I CRIED FOR A LITTLE BOY
WHO ONCE LIVED THERE
State Juvenile Records Section Seven
[Note by the author:  Due to the disc space required (some 29 Meg) the actual scanned copies of the records could not be used in these pages, but the data herein has been kept as accurate as possible.]

RAINBOW

[NOTE by the author; For events relating to this document refer to Chapter One]

State of Iowa

BOARD OF CONTROL OF STATE INSTITUTIONS

Supervision Record Sheet

Visitor  Georgia E. Todd

Date of Visit   Returned - 6&7 Jan, 1944

Child Own Name        Larry Peterson        Number 8465  Sex  Male  Age  9
Foster Family   Ross Potter  Address  Sioux City, Ia          County Woodbury
Date Placed    2/10/'43 

INFORMATION AND RECOMMENDATIONS

HOME ADJUSTMENT PERSONAL APPEARANCE

PERSONALITY TRAITS

HABITS  
BEHAVIOR

DISCIPLINE

SCHOOL  (Give Grade)

HOME DUTIES CHURCH

[NOTE by author:  Well at least everyone seems to agree on my table manners.  I would like to point
out, this was one of the reasons they had sent me to the orphanage, for "routinized training" because I was
"untrained" in "eating habits." Notice she uses the phrase, "correcting badly," seems I have read that
somewhere else.  Those comments had been made been back in January of 1942,  two years before this
report.   I am smiling as I write this.  Refer to  State Juvenile Records - Section one.   "Routinized training?" ]

RECREATIONAL INTEREST

HEALTH REMARKS

[NOTE by the author;  The event of falling out of the car is covered in  Chapter One ]

RECOMMENDATIONS

[ Note by author;  This was retyped from the original document as closely as possible.  The part of this report under "Home adjustment" I have a lot of trouble understanding for I did not know my foster father had remarried.  It is possible I could have said he was going to marry this girl.  This is the only explanation I can think of why this would have been written this way in this report. ]

SOLDIERS' ORPHANS' HOME
Davenport, Iowa
------------------
SUBSEQUEST HISTORY
RETURNED
No. 8465   Name    Peterson, Larry Eugene             Residence       Nevada  Co.       Story
Returned to Institution from placement
Returned  Jan. 6, 1944                   Cause         Foster mother passed away                         

Final or otherwise         - - - -                                                   Physical condition         Good

Age  Born:  May 13, 1934     Remarks

From placement: Mr. and Mrs. (passed away) Ross H. Potter

Address     Sioux City, Iowa

[NOTE by the author;  This document states my return to the orphanage was on January 6, 1944 .  This is not correct for I left Sioux City in the morniing of the 6th and arrived at the orphaage near supper time on the 7th, which was a Friday.  I feel due the lateness of our arrival at the orphanage this report was made out on the following Monday.  incorrectly copied from a previous report.]

SOLDIERS' ORPHANS' HOME
Davenport, Iowa
------------------
SUBSEQUEST HISTORY
Ran away
No. 8465   Name    Peterson, Larry Eugene             Residence       Nevada  Co.       Story

Ran away 6-26-45                  Cause      Ran away from Institution 

Final or otherwise         - - - -                                                   Physical condition         Good

Address

[Note by author:   Between this documant and the previous document, there are no records... (14 months) explaination?  My records had been, somewhat purged.  The above form was made out on the day I ran away, June 26, 1945.  This was the usual practice whenever someone ran away.  On the return of a runaway another form like this one is made out.  Note that to Physical Condition is stated "good" at the time I ran away.  I was still carrying the bruises from the  terrific beating which Ms. Gruber had given me. ]

**************************************************************************************

SUPERVISION SHEET
June 30, 1945

Harvey E. Daines, Supt.,
Iowa Soldiers' Orphans' Home
Davenport, Iowa

Re: Larry Peterson #8465
Dear Mr. Daines:

What has been done towards locating Larry Peterson who ran away
from the institution June 26, 1945.  In sending subsequent histories
on runaways will you please make note on the subsequent history
sheet as to what has been done towards locating the child.  If there
is anything we can do to assist, please let us know.  Larry is but 11 years of age, and we are wondering what has happened to cause him to
run away.

Very sincerely yours,
Ethel Nichols   Supt.
Children's Division.

[ Note by the author:  Remember Mrs. Nichols, on December 15, 1943 she had Mrs. Todd tell my foster father, they couldn't hold me too long from another placement.    Also note, she is wondering why I am running away.  I wonder if she questioned why I was still in the orphanage.]

SUPERVISION SHEET

Des Moines, Iowa
July 2, 1943

Mrs. Ethel Nichols, Supt.,
Children's Division,
Board of Control   Re: Larry Eugene Peterson
of State Institutions,
Des Moines, Iowa.

