I was blessed to go on the long Pilgrimage for Restoration this year (2006). I had been on the short Pilgrimage for Restoration in 2000, 2001 and 2004, as well as the P�lerinage de Pentec�te (Pilgrimage of Pentecost) in 2002. I left my home on Tuesday morning, 26th September, and drove to the Shrine of Blessed Kateri Tekakwitha in Fonda, New York, where I caught the shuttle to Lake George Village and stayed at Cramer's Point Motel that night. I didn�t decide to go on the pilgrimage until shortly after Labour Day, so I hadn�t been able to walk and prepare for the pilgrimage like I should, but I drove up there for the seventy-two mile walk.

The annual pilgrimage is a spiritual journey of the faithful to the place where Saints Isaac Jogues, Ren� Goupil and John LaLande were martyred 364 years ago. It is conducted in honour of Christ Our King, for the restoration of new Christendom, and in reparation for sins against the Immaculate Heart of Mary. Invoking the intercession of America's saints and martyrs, we desire that the Catholic Faith restore every dimension of our lives: our hearts, families, workplaces, parishes, neighbourhoods, cities, dioceses and the American nations.

The pilgrimage is an exercise of penance and prayer, of contradiction and restoration, having both a personal and social character. Modelled on the annual P�lerinage de Pentec�te from Paris to Chartres, France, and sponsored by the National Coalition of Clergy and Laity.

A special intention of the pilgrimage is the restoration of the Catholic family and the Latin liturgical tradition. We hope thereby to show our attachment to the Church's Tradition and the riches it contains, drawing benefits from the ancient sources and putting them to work in the world to-day. The theme of Pilgrimage 2006 is 'Restoring True Devotion to Mary, Mother of Divine Love'.

Most of the pilgrims were from the northeast, especially New York, Pennsylvania and New Hampshire, but pilgrims came from Wisconsin, Texas and sixteen flew-in from Oklahoma.

Wednesday morning (my birthday) after all the pilgrims were assembled and registration was taken care of, Father Thomas Longua, F.S.S.P. offered the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass beneath the statue of Saint Isaac Jogues, erected by the State of New York in 1939, next to Lac du Saint-Sacrement (in English Lake of the Blessed Sacrament, which the English renamed Lake George). After Mass we had breakfast and then there was the blessing of the brigades.

Pilgrims of all ages walk in brigades, groups of fifteen to thirty-five, under a patron saint. Brigades are formed by laymen who sing hymns, direct meditations, recite the Holy Rosary and other prayers. Pilgrims live according to the mandate of Our Lord and the fellowship of the Holy Ghost; friendship and prayer sustaining each pilgrim on his spiritual way. Priests and religious accompany the pilgrims along the way, hear confessions, give private spiritual counsel and teach. Pilgrims walk seventy-two miles from the Lac du Saint-Sacrement to Auriesville, New York. Some carry holy images, banners and flags. There were about 230 pilgrims in seven brigades: Holy Family, Immaculate Heart of Mary, Saint Gregory, Saint Isaac Jogues, Saint Joan of Arc, Saint Joseph and San Fernando.

I was in Saint Joseph�s Brigade. Many in my brigade were from the Richmond, New Hampshire area. Each brigade had a cheer and ours was: �Ite, Ite, Ite, ad; Joseph, Joseph, Joseph, ad; Ite, ad; Joseph, ad; Ite ad Joseph. Saint Joseph, pray for us.('Ite ad Joseph' is Latin for 'Go to Joseph' Gen., XLI. 55) Our brigadier Brother Maximilian and Brother Louis-Marie are monks in the Slaves of the Immaculate Heart of Mary. We prayed all fifteen decades of the Holy Rosary throughout the day, as well as sang hymns. There was a break in the morning and another in the afternoon and well as an hour for lunch each day. At times we had a priest with our brigade and you could go to the back for Confession or to talk to Father. Brother Louis-Marie, M.I.C.M. would regularly encourage pilgrims to take advantage of having a priest with our brigade. The first day we mostly walked beside roads and through small towns, but also through some wooded areas. One time as we were walking along, there were two little boys standing by the road watching the pilgrimage. Brother Louis-Marie gave each one a Miraculous Metal and they seemed quote pleased with their little gift. The weather was sunny and pleasant. The Company of Saint Ren� Goupil transported baggage provided first-aid and water, and transported weary pilgrims.

