Betty's Journey of Discovery
by Kris Stanger

Disclaimer: RW and it's characters belong to Rupert Holmes, et al. The rest is just a figment of my imagination and is not meant in any way, shape or form to infringe.

Author's Note: I wrote this story back before the war broke out. I didn't even think about what year it might be. It takes place in some alternate universe I guess. Please forgive any glaring errors. I have no particular knowledge of the era, have done absolutely no research and am not versed in the details of the program as so many of you are. It boils down to laziness on my part. Ha! Fair warning to all the Victor/Betty rooters, you probably won't enjoy this story, but please be nice to me anyway.

Chapter One - Opportunity Blows In

The station was in a state of excitement. Out of the blue, BSO Studios in Hollywood had called. Their biggest star, Veronica Rivers, would be in Pittsburgh promoting her latest movie and they wanted her to make a few promotional appearances on some local radio shows. Much to everyone's delight, WENN had been chosen to be her host for 3 days.

The men were especially excited. Veronica Rivers was a blue-eyed, platinum blonde bombshell with a rubenesque figure. Betty was also thrilled. She knew that this was a real opportunity for WENN and, in addition to rewriting a few of their existing shows with parts for Veronica, she had been feverishly working on a special three-episode love story for Veronica to perform with Jeff.

There was one person at the station however, who was not the least bit excited. Hilary was not at all pleased with the probability of being upstaged by some upstart starlet. She also knew the woman's reputation with men. Veronica Rivers was notorious for falling in love with her leading men and, invariably her leading men fell in love with her. Hilary was not about to let her anywhere near Jeff.

In the Writer's Room, Betty heaved a sigh of relief and satisfaction as she checked her watch. Veronica Rivers was due in thirty minutes and she had just put the finishing touches on the special script.

She paused and looked at the finished project, Ships That Pass In The Night - a love story about two unlikely people who unexpectedly find true love. She reflected how writing this love story for Jeff and Veronica had been such a strange experience. Normally it helped her to imagine the actor's voice saying the words when she wrote, but every time she tried to imagine Jeff's voice saying the tender words of the lover, all she could hear was Scott's voice. It was the voice of Simmons the gardener. The voice Scott had used when he kissed her. The voice that sent shivers all the way down to Betty's toes. And the actress' voice was not the familiar voice of Veronica Rivers. It was…someone she couldn't or didn't want to identify.

She turned to the last page where the lovers kiss. As so often happened lately, the disturbing memory of Scott's kiss came rushing over her again. Betty closed her eyes and, just for a moment, let the overwhelming emotions envelop her.

Her clock chiming the half-hour brought her abruptly out of her reverie. "Oh, would you look at the time!" Though it was getting harder to do, Betty shook off her disturbing and confusing feelings for Scott and buried them somewhere deep inside her as she always did. She hurried out to find Jeff.

Betty found both Jeff and Hilary in the Green Room where everyone had gathered, anxiously awaiting the arrival of the star. She gave Jeff the script. They discussed it briefly while Hilary stood apart and silently fumed. The minute Betty left the room Hilary grabbed the script and thumbed through it, getting madder with each page.

She turned to Jeff and said, with seething restraint, "If you choose to perform this show with that…that…woman, you can kiss...any chance of us ever getting back together goodbye. Goodbye." Hilary turned on her heel with her head held high and calmly walked out the door, passing Scott on his way in.

Jeff, in a panic, grabbed Scott by the lapels, "Scott, you've got to help me! Hilary and I have finally come to a tenuous truce. If you don't bail me out, I'll never get out of the hot water Hilary has me in."

Scott laughed, "Who am I to stand in the way of true love? Name it."

With a sigh of relief, Jeff handed him the script. "All you have to do is perform this show with Veronica Rivers." Without even glancing at the script Scott responded, "Piece of cake. Have you seen Betty?"

Just then a loud commotion erupted in the hall. Veronica Rivers had arrived.

