Ted Mechanic's Deep Purple Pages

Bonn, Germany, August 19, 2001

The 2001 tourbook
  Alrighty, since my last review was about my birthday party, here we go with another birthday report:

This time it's Ian's. We're talking Ian Gillan's birthday party, the gig in Bonn. And what a party that was !!

The venue was *way* too small, therefore sold out in no time. Still, hundreds of fans showed up, trying to get tickets, but failed. So they decided to stay outside and party there. Lots of people brought chairs and blankets and picnic baskets and sat outside the venue listening and enjoying the concert in the only way they could. Good for them!

The place was a bad pick for a Rock concert of a band as big as Deep Purple. It was the space between two museums, trees all over the place, even in the middle where the audience stood were some walls.

The little space they had was, in addition, also used for the stands. So, about 50 percent of the audience there couldn't even see the stage, nevermind the guys up there because of stands and trees in their view. The nice (but partial) roof construction couldn't make up for that, we didn't need it because *surprise, surprise* it did NOT rain....

But all that did not prevent us from partying!!! It was a great crowd, one of the best I've ever been in. The serious fans, of course, knew it was Ian's birthday and they had posters prepared to hold up. The audience was wild from the very first second on when they hit the stage. BTW: AprilDAZE was warming up again, but, although the rumor mill had it that he'd be there again, Chapman was not on the bill.

Well, we were trying hard to sing "happy birthday" to Ian, but he barely gave us a chance 'cause he rushed from song to song, with no breaks in between. At one point we started it anyway, but I doubt he heard it. But the crowd really celebrated his day, mega-applause after each song, and I had the impression the guys had a blast of a good time up there as well. They could barely stop themselves from smiling all the time. And that despite the trouble they'd been through before the gig. On the way to Bonn there was a fatal accident on the Autobahn. Everybody was stuck in the jam for four entire hours, nothing moved, including some band members. I heard that some fans in the mess recognized them and went over to their cars for autographs..... Well, they just made it on time for the gig, I'm not sure about the others, but I know for definite that at least Paicey was there at the *last* minute, out of the car, on stage and played. Wow !!

The performance was perfect, and I think I'm right with my impression and can say that the fire from the audience really jumped over to the band and the other way round. This show had an immense fun-factor on each side. 

I can't offer too many pics from that gig, my position wasn't that great and there was always some head or hand in front of my lens. Anway, here are some decent ones:

Bonn, Aug. 19, 2001
Bonn, Aug. 19, 2001

Bonn, Aug. 19, 2001
Bonn, Aug. 19, 2001

Bonn, Aug. 19, 2001
  My bottom line about this gig:

It was one big party, the audience was celebrating the b-day, although half of them couldn't see squat. I hope Ian enjoyed it as well. Jon was officially announced back for this gig, but even the fact that he was *not* there wasn't responded to in any awful way by the crowd. Very nice of them.

Whoever picked that venue didn't know what he was doing there! They could have easily sold 2000 more tickets if they'd had some decent space. For the "overpacked factor", of course the logistics didn't work out either. And it was a hassle to move around in this crowd. Bad pick, but everybody was making the best of it. Even the fans who couldn't get in stayed there and partied outside. As a matter of fact, they were the lucky ones; sure, they could only hear the show, but at least the didn't have to pay for not seeing, unlike others....

After all, a wonderful day, with a great show, lots of fun and one of the best audiences, IMHO.

After the show the guys proved one more time what *great* guys they are and what their fans mean to them. Although they were in a big rush (there was a boat waiting for Ian's b-day party. A fan who is a "bit" wealthier than most of us, rented it and they were cruising on the river Rhein and celebrating) they nevertheless came out and talked to the fans. And there was a whole bunch outside on the street behind a bush border as well, not just the backstage party. Anyway, Rog, Steve and even the man of the day made time to satisfy even the last autograph-/ photo wish of the fans outside (you should have seen the security sweating out blood and tears about that :-)) although poor Willie had to rush them big time. What great people they are! Lots of those upcoming wannabes with their little attitudes can learn from them what it is that makes a real star.... 

Feel free to  e-mail  your comments

To the review from Dresden
 To the review from Mosbach
 To the review from Nürnberg
 The 2001 tour book

Back to Ted's  Pages

© 2001 by Axel Dauer