22.10.2000 News from Wigan < BODYBACKGROUND="temple.jpg" >
News Report Archive
22nd October 2000

News reports from Wigan Observer, Wigan Reporter and Wigan Evening Post

LOUISE MURDER TRIAL BEGINS

The trial of the man charged with the murder of Wigan teenager Louise Sellars has begun.
Darren Ashurst, 25 of Back Lane Appley Bridge, has pleaded not guilty to the murder of Louise who's body was found behind Billinge Hospital in August 1995. She had been battered and strangled.
Manchester Crown Court has heard that Ashurst was originally questioned days after the murder but was released.
It was only when new evidence came to light, thanks to advances in technology, that Ashurst was charged with killing Louise.
An emotionally charged statement from Louise's mother Elaine has been read out in court , detailing her agony in the hours after her daughter disappeared.
The trial is expected to last several weeks.
For trial reports Click here

FITTING TRIBUTE TO DART ACE RAY

A top Wigan darter has died just days after returning from a family holiday in the sun.
Doctors believe Ray Thomas of Denford Close, Marus Bridge developed bronchial pneumonia after contracting a rare virus while holidaying on a Greek island.
He was just 50 years old, and previously regarded as "fit as a fiddle".
Now his widow Susan is set to be a special guest, presenting a memorial trophy, at an emotional darts knock-out to be held in honour of the popular local arrows player on October 29th.
Set to be staged at his beloved New Inn at Marus Bridge, at least £150 will be up for grabs when arrows fans gather for a scratch time of 1.30pm. Entry fee is £2. His widow did not wish to speak about her husband but his best mate, Kevin Ockwell said that Ray's death had sent shockwaves through the Wigan darts world.
Kevin said, "Ray only came back from holiday on the Wednesday and by the Saturday, he had died. I have known him for 20 years and he was a smashing fella, a real winner who loved the big games. While some of us get the nerves, he would thrive on the challenge of being the last man on when his win was needed for victory.
"He always did well against the pros in exhibitions and I can remember a great game against Eric Bristow during one of his shows at Goose Green Labour club which had the lads on their feet.
"We knew that the most fitting way to remember Ray was with the game he loved and we are hoping for a big turn-out for the Ray Thomas Memorial Trophy as a way of showing that he will not be forgotten."
Father of one Ray, an engineer, who also worked in Marus Bridge, played for a number of teams and leagues including The New Inn, Goose Green Labour Club, St Jude's and the Ben Johnson.
He made a name for himself as a member of the all conquering Wigan Super League darts team, which stormed the Lancashire Super League in the mid 1980s.
Captain Mark Williams, a Wigan jeweller, remembers, "Ray was a superb player who never let the nerves get to him at the oche no matter how important the game. He was putting in such great averages with the super League that I know he was only a wire's breadth from getting a call up for Lancashire County. But, despite the pressure, he never forgot that it was a game, he was always a gentleman."
For further details of the event contact New Inn landlord Ronnie Henry on Wigan (01942) 202406.

NET CROOKS GET HOLD OF WOMAN'S CARD DETAILS

A Wigan pensioner, who admits to knowing nothing about the Internet, returned from holiday to discover her credit card number had been used to make two online purchases from America.
Connie Dalton, aged 68, was alerted when she checked a bank statement and found two debits she knew absolutely nothing about.
Connie, who lives in Bamfurlong, had hidden her Visa card at home before going on a two-week break in Tenerife. After returning from holiday, she was making an enquiry at Lloyds TSB, Market Street, after moving house when she accidentally stumbled on the two £20 payments.
The card number had been used to buy music from an American firm that trades through the net, but the card had never moved from where it was left.
Connie said, "If I hadn't checked my statement I wouldn't have known anything about it. It must be like winning the Lottery for these people. There was only about £800 in my account at the time, but I was in the process of selling my house and there would have been a lot more in after that." Connie has since cancelled the card and has been reimbursed for her loss. She added, "I want to warn people who have credit card that this can happen to them. I don't know anything about the Internet and I've never used it, but I'll make sure this doesn't happen to me again."
A spokesman for Lloyds TSB said, "This is an incredibly rare thing to happen. The problem is that over the Internet there is no point of face to face contact between customer and company. A signature cannot therefore be verified. If the company is a reputable organisation, it should trace the address of the customer back to ensure that no fraud can take place."

LITTLE MISS BABY FACE

Six month old Michaela Smith has something to smile about after being chosen from hundreds of Wigan's bonniest babies to scoop top prize in The Observer's Baby Face competition.
Michaela caught the attention of many Observer readers who voted for her making her heads above the rest in the Millenium Baby Face competition.
Her proud mum Anita is "absolutely delighted" for her daughter and was keeping her fingers crossed that Michaela's smile would catch everyone's attention. "Michaela is such a pleasant baby and smiles all the time," she said "The photograph in the Wigan Observer is just how she is all the time, happy and smiley, and the picture makes me so proud of her. I'm absolutely thrilled that she's won the prestigious competition. It is the first time I have entered her into anything. Maybe this is the start of a promising career."
Anita has won a camcorder, a large framed canvas bonded picture of Michaela and a certificate.
Michaela of Patterdale Place, Ince also has an older brother Bradley, seven, and two sisters Rachel, six and three year old Jessica. Anita added, "Thanks to Michaela's winning smile we will be able to record all the children growing up, it will be a wonderful memento of their childhood."
Runners up were Fiona Marie Molyneux, six months, and Imogen Chanel Prescott aged seven months.

POLICE APPEAL AFTER LATEST SEX ATTACK

Wigan detectives are warning women to be extra vigilant about allowing strangers into their homes following an horrific sex attack on a mother.
Police have described the attack as "sinister" after the man claimed to be a friend of her son before indecently assaulting the 51-year-old in her home in the early hours of Sunday October 1st.
As the manhunt continued, detectives urged other women to be careful of who they allowed into their homes.
The victim was awoken by a knock on her door in Pagefield Street , Springfield around 5am. She was confronted by a man who said he was a friend of her son, and she allowed him into the house. But once inside, he followed her through to the kitchen, where he indecently assaulted her.
During the ordeal, the woman's dog bit the attacker and he fled out of the house.
The pervert is white, aged around 30, 6ft and of medium build. He had mousey/sandy short cropped gelled hair and light eyes. He was wearing a black top with a zip-up neck, beige jeans and black brogue type shoes and spoke with a soft local accent.
Det Insp Steve Crimmins of Wigan CID said, "The woman was very shaken and we are currently conducting a thorough investigation to trace the identity of the offender. The man posed as a friend of her sons and this kind of attack has very sinister undertones.
"We are anxious to catch this attacker and are urging anyone who has information or who knows the person responsible to come forward. The attack happened in the early hours of Sunday...maybe someone saw a person acting suspiciously at the time, there couldn't have been many people in the area at that time.
"We are warning women to be very circumspect about allowing strangers into their home. If you are unsure about any man who turns up on your doorstep, do not let them in. If you are increasingly concerned, do not hesitate to contact the police."

Check here for reports you may have missed

• October 1st 2000
  • September 24th 2000
  • September 10th 2000
  • September 3rd 2000
  • August 27th 2000
  • August 13th 2000
  • August 6th 2000
  • July 23rd 2000
  • July 16th 2000
  • July 2nd 2000
  • June 24th 2000