Chapter Two - Introductions

Veronica's handlers ushered her past the excited staff into Betty office. Betty tried to hide it, but the breathtaking beauty of this woman stunned her. She suddenly felt very dowdy, skinny and immature and wished she had bought a new dress and had her hair done. She swallowed hard and tried to let her professionalism take over. She politely welcomed the star to their humble station. "WENN is privileged to have you here with us Miss Rivers. We will do our best to make your stay a pleasant one." Betty motioned to the door. "Now, as you can imagine, the staff of WENN is anxiously waiting to meet you. They are all in the Green Room." With barely an acknowledgement to Betty, Veronica swept back out into the hall with the young writer following practically at a run.

Betty led her to the Green Room. In vintage Veronica Rivers' fashion, she made an "entrance" into the room. Eugenia, Gertie, Mr. Foley, Mackie, CJ, and Maple all surged forward excitedly talking at once.

"This is such a privilege Miss Rivers."

"We hope you enjoy your stay at WENN."

"Oh, Miss Rivers can I have your autograph?"

Betty automatically looked for Scott. She didn't know why she felt such a sense of relief when she noticed he was not among the adoring throng. He was hanging back with his arms folded watching the scene with amusement. He caught her eye and winked. With a more confident spring in her step, Betty did her best to introduce everyone despite the chaos.

When they got to Scott, one of Veronica's arched eyebrows rose in interest. She liked what she saw and without taking her eyes off him said, "Oh, I'm definitely going to enjoy myself at…WEEN."

Scott corrected her, "WENN."

A slow smile crossed Veronica's face. "Any time you say, handsome." Betty, along with everyone else in the room, watched this exchange with a bit of embarrassment. Eugenia giggled. "Oh, my."

Veronica moved next to Scott and put her hand on his arm. "I certainly hope we'll be doing…something together." Betty began to tell her no, but Scott interrupted. "Why, yes." He looked at the script in his hand for the first time. "It's a three episode program called...let's see...Ships That Pass in the Night."

Betty was taken aback, to say the least. She started to say, "I'm afraid there's been a mistake. You see, Jeff… " She turned around looking for the tall actor.

Immediately Jeff grabbed Betty's arm and dragged her to the other side of the room. Betty suspiciously turned on him. "Did Scott pay you to let him do this part or something?"

He glanced nervously over at Hilary. "No, Betty. You don't understand. Scott is saving my life…literally." Jeff quickly explained that Scott was doing it as a favor to him.

"Oh. But why?"

He told her about Veronica's reputation with her leading men and that he didn't want to do anything that might upset Hilary. Somehow the knowledge that all of Veronica's leading men fell in love with her didn't ease Betty's mind. She looked over to see Veronica hanging onto Scott's arm and laughing into his eyes. He, in turn, seemed to be enjoying it very much.

Betty rolled her eyes. "It's OK Jeff. I understand." Jeff landed a big kiss on Betty's cheek. "Gee, thanks Betty." Jeff hurried away to stand by Hilary, who had started glaring at them when she observed the kiss.

Betty scolded herself, Betty Roberts, why are you letting this bother you? Scott, surprisingly, is a good actor. It doesn't matter if it's Jeff or Scott playing opposite Veronica. And as far as the way Scott's reacting to Veronica right now, why do you care? Besides, he's just being Scott. You know first hand that he's a hopeless flirt. Betty again tried to bury those pesky thoughts and feelings for Scott, but she wasn't completely successful this time.

Chapter Three – Lonely Room

Later that evening, Betty unlocked the door to her room and went in. She wondered why it didn't feel as cozy as usual. Tonight it just felt empty and cold and too quiet. She wondered if she was coming down with the flu or something. She certainly didn't feel very well. All day she had felt run down and distracted. Maybe I should turn in early.

While fixing some warm milk, the phone rang. It was Victor calling from Washington DC. Their conversation was the same as usual, nice and normal and mostly about the station.

After she hung up, she hoped hearing from Victor would get her mind off the day's events. She took a sip of her now tepid milk then poured the rest in the sink and decided to just go to bed.

She climbed into bed and lay in the dark. She tried to think about Victor, but she kept remembering the eagerness in Scott's voice when he accepted Veronica's invitation to show her the town.

She forced herself to think about Victor. In the quiet darkness of her room, she was finally able to admit to herself that her feelings for Victor were changing. Well, maybe not changing. She still admired and respected him as much as ever, but she was beginning to understand that what she felt for him was not the kind of love a woman should feel for a man.

I guess I'm growing up.