Dear Mrs. Nichols:

Visitor called at the Ames post office trying to find
Larry's mother, Mrs. Sylvia Leifheit, as per request from
Des Moines office.  Postmaster gave 221 Main St., Ames s her
last mailing address.  Called at the=is address and found it
to be a cigar store.  The manager said he did not know her
as he was a new man there.

Postmaster informed visitor that Keith Ferguson,
General Delivery, Ames, was her brother and he worked for
Ushing Grocery Store.

Called there and they told visitor he was a trucker for
business houses in Des Moines and delivered to Ames stores.
They told visitor Sylvia was now Mrs. McCullough and they
thought she had gone out west.

Visitor suggests office write Keith Furguson, Ames, Ia,
for whereabouts of his sister, Mrs. Syliva McCullough.

Visitor checked with Earle Hotel and Majestic in Des
Moines and found she had not been there for several weeks.
They both stated they did not know her whereabouts.

Respectfully,
       Clara Bloomburg
       State Agent
       1150 W. 67th St.,
       Des Moines, Ia.

[ Note by author:  Well about the only thing this letter shows is the State Agent tried pretty hard to locate my mother, other than that, she only created a lot of confusion.   Now if you remember, back in Section One, it will be noted my mother's maiden name was Halterman, who this Furguson was I have no idea, surely not my mother's brother. My mother tells me she didn't remarry after my dad had died until 1948, so who was the McCullough was is another mystery to me.   Apparently at one time before this, my mother had stayed at the hotels mentioned.  Was she out west at this time?  I do know she went to California in late 1942.  She was in Des Moines in April only a couple of months before this letter.  So where was she?  I think at the time she was living in Nevãda, Iowa with her parents. ]

State of Iowa
Board of Control of State Institutions
Des Moines

July 3, 1945
Keith Ferguson
General Delivery
Ames, Iowa
                                                                                                 Re: Larry Eugene Peterson #8465
Dear Sir:

We are writing you to let you know that your sister's little son, Larry Eugene Peterson, left the institution at Davenport June 26, 1945.  We immediately got in touch with the institution and learned that you sister, formerly Sylvia Leifheit did live at Ames, and later lived at the Earl Hotel, Des Moines.  We asked our Visitor for this district, Mrs. Bloomburg, to check in Ames to see whether or not Mrs. Leifheit had returned to Ames.
She is also checking the Earl Hotel.

While at Ames to check while she was there yesterday Mrs. Bloomburg learned that you sister is again married and is now Mrs. McCullough and also learned of your address and was given the information that you drove a truck and that  one of the grocery stores to which you delivered goods was the Ushing grocery of Ames, and that you received your mail at General Delivery.  We thought sure that if you knew of your sister's whereabouts that you would be happy to give us your address when you learned that your little 11 year old nephew had ran away.

We are greatly concerned over this little fellow, and will greatly appreciate any information you are able to give us.
       Very sincerely yours,
     BOARD OF CONTROL OF STATE
INSTITUTIONS
      By      Ethel  Nichols
       Ethel Nichols, Supt.
       Children's Division.

EN:pg
Cc: Daines
       Bloomburg

[Note by the author:  I have my doubts as to whether this letter was ever sent, it is the only letter in my file which Mrs. Nichols signed, I don't think she would have signed a carbon copy and placed it in the files.  But I reprinted it for the value it showed.  She seems to show some concern as to my safety or where-a-bouts.  I think she was more interested in finding me and returning me to the orphanage than anything.  She apparently hasn't noticed I am still confined in an institution eighteen months after being sent back there by her, for only a short time.]

IOWA SOLDIERS' ORPHANS' HOME
HARVEY E. DAINES
SUPERINTENDENT
DAVENPORT, IOWA

July 7, 1945

Mrs. Ethel Nichols, Supt.
Children's Division-Board of Control.
Des Moines, Iowa.

Dear Mrs. Nichols:                                                                          Re: Larry Peterson #8465

Replying to your letter of June 30th, please be advised that we have nothing further relative to Larry since, he in the company with  [BLANK], ran away from the institution June 26th.

[BLANK] returned to the institution the next night and stated that he and Larry slept "on a man's porch that night and when he woke up Larry was gone."

We have discussed the matter with the Rock Island police and up-to-date have received no further report.  Have also reported the matter to the Davenport and Moline Police Department.

This is the sixth or seventh time Larry has ran away from the institution, and he is always the ring leader in taking other boys with him.  He is a chronic runaway and an expert shop-lifer, appears to have a mania for stealing knives and playing with matches, and believe he is inclined to develop into a fire bug.

We shall keep in touch with the Tri-Cities authorities and advise you if and when the boy is located.

