Kelly's Story

My name is Kelly I am 15 years old, I like reading, shopping, talking on the phone, chatting, meeting new people, writing, playing the clarinet, listening to music of all types, and spending time with my friends. I have cerebral palsy and this is my story............

At about 7:30 A.M. on Sunday, August 22, 1982, 2 months before she was due to deliver me,  my mom woke up due to pain in her abdomen, and found there to be a large amount of blood on her bed. The placenta had broken open. So, she woke my father up, and they went to the hospital. I was born at 2:00 p.m. that day. I was 4 lbs. 11 oz.
    I was not breathing well, so I was placed on a ventilator to help me. I had tons of wires hooked up to me! My mom was scared to hold me, I looked so fragile.
    The local hospital could not do any more for me, so I was transferred to Mott's Children's Hospital in Ann Arbor, Michigan.  I was closely watched there, to be sure there were no further complications. They could see that my body was not working properly, so I received physical therapy while in the hospital. My mom came to see me there everyday after work, and sometimes brought my big sister, Kim, who was then 13. After 5 weeks, I was allowed to go home.
    As a young infant, I began an early intervention program in the home. It was basically where a physical and occupational therapist comes to your home. I was involved with a home based program until I was 2.... along with a therapeutic swim program. The pool that, that was held in was about 95 degrees, so it helped kids with spastic muscles move independently. When I was 3, in the fall of 1985, I began attending a preschool program for special needs children 4x/week for 3 hrs./day. I met a lot of new friends there.  While I was there, I received OT and PT, as well as participation in a sensory motor group.
    When I was about 5, I visited a general education kindergarten class, to see if I was ready to be included in a class the next fall. Ultimately, they decided that I was, with assistance from the special education staff that served my home school district. The next fall, I started school. I was not too nervous, if I recall correctly. I was used to going to school. The only mistake I made, was that I thought everyone was like me; I thought they all could not do simple things, like jump rope, or skip, etc. Boy, was I mistaken. The kids did not really notice a difference until about grade 3.  Well, in a sense, I guess they did, because I was constantly taken out of the classroom, either for sessions with a teacher consultant, or for therapy. But, they never asked me about it.
    Then, I moved on to first grade. I started seeing the resource room teacher that year. I liked her a lot. We worked on math, reading, spelling, writing, and she also taught me to tie my shoes! :) I was so proud when I had learned to tie them! First grade was pretty cool for me!
    Then I moved on to second grade. I was still seeing the resource room teacher, and still liked her a lot. I had a very understanding teacher in second grade. She would help me even if she didn't feel like it. I will never forget her.
    All the rest of elementary school is kind of a  blur. I got made fun of a lot... and I could never figure out why. At this stage in my life, I never even knew I had a disability. I mean, my parents never really discussed it with me, and therapy and such was all a part of life which i didn't know the other people did not have to go through. Soon, I began asking my mother questions like "Why am I different"? Then, she told me I had Cerebral Palsy. That was not much help to me, because I still had no idea what Cerebral Palsy
was. So, I just left it at that.
    About a year after that, Jr. high started. 6th grade was kind of a rough year for me. Things people were saying were really hurting more now, because I was beginning to reach the age where all that matters is peer acceptance, which i clearly was not getting from my peers. 7th grade was a great year for me, it seemed the teasing had stopped somewhat. I was elated. Then, in 8th grade, I became severely depressed, and begun feeling sorry for myself because of my disability. I guess the reason is because again, I was not getting peer acceptance, and the teasing was very bad.... so I felt like I was nothing more than my disability. Then, the summer before I
began high  school, I got into counseling, which helped some. Though, I AM still very depressed. My self esteem is also very low right now, which I think is due to the combination of my age, and my disability. Slowly, and surely, I am beginning to see improvement. What I am scared about as far as my
disability is That, as I grow older, I will need walking aides, because of bone and muscle deteroioration.
    Someday I want to become an occupational therapist, so that I can work with kids with disabilities similar to my own. Well, that's it for now but my life is far from over!

Kelly's Story written and submitted by Kelly

Home
Read Another Story