She slept fitfully that night, tossing and turning and dreaming about being given a prized possession, only to have it taken away from her. She woke up and found tears on her face.

Chapter Four – In The News

The next morning, Betty reluctantly walked up to the door of the station. She didn't want to be here. She was tired and still didn't feel well. Maybe she would go home a little early today. Betty walked in the door to see everyone gathered around Gertie's desk chattering excitedly. She managed a fake little smile. "Good morning everyone. What's all the excitement?"

Gertie looked up, "Oh, my heavens Betty, didn't you see the morning paper?" Betty didn't have a good feeling about this.

"Well, no. I slept in a bit this morning..."

Gertie shoved the paper in her face, "Well look!" Betty took the paper. Splashed on the front page was a picture of Veronica and Scott dancing. Veronica was reaching up and kissing him on the cheek. The headline read "Veronica Rivers Out on the Town with New Beau."

Noticing the look on Betty's face, Gertie grew concerned. "Betty dear, are you all right? You look very pale?"

"Huh? I'm sorry Gertie. What did you say?"

Just then the door of the station opened and Veronica walked in. Eugenia exclaimed, "Oh Miss Rivers, did you see the paper?"

Veronica looked at the paper and a secretive smile crossed her face. "I'll have to show this to Scott. He's right behind me." Everyone but Betty giggled and then followed in Veronica's wake to the Green Room chattering happily.

Quiet descended on the reception area. Betty's legs suddenly felt very weak so she sat down on the couch. Her eyes began to puddle with tears. "What is wrong with me?"

Scott walked in the door just as she was fumbling in her purse for a handkerchief. He saw Betty and his face brightened. "Betty. Betty. Betty." As quickly as his face brightened, it turned to concern when he saw the tears. "Betty are you alright?"

He found his handkerchief and sat down next to her. He gently put his hand under her chin and lifted her face up and began wiping away her tears.

"Tell me what's wrong." He was using that voice. Betty looked at the concern in his eyes and remembered how strong his arms were. She thought how easy it would be to dissolve into his arms in tears and pour out everything she was feeling, if only she knew what it was that she was feeling.

"Uh hum!" Excuse me." Betty and Scott looked up to see Mr. Eldridge. "Scott, Miss River says I'm to get you the second you come in. She needs you. In the Green Room, I mean." Betty, brought back to earth with a thud, quickly stood up. Scott stood up and distractedly said to Mr. Eldridge, "Tell her I'll be just a minute, Mr. Eldridge."

Betty shook her head. "Oh don't keep Miss Rivers waiting on my account."

Scott turned back to her. "Betty, I want to make sure you're okay first."

"I'm fine!" She snapped. "I'm just coming down with a cold or the flu or something. And the last thing I need is Scott Sherwood's concern." She hurried away to the refuge of her office and didn't see Scott's shoulders sag or the demolished look on his face.

Betty shut her office door and leaned back against it. What is wrong with me? I've turned into a blubbering idiot. She was grateful for the anger that started welling up in her. It was helping to dry her tears.

She wiped the last of her tears away and realized she still had Scott's handkerchief. She examined it with interest. It was a beautiful raw silk in pure white with a small burgundy and gray monogram in one corner - SRS. She realized that she didn't know Scott's middle name and wondered what it was. There was a very subtle and tasteful Oriental pattern stitched in white on the other three corners. She wondered what foreign adventure he was on when he bought it and wished she knew. Another thought came to her and she snorted. "It was more than likely a gift from a woman." She held it up to her nose and noticed the masculine scent of his aftershave. She had to admit she loved the smell of his aftershave. She thought back to the scene that just transpired. He had been so kind to her and she had snapped his head off. She suddenly felt a desperate urge to apologize and tell him she did appreciate his concern.

She slipped into the ladies lounge and washed away the signs of tears and touched up her makeup. She then went looking for Scott. She looked in the control room window and saw him talking to CJ. She quietly opened the door. They both looked up at her.

"Scott, can I talk to you for a minute?" She hated the wary look that briefly crossed his face knowing she had put it there. "CJ, would you mind?"

"Normally not Betty, but we go on the air in 30 seconds."

Maple poked her head in the door from the Studio. "Scotty, we need to go over these promos before we go on."