Yours very truly,
     Iowa Solders' Orphans' Home,
(signed)  Harvey E Daines
     Harvey E. Daines, Superintendent.
HED/d

[ Note by the author:  In my file I have found some amazing letters and this is one of them.  I have some very mixed emotions about this letter.  The author of this letter, Mr. Daines is writing to his immediate superior, Mrs. Nichols.  Mr. Daines knew exactly what was happening to me in the orphan- age and he condoned it.  As I mentioned sometime back Mr. Daines would live to regret day of them sending me back to the orphanage and this was right in the middle of that long day.  In his letter he states I was a "ring leader" in taking other boys with me, and on this occasion had taken a boy with me, who returned the following night.  At no time was there ever a boy with me when I ran away.  He also states I was a "shop-lifter," at no time did I ever enter a store when I ran away.  He states I played with matches, which is also an out right lie about me.  In trying to understand his motive in writing such a letter, I first had to see who he is writing it to, his boss.  I feel he was trying to take the heat off of himself and putting the attention on me by his outlandish remarks.  He states I had ran away six or seven times, that would only have been for that summer. I notice he emphasizes the Rock Island police over the others, that is because that was where I always went whenever I ran away.]

July 9, 1945
Mrs. Ben Todd
Ida Grove, Iowa
      RE; Larry Eugene Peterson  #8465
Dear Mrs. Todd:
 Larry Eugene ran away from the institution June 26, of this year.  We have made every effort to locate this little 11 year old boy, but to date have been unsuccessful.  We wonder if by chance he might have returned to the Ross Potter home of Sioux City.  Will you please check and see if he is there?  Do you feel Mr. Potter would tell you the truth if you wrote him?  We plan to write from this office, but knew he dreaded to give him up so
badly that perhaps he might not tell us the truth about it. If you feel there is any question as to his telling the truth it
might be well for you to get in touch with he Sheriff or Helen Bottom, the Probation Officer of the Juvenile Court in Sioux City and have her check.  Pick the child up and hold him for us.
      Very sincerely yours,
     By CARBON COPY--NOT
SIGNED      Ethel Nichols, Supt.
      Children's Division.
**************************************************************************************
[ Note by the author:  Remember Mrs. Todd?  She was the nice lady who told my foster father he could have me back when he got things straighten out but that they couldn't hold me from placement too long. Mrs. Nichols is writing from Des Moines to Mrs. Todd in Ida Grove, about twenty miles east of Sioux City, and unknown to Mrs. Nichols I was returned to the orphanage in Davenport on that same day.  We will hear more on this letter later. ]

SOLDIERS' ORPHANS' HOME
Davenport, Iowa
------------------
SUBSEQUEST HISTORY
RETURNED - RUNAWAY
Returned to Institution friom Rock Island - Picked up by police
Returned  July 9, 1945                   Cause

Final or otherwise         - - - -                                  Physical condition    Sexually Abused

[ Note by the author:  Above is the form that was filled out when I was returned from running away after I had been gone for two weeks.  Two days after I had been sexually assaulted by a man in Rock Island.]

Ida Grove, Iowa
    July 12, 1945

Miss. Helen Bottom
Probation Officer-Juvenile Court
Sioux City, Iowa

Dear Miss. Bottom:

Recently one of our State Wards, Larry Eugene Peterson, ran away from the Davenport Institution.  Some time ago, this boy lived for a time with the Ross Potter family north of Sioux City. At that time the first Mrs. Potter died, and Larry was then returned to Davenport.

We would appreciate it if you would check with this home and see
if Larry may have perchance come back there.  We are anxious to
locate the boy.  If you find him there, would you please pick him
up and hold him for us?

I believe Mr. Potter's address is in the telephone book.  It is
west and north from Leeds, possibly two or three miles.

We will appreciate any information you can give us.  The boy is
eleven years old.

Very sincerely yours,

CARBON COPY NOT SIGNED   State Agent
   Mrs. Ben Todd-Ida Grove, Ia.

July 12, 1945

Mrs. Ben Todd
Ida Grove, Iowa
      Re: Larry Peterson #8465
Dear Mrs. Todd:

We have just received a letter from Mr. Daines stating that Larry was picked up by the police at Rock Island and returned to the institution July 9. We are so happy he is safely returned, he is so young to be on the loose.
     Very sincerely yours,
    By CARBON COPY-NOT SIGNED
     Ethel Nichols, Supt.
     Children's Division

[ Note by the author:  I wish I could believe she really cared that much.  Didn't they use telephones in those days?]

Ida Grove, Iowa
    July 14, 1945
 Miss. Helen Bottom
Probation Officer-Juvenile Court
Sioux City, Iowa

My dear Miss. Bottom;

We wrote you on the 12th with reference to an 11 year old boy, a State Ward, who ran away, and asked that you check to see if he might be at the Ross Potter Home

We are glad to report that Larry Peterson has been picked up and
returned to the institution.

Thank you for any trouble you may have taken to check on this
case.

Very sincerely yours.