That night we camped at Fort Bink Campground in Corinth and I shared a tent with Isaac, John and Will from Syracuse, who had an eight-man tent. The men�s tents were at the end of the campground and down a steep hill in a wooded area. I was rather tired after walking eighteen miles. That evening we had hot soup and bread for supper and afterward there were many games, Bluegrass and Irish music, as well as square dancing. I got my clothes and stuff so I could take a shower, but didn�t bring my flashlight, as I planned to return to the tent shortly. After taking a shower I hung around a while listening to the music and it was dark when I headed back to the tent. I couldn�t see much of anything the way I had gone up and down the hill earlier, so I walked back a little ways to another path down where there was a fire or two and I could see to get down the hill. As I walked over towards our tent I could hear the creek flowing, but couldn�t see anything. I walked past out tent and realised there were no more tents. I finally found our�s without falling into the creek. My sleeping bag was nice and warm.

The second day commenced with wake-up call at 4:45, a.m., �Ave Maria! Holy Mass is in forty-five minutes. This is the day the Lord has made!� The Holy Sacrifice of the Mass offered by Father Longua, followed by breakfast and step-off. It was another sunny, pleasant day. We walked through many trails and over mountains and hills. There was some of the nicest scenery on the pilgrimage that day. As everyday of the pilgrimage, we prayed all fifteen decades of the Holy Rosary throughout the day and sang hymns. I was able to go to Confession with Father Longua that morning while we were walking. By the middle of the day my legs were so tired and my feet were so sore, I didn�t know how I would walk the rest of the way. Lunch was next to a lake. When we finally made it to our lunch break all I wanted to do was lay in the grass and rest. That evening we camped at Pop�s Lake Campground in Galway and there was a talent show. There was much music and singing as well as several comedy skits and juggling.

T. J. and someone else from the San Fernando brigade slept in our tent that night and there was a heavy rain during the night. Our tent was in a low spot, partly sitting in water that morning. Some of our things got wet in the tent, but we had dry cloths. There was a High Mass offered by Father Gregory Pendergraft, F.S.S.P. for the Feast of Saint Michael. As usual there was breakfast followed by step-off. It was a light rain when we began walking, but by break it was coming down good. Just before lunch the rain ceased, but that afternoon there were many open fields and a very strong, cold wind much of the rest of the day. Of course there was the Holy Rosary and hymns throughout the day. After sixty-five miles and three days, we finally arrived at the Shrine of Blessed Kateri Tekakwitha in Fonda that evening and had prayers of thanksgiving at �Caughnawaga Castle� the fortified Indian village where Blessed Kateri lived at one time and was baptised. Afterward we had Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament in the Saint Maximilian Kolbe Pavilion, followed by vegetable soup, clam chowder, salad and peaches. I don�t think I have ever been so tired and aching and sore in my life, but I felt really good that I had actually walked the sixty-five miles.

That night I stayed at a hotel in Fultonville. I hung up all the damp clothes I could so they would dry out. Saturday morning I got breakfast at McDonald�s and later drove to the Shrine in Auriesville to leave my car and catch the shuttle back to the Shrine in Fonda. Common prayers commenced at 9:00, a.m. in the Pavilion of Saint Maximilian Kolbe. We were joined by the pilgrims making the short pilgrimage, for the last seven miles. We had prayers followed by step-off. The route was changed this year and most of the walk was on a bicycle path. As usual there were all fifteen decades of the Holy Rosary and hymns, as well as a break along the way. That afternoon we had a Solemn High Mass in the Coliseum Church at the Shrine of Our Lady of the Martyrs in Auriesville. The New York Catholic Chorale provided music for the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass featuring the Mass �Sicut Lilium Inter Spinas� by Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina.

Auriesville is the former Mohawk village of Ossernenon, where Saints Isaac Jogues, John LaLande and Ren� Goupil were martyred, as well as the birthplace of Blessed Kateri Tekakwitha. Saint Ren� Goupil was martyred there on the 29th September 1642 and is buried somewhere in the Ravine. Saint Isaac Jogues was martyred on the 18th October 1646 and Saint John LaLande, the following day, 19th October 1646. After Holy Mass I stopped by the cafeteria and gift shop and got something to eat. Afterwards I walked down to the Ravine.

That evening I drove down to Scranton and spent the night. I went to Holy Mass at Saint Michael the Archangel�s Church, on Sunday morning, which was a dialog Mass (the first one I�ve been to). Afterward I drove back to Virginia, stopping at a pull-off to take a few pictures between Waynesboro and Charlottesville.

New York
Fonda - XIVth Station
Bl. Kateri Tekakwitha
Holy Mass
Lac du Saint-Sacrement

St. Isaac Monument
Lunch
New York
Pilgrimage
Holy Mass

Break
Break