CJ started the countdown. Scott hesitated then said, "I'm sorry Betty. I've got to go. I'll catch you after the broadcast."

"That's all right Scott. I just...I just wanted to tell you I'd have your handkerchief cleaned and get it back to you as soon as possible."

Scott looked a bit disappointed then resigned and said over his shoulder as he left the control room, "Listen. Don't worry about it. You just keep it."

Betty spent what she could of the day in her office. She ventured out at lunchtime only, only to be told that Scott and Veronica had gone out to eat together. She quickly retreated back into her office, not wanting to listen to the inevitable gossip and speculation.

Betty glanced at her watch – forty five minutes until the broadcast of Ships That Pass In The Night. She had put her heart and soul into writing it, but for some reason dreaded hearing it on the air.

Gertie popped her head in the door. "I'm going home now Betty. I would like to stay and hear the program, but my sister from Albany is calling tonight. How are you feeling?"

"Gertie, to be honest, not very well. I think I'll call it a day. Wait and I'll walk out with you."

When Betty got home, she tried to ignore the clock. She knew the broadcast was in progress. Instead of listening to the program, she kept busy by carefully washing and ironing Scott's handkerchief. Then with only 5 minutes left in the program, she finally turned on the radio.

Clinically she was thinking that the cliffhanger she wrote certainly worked. Emotionally all she could hear was "that voice" sounding so tender with another woman. A surge of jealousy washed over her. As much as she hated to admit it, Scott and Veronica were great together.

Chapter Five – Betty's Limelight

The next day passed quickly because it was so hectic. Betty was glad in a way. It kept her from thinking about the absence of Veronica and Scott most of the day. She didn't want to think about where they might be or what they might be doing.

The phones were ringing off the hook. Ships was a huge hit with the listeners and they couldn't wait for tonight's installment. Sponsors were also calling, wanting to advertise on the next two nights and willing to pay top price. Even the national newspapers were full of pictures and gossip about Veronica Rivers and Scott, who had accompanied her to the opera the night before.

Speculation at the station was running rampant. The general consensus was that since Scott and Veronica were spending practically every waking minute together, it must be getting serious.

Betty spent most of her day on the phone helping to field calls from the sponsors, listeners and the press.

Fifteen minutes before the second episode of Ships was set to start, Betty was in her office looking at some preliminary ratings. Amazingly, they had nearly doubled. She heard the now familiar commotion out in the hall indicating the arrival of Veronica and her entourage. She walked over to her door and peered out.

It was quite a scene. A glowing Veronica was on Scott's arm, laughing into his face. Several members of the local and national press were surrounding them. Many of the WENN employees were gathered around as well. Gertie was proudly telling everyone about all the positive phone calls they had been getting. Scott looked very happy. Betty quietly shut the door and didn't see or hear what Scott did next.

A member of the press asked him how he had become such a good actor. Uncharacteristically, Scott was humble in his answer. "We just say the words that are given to us. The writer, Betty Roberts, deserves most of the praise. That's Betty Rob..."

Before he could finish, the reporter interrupted him with another question about his and Veronica's relationship. Scott grabbed the man's lapel. "Do you want to continue enjoying access to this station?"

Shaken, the reporter replied, "Of course Mr. Sherwood."

"Then get out your pen and take down the name of the writer of the show. It's Betty Roberts. You got that?"

Thoroughly subdued, the reporter said, "Yes sir." The other reporters quickly jotted the name down as well.

Veronica's eye's narrowed for a moment as she looked at Scott, then pulled on his arm. "Scott darling, we better get ready to go on the air."

As soon as she got Scott out of earshot, she turned on him. "What the hell was that about?"

"Just giving credit where credit is due." He glanced at his watch and said as he walked into Studio A. "Oh, would you look at the time."

Betty looked at the clock on the wall - five minutes until Ships started. She stood up and stretched, not noticing Scott's handkerchief fall off her lap and into the garbage can. She felt restless and cooped up in her office. She peeked out her window and saw a throng of people crowding into the control room. Curiosity got the best of her. She decided to go across the hall and watch the broadcast with everyone else.

She pasted a smile on her face as she slipped in behind the crowd. Eugenia noticed her. "Oh, there you are Betty. Isn't this exciting?" Betty nodded, "Mmm."

