much for him to visit us this year but Miss Sue Butler tells me he is to much smitten with Miss ----- to ever leave her unless he brings her along. Give my best respects to all relatives and friends and excuse this short letter as Lizzie will give you the full history of affairs.

Your Brother Robert N

The following letter, written by Lizzie was written 8 months after the first one. The baby, Nanny, is about 6 months old now, but Lizzie is still feeling poorly and is bitter about her inlaws, the Wells. Although she didn't feel like writting, she managed to put down about 1,000 words. Times are still hard in 1866 Texas, but she sees better times just around the corner.

Bright Star, Texas
October 15,1866

Dear Sisters

It is Sunday morning and feeling so unwell I don't think I can write much. But can't let such a good chance slip and not write a little. I have been sick ever since yesterday. John went to town yesterday evening and saw Mrs. Withers and ------ but as they are writing it is unnecessary for me to say anything about them. Mrs. W. was here to see me last week the first time she has visited me this year and I visited her once. She and I are alike. Both stay at home. She never goes out of town and I never go to town only on business. John is away from home hunting land. He has sold his place near his mammy's and is going to buy an improved place. Sis I have been married five years and am just now fixing to go to housekeeping. I have been living all the time with just what things we brought to Texas. Now John and Bob are both ready for housekeeping and I have just handed our things all over to Bob. Pots, Churn, Beds, Bed clothing (what is left of them) and am furnishing myself anew making sheets, tablecloths, pillow slips, mattresses etc. and as Bob of that to do he needs you here to do it for him but I fear we will not be able to go after you and I don't see how he will keep house without you. Bob has plenty to live on if he had you here but he is not able to furnish himself with a wagon and team to go after you. If George Melton the man who rented our place had paid him all he owed him he would have gone back with Later White but Melton acted "dog" and I'm afraid he never will. He saved his rent by attaching his crop when he went to move but he owes him a good bit besides. I wish you were here. If you could all get home and I have a home of my own so you could come and see me and stay with me without being insulted we could all enjoy ourselves so well. Lenna, I can tell you something about what kind of life I live here. I've been sick all summer. Have never been stout since little Nannie was born. She is a sweet little fat baby. I am afraid you will be partial to her for she is a Nelson like bad Cinda used to look. Mary is as perfect a Wells as could have been made. She grows fast and will be so much company for me when I get home. She is an eternal little gabler. Follows me around every where I go. Cinda we got your long letter a few days ago and it reminds me of the long mischievous letters I used to write when I was young and giddy like you but I have seen to much trouble since I've been in Texas that I am not the Lizzie I used to be. When John and I get out of this hated farming and get a home of our own I think I will enjoy my self again. John is kind to me and if him and Manda Fisher were out of the Wells family I would not care if the balance of the family was in the bottom of the Pacific Ocean. I have been treated so badly by them that I could not do otherwise then hate them. Sis if I was at home and fixed up I could write you a long letter. We will move in a week or two. Then when I get fixed up I will write you a letter and tell it all. I'd like to write a few lines to you all if I had time and felt like it but I feel so unwell. I must tell you that Matt Calicoutte and the Don Hyle are married . Sue can tell you about all the girls. Posi and Hern and all. I'm sorry Sue is going away for I have had no enjoyment with her. If she could stay till I get home she could come to my house and I could treat her as I wish. I could enjoy myself with the girls as I used to. Children I hope you will still have some chance to come. Bob may go this winter horseback. I don't know. He doesn't know yet himself. I wish he could go. If any chance presents itself I want Aunt Ruth to send you. If she can't send both send one. She has enough to support her little ones without you and Cinda.
Children write often. Give my love to all my friends, Uncles, Aunts, Cousins and Friends. Ask Mag Craig who she takes it after to be so large and ask Cinda Nelson who she takes it after to be so bad. I could answer that question but I don't know that anyone else could. Mary often talks about you both and is anxious to see you. She says Aunt Cinda will stay with us when she comes and she imagines her a little girl to play with her. Says she wishes Nannie would make haste and get as large as she is. I have never told her that Nannie is your namesake. Nannie Leana W..

I will quit,
Your loving sister
Lizzie W

This Page Created By
Corky's Web Pages
E-Mail Corky