Writings

Backyard Laundry 

by
Mike Skellenger
copyright © 1996

Our son, Jeremy, often seemed to feel that he was having to do more than his share of the work around the house and as the oldest child he did do more than his younger sister or brother.

One of his chores was to do his own and his brother's laundry as they shared a room which was always a mess and little brother was considered too young at that time to use the washer and dryer.

Over a period of a couple of weeks we noticed that there seemed to be fewer and fewer clothes available for our younger son, Jason. We figured that this were still somewhere in the house, probably under a bed or stashed in a closet somewhere.

No one volunteered any information about where these, shirts, pants, socks and underwear might be hiding and poor Jason would soon be relegated to wearing only a loincloth.

One day, while in the backyard,  beneath the window to the boy's room we noticed that a piece of cloth was sticking out of the dirt. Pulling on this revealed it to be some of the missing clothing. Continued digging brought forth a substantial pile.

The prime suspect was the person who normally was responsible for having to do Jason's laundry.

To his credit, when confronted, Jeremy did not deny putting the clothing in this hole in the ground but he was not particularly pleased at having to retrieve and wash it either.

Jeremy was razzed about this for a long time and he still gets indignant and turns bright red whenever it is mentioned.  He claims that it wasn't "fair".

Both boys have grown up considerably since then and Jeremy has moved out of the house now. Jason is still here and he has picked up his brother's habit of "borrowing" my clothes. I've heard that many people believe that their dryer eats one or more of their socks but I think that it might just be my weird sons sneaking into your houses and "borrowing" those socks. If other clothing is missing you may want to check your back yard for freshly turned dirt.

return to Skellenger Home Page