NUMBER: 34

HEIGHT: 6-2

WEIGHT: 212

BIRTHDATE: 1/31/47

BIRTHPLACE: Refugio, TX

RESIDES: Alvin, TX

HIGHSCHOOL: Alvin High School, graduated in 1965

FULL NAME: Lynn Nolan Ryan Jr.

MAJOR AWARDS: 1990 Man of the Year Award from The Sporting News, Male Athlete of the Year honors from United Press International, Pro Sportman of the Year Award from the United States Sports Academy/USA Today, American League's Joe Cronin Award for significant achievement in 1973 and 1989, member of Texas Baseball Hall of Fame (inducted in 1987), member of Peter J. McGovern Little League Museum Hall of Excellence (inducted in 1991), recipient of the 1992 Jim Sundberg Community Achievement Award from the Rangers

WITH THE RANGERS: Served as special assistant to the president of the Texas Rangers and is involved in numerous baseball, marketing and public relations activities on a part-time basis.

BUSINESS INTERESTS: Owns three cattle ranches in China Grove, Gonzalez, and Ray; owns and serves as chairman of the board of The Express Bank with branches in Alvin and Danbury; owns the Bass Inn and the Waterfront Steakhouse & Grill near Choke Canyon Reservoir; owns the Jackson (Miss.) Generals, a Texas League farm team of the Astros, and plans to move the team to Round Rock, Texas for the 2000 season and change its name to the Round Rock Express.

OUTSIDE BASEBALL: Serves as a commissioner with the Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission; serves on the board of directors of the Nolan Ryan Foundation, Justin Cowboy Crisis Fund, Texas Water Foundation and Natural Resources Foundation of Texas; sponsors the Nolan Ryan Scholarship Fund at Alvin Community College; hosts "Nolan Ryan Outdoors," a weekly program on FOX Sports Southwest; wrote two autobiographies, "Throwing Heat" in 1988 and "Miracle Man" in 1992, and "Kings of the Hill" in 1992; co-authored "Pitching and Hitting" in 1977 and "The Pitchers Bible" in 1991.

PERSONAL
Wife - Ruth, married on 06/26/67
Three children - Robert Reid, born 11/21/71, Nolan Reese, born 01/21/76, and Wendy Lynn, born 03/22/77

[ Baseball | Sports Day | Dallasnews.com ]
© 1999 The Dallas Morning News
Send us your feedback.