PLAYER-BY-PLAYER STRIKEOUT LIST 
MORE 
H O M E

Finale was body blow for Ryan

07/25/99

By Gerry Fraley / The Dallas Morning News

Reprinted from Sept. 23, 1993 editions

KRT
An injured elbow forces Ryan to leave his last game in the first inning.
SEATTLE - The record-setting career of Rangers pitcher Nolan Ryan ended Wednesday night, not with a stirring farewell performance but with a devastating elbow injury.

Ryan incurred an apparent tear of the ulnar collateral ligament in the right elbow during the first inning of the Rangers' game against Seattle at the Kingdome. Ryan, who faced six hitters without getting an out and allowed five runs, walked off the mound after throwing a 2-1 pitch to Dave Magadan.

Mariners physician Dr. Larry Pedegana made the diagnosis after examining Ryan in the Rangers' clubhouse. Ryan, who said the ligament "popped like a rubber band," concurred.

"He's pretty sure, and I'm pretty sure," said Ryan, who threw 28 pitches and trailed, 5-0, when he left. "It's got to be it. There's no way I'll ever throw again.

"It's just a hell of a way to end a career."

Ryan is scheduled to return to his home in Alvin on Thursday. He will be examined by Rangers orthopedic consultant Dr. John Conway on Friday in Fort Worth.

A torn ulnar collateral ligament would require tendon-transplant surgery to repair and about one year of rehabilitation. Ryan, 46, will retire at the end of this season.

Former major league pitcher Tommy John first had the surgery, which now bears his name. Rangers outfielder Jose Canseco tore the ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow while pitching in a game at Boston this season. Canseco had surgery July 9 and is expected to be ready to hit but not throw when spring training opens in February.

"I feel really bad for Nolan and the Rangers," manager Kevin Kennedy said. "To see Nolan have to go out that way, it hit me hard. It hit the whole club hard."

Said Seattle manager Lou Piniella: "It's a shame for a great pitcher to have his career end that way. He's got nothing but Cooperstown ahead of him."

In 1986, Dr. Frank Jobe thought Ryan had torn the ligament and recommended surgery. Ryan decided against surgery "because I was too old" and was able to resume his career with Houston the next year.Jobe and Dr. Lewis Yocum theorized scar tissue had formed over the tear and held the ligament together. Ryan had been plagued by occasional elbow pain after that. Dr. Pedegana said Ryan has probably been pitching with a partial tear for several years.

Ryan felt stiffness in the elbow as he prepared for this game. The elbow never loosened, and Ryan felt the ligament give way on a 1-1 pitch to Magadan. Ryan stayed in the game for one more pitch.

This is Ryan's fourth major injury of the season. He missed 22 days after undergoing surgery on the left knee, 72 days because of a strained hip muscle and 21 days because of a strained ribcage muscle.

"This whole year has just been a nightmare," Ryan said. "All I've dealt with all year is frustration. Not only the physical aspect of it, but from the standpoint of not being able to help the club in a pennant race when they really needed me."

Ryan won only five games in 13 starts this season. He pitched only 66 1/3 innings, his fewest for a full season in his 27-year career.Ryan did not get an out for only the third time in 773 career starts. It happened twice, because of injury each time, in his last 33 starts.

After allowing a leadoff single by Omar Vizquel, Ryan walked three consecutive hitters. Dann Howitt, batting .217, followed with a grand slam. It is the last hit against Ryan in his career.

Ryan did not get to finish his final act. Reliever Steve Dreyer inherited the 3-1 count to Magadan and completed a walk charged to Ryan.Seattle pitcher Randy Johnson, a Ryan favorite, visited him in the clubhouse during the second inning. Johnson was gripped by emotion.

"It's terrible to see that," Johnson said. "It shouldn't end that way for him."

In five seasons with the Rangers, Ryan won 51 games. He is tied with Don Sutton for 11th place on the all-time victory list with 324.

Ryan pitched a record seven no-hitters, and holds or shares 52 major league records. He is also the all-time strikeout leader, with 5,714.

Ryan's first strikeout victim was Atlanta pitcher Pat Jarvis on Sept. 11, 1966. Ryan's last strikeout victim was California's Greg Myers. Ryan struck him out in the fifth inning of Friday's game at Anaheim.

Ryan was asked before the game if he would consider returning for one more season.

"I never felt like going into this year that the ability to get hitters out was in question as much as the ability to stay healthy," Ryan said. "All this year has done is confirm what I felt like was the case. It's taken so much for me to compete now, my time and effort and sacrifices I have to make. Prolonging it one more year isn't going to accomplish anything.

"The time's come for me to go on into something else. My body is telling me that every day."

[ Baseball | Sports Day | Dallasnews.com ]
© 1999 The Dallas Morning News
Send us your feedback.