CARBON COPY NOT SIGNED State Agent
   Mrs. Ben Todd-Ida Grove, Ia.

The Juvenile Court
of Woodbury County

THE COURTHOUSE
Sioux City, Iowa

July 16, 1945

Mrs. Georgia A. Todd, State Agent
Ida Grove, Iowa     Re: Larry Eugene Peterson

Dear Mrs., Todd:

We visited Mr.and Mrs.Potter, as you requested, on Friday. [13th] They advised us that Larry had telephone them collect at 9:30 A.M. Tuesday, July 3rd.  He now calls himself Dale Smith.  He reported that he was in Rock Island (he telephoned from a pay
station in Rock Island), and was staying near the Ford or Fort Theater, they could not understand which name was correct.  He told them he wished he was back in Sioux City and Mr. Potter thought he might possibly try and come here.  If he does the Potters are willing to keep the him until you can come for him, as we have no place where he can be kept in detention.  Mr. Potter has agreed to call us if Larry should come to Sioux City and we will notify you at once.

If we can be of further assistance, let us know.

Sincerely yours,
     Helen Bottom
    (Miss.) Helen Bottom
    Assistant Probation Officer

HB:mig

[ Note by Larry Eugene:  I think all of the things I have seen in my records, this letter made me the happiest.  For I didn't know until I received my records they had gone to see my foster father.  Not only did it substantiate a memory of the collect telephone call I had made but it was to explain something that was to happen  two years later, something I could never understand until I received my records 45 years later.]

IOWA SOLDIERS' ORPHANS' HOME
HARVEY E. DAINES
SUPERINTENDENT
DAVENPORT, IOWA

July 18, 1945

Mrs. Ethel Nichols, Superintendent
Children's Division-Board of Control,
Des Moines, Iowa.

Dear Mrs. Nichols:                                                            Re:  Larry Peterson  #8465

You will recall our discussion of this case during our recent Placement Conference.

Our records indicate this boy has ran away six or seven times since his return to the institution Jan. 6, 1944; the last time being June 26, 1945.  On this last trip, as usual, he went to Rock Island, Ill., and lived in a fox hole during his entire time until picked up by the Police and returned.

Naturally, let us in for some rather sensational publicities in the  Rock Island papers, as well as the   Davenport Democrat, although it was not particularly unfavorable.

You will recall his mother formerly lived in Rock Island and this seems to be his excuse for running away, although he has never made any effort to locate her during these trips.  We believe a change in environment would probably be benefical [beneficial] to the boy, and since we do not have a suitable home to recommend his placement, we are recommending that he be transferred to the State Juvenile Home at Toledo.

Our present information indicates that the boy's mother is living in Des Moines, although she probably does not stay any place for any length of time.

If this transfer is approved we recommend that neither the boy or his mother be furnished with any information regarding the transfer.

Yours very truly,
      Iowa Solders' Orphans' Home,
 (Signed)       Harvey E Daines
  Harvey E. Daines, Superintendent.

[ Note by Larry Eugene:  I believe this letter is despicable but there are worse ones to come.   He had been limiting my contact with my mother, now he wants to see that she will not know where I am.  Why?  He did not like my mother and I had burned him good with the Rock Island police when I complained of child abuse.  To send me to another institution 150 miles away, I sure wouldn't complain to the same people. ]

July 18, 1945

Harvey E. Daines, Supt.
Iowa Soldiers' Orphans' Home
Davenport, Iowa

Re: Larry Eugene Peterson #8465

Dear Mr. Daines:

After Larry Eugene Peterson ran away we made every effort to locate him by Mrs. Bloomburg trying to find his mother, and we also wrote an uncle at Ames.  However, that was returned.  We asked Mrs. Todd to contact the Probation Officer to see whether or not Larry had by any chance returned to Mr. Potter in Sioux City, with whom he was formerly placed.  You will be interested in reading the attached letter.

Very sincerely Yours,

By CARBON COPY-NOT SIGNED
      Ethel Nichols, Supt.
      Children's Division.
[ Note by Larry Eugene:  The attached letter was the letter from Miss Bottom of Woodbury County.    It is amazing after reading that letter they didn't consider sending me back to my foster father, but Mrs. Todd had recommended in her report of January 6 and 7 of 1944 I not be returned to him, based on some of the things I was purported to have said to her about my foster father.  All I can say, "It is amazing," they seemed to have been more interested in having me sent to another institution than to try and solve my problem.  I also notice the different tone in Mrs. Ethel Nichols letters now that I am once again in their hands,  I am no longer that "little 11 year old boy."  "he is so young to be on the loose."  Well, this letter was written on the 18th of July and about that time I was making other plans about being in "their hands."  This letter also explaines why there was a signature on the letter to my so-called uncle, it was the original letter and it had been returned. ]

RAINBOW

State Juvenile Redords Index

State Juvenile Records Section Eight