Betsy's Story
I have met this lady in person and even ridden in her van with her. She is an amazing yet very humble lady. And she is the epitome of the word "Lady".

I was due in mid-December, 1959.  My mother went into labor in
mid-September, two and a half months prematurely.  Her regular obstetrician was away on vacation. His associate told my father to take my mother to the Catholic Hospital in Trenton, NJ.

When she arrived, the doctors determined that I was transverse (sideways) in her womb. My mother was knocked out so she would no longer be able to push.  If she had gone into labor, one of my arms would have come out first.  The doctor went in (no C-section) turned
me and pulled me out.  I tipped the scale at a whopping two pounds, eight
ounces and was fourteen inches long.  I was immediately placed in an incubator.  My mother went home three days later without her new daughter in her arms.

My parents have told me that I received excellent care from Sister Rose, one of the nursing nuns.  Sister Rose took a special interest in me.  She put the Patron Saint of Premature Babies on my incubator.  That was not all she did to help me...

All babies lose weight after they are born. I was no exception to the
rule.  However, when you start life as little as I was, losing weight was not a good thing for me to do. I dropped to one pound, thirteen ounces before I started to gain again.

Late one night in October of that same year, the doctors called my
parents.  The medical staff wanted to inform my parents that, in the staff's opinion, their daughter may not make it through the night.  After a sleepless night for my parents, they went to the hospital to discover that I, indeed, had made it... and, 41 years later, I am still here!

When I became stronger, I was taken out of the incubator and placed in a "warm bed."  Working in Trenton at the time, my father always visited me on his way home.  My mother, who was taking care of my four year old brother, came to see me whenever
she could.  One evening, Sister Rose came out of the nursery to speak with my father. She said, 'Mr. Walton, I hope you won't be upset with me; I took Elizabeth (my given name) to the Chapel and prayed with her."  My father told her he was not upset at all.  In fact, he has told me on numerous occasions that he believes, part of the reason I am alive today is due to
Sister Rose. I cannot deny him that belief at all.  In mid-November, having
reached the goal weight of five pounds, I was allowed to go home.

As I grew, my parents noticed I did not achieve the physical milestones
my brother did at the same age.  When I was eighteen months old, my  pediatrician recommended my parents take me to Children's Hospital for an extensive evaluation.  At the end of four days of tests, including a spinal tap (which I am grateful not to remember) the doctors confirmed
my pediatrician's diagnosis: Cerebral Palsy; Rigid Quadriplegia (now
referred to as Spastic/Quadraplegia)  Their prognosis: "Take her home; give her lots of tender loving care; don't expect too much, though; she may not amount to much."  My parents took me home and thought otherwise.

Very soon after the prognosis, my parents put me in physical,
occupational and speech therapy.  By the age of four, I was walking with hip length braces and underarm crutches. I began "school" at age six.  The class was made up of other children with disabilities. There I learned the three R's, art, music, touch-typing and many other things.  When I was
nine, I had hamstring and abductor operations on my legs in the same
summer.  By age twelve, I was mainstreamed into the regular fifth grade.  I walked up to the Superintendent of Schools in 1979 to receive my regular high school diploma.  I did the same in 1984 to receive my BS in Special Education from the Chairperson of the Department. In 1987 I walked up to receive my Masters in Education degree.

I have lived on my own now for a little over eleven years.  I drive my
own mini van.  I work as a Professional Math Tutor at a local community college.  I need a Personal Care Attendant to help with laundry, cooking, light housekeeping and minimal personal care.  I have an active social life with many friends, including friends in the Cerebral Palsy Network's Chat Room.  I am active in my church and sing in the Adult Choir. I love to
read, write, sing, talk and listen to music.  I am also proud to be "owned"
by a handsome four month old black and white (face like a panda's) kitten named Ling-Ling.

There have been time when CP has gotten me "down." I have been able to keep my depressions on an even keel... medication and counseling help tremendously. Keeping active and mentally stimulated help raise my mood.  I do not let "cp" get me down anymore!  I have worked hard to achieve the level of independence I have today. I plan to keep moving
forward, facing challenges and new adventures for a long, long
time.
Betsy's Story written and submitted by Elizabeth Walton

Home
Read another story