A reporter, overhearing this exchange, turned to Betty. "You're THE Betty Roberts? Can I ask you a couple of questions?"

"Well, I'm not sure..."

"Please. My readers would love to learn about the woman who wrote this wonderful program."

Knowing this would be good for the station, Betty agreed. The word passed quickly among the reporters that the elusive Betty Roberts was here and willing to answer some questions. Many followed her out into the hall. The two starring actors observed this defection of the press. Their reactions were very different. Veronica clenched her teeth and seethed while Scott nodded in satisfaction.

At first the questions directed to Betty were about her, but the reporters soon changed the subject to Scott and Veronica's relationship.

"Miss Roberts, observers have said that they have never seen Veronica Rivers quite this smitten with a man before. Do you know if Mr. Sherwood returns her feelings?"

Betty's mind went blank and her mouth became very dry. She blinked several times. She was acutely aware of eight sets of eyes watching her waiting for an answer.

"Um...I...I'm sure I don't know…"

"We know you are friends with Mr. Sherwood. Has he talked to you about Veronica?"

"Miss Roberts, is there something wrong? You look very pale."

Betty managed to gather her thoughts. She cleared her throat. "I really can't comment on the personal lives of our actors." She began leading them back over to the control room. "Is that all the questions? Good. Thank you. The show is about to start, so you better return to your places."

Betty watched them file into the control room but somehow couldn't bring herself to go back in. She quietly slipped out and went for a walk.

After the show, while Veronica was in the ladies lounge getting ready to go out for the evening, Scott knocked on Betty's office door, but there was no answer. He opened the door and went in.

Veronica found Scott sitting in Betty's office. He was in the dark holding a rumpled handkerchief. "Are you ready to go?" Then, noticing the look on his face, she asked, "Scott, is there something wrong?"

Scott looked up. "Not a thing. Let's get out of here."

He started to put the handkerchief in his pocket, but thought better of it and dropped it back in the garbage can where he had found it.

Chapter Six – Veronica Stakes Her Claim

Betty woke the next day with a sense of relief. The last day of Veronica's stay was finally here. As she was dressing she thought, If we can just get through today, things will settle down at the station and we can all get back to normal. She hoped her chaotic emotions would get back to normal as well.

Before she walked out the door, she carefully put Scott's silk handkerchief where she wouldn't lose it again. She wondered again how it got in her garbage can. She was very glad she had found it and rescued it.

She walked into the station with a bit of the old spring in her step. She was thinking about how nice it will be to have Scott around again – to have a normal, friendly conversation with him – to have his undivided attention. She laughed at herself. She was even looking forward to hearing "Betty, Betty, Betty." She couldn't believe that she was admitting how lonely she had been without him around.

She walked into her office and stopped short. Veronica was sitting at her desk waiting for her. "Miss Rivers, can I help you with something?"

Veronica was a very astute woman, especially when it came to affairs of the heart. She knew that Scott thought he was in love with this woman and suspected that the feelings were returned. She didn't want any unexpected curves thrown into her plans, so she intended to nip it in the bud right now.

"Oh, I hope you don't mind. I needed to talk some girl talk." Veronica floated from behind the desk hugging herself. "I just have to tell someone or I'll burst." Veronica allowed a dramatic pause and then declared, "Oh, Miss Roberts, I'm in love!"

Betty slowly took off her coat and put her purse away as Veronica continued. "It's Scott, of course. He is simply the most wonderful, exciting man I've ever met. Ooh, and he's so incredibly sexy. Don't you think?" A pause, then, "Oh, I see that I've shocked you, Betty. May I call you Betty? I'm sorry. You see, Scott and I are rather unconventional when it comes to life...and love."

Betty pasted a smile on her face and tried not to think about what was being implied. She turned away from the starlet and pretended to straighten the knick-knacks on her bookshelf.

Veronica lowered her voice to a whisper. "I think Scott could be THE ONE and I'll let you in on a little secret. I know he feels the same way about me. I'm certain he is going to propose soon."

Veronica studied Betty's stiff back intently. Satisfied that her words had elicited the desired response, she got up to leave. "Well, I'd better be going. Please keep my little secret between us girls."

Betty managed a little nod then waited what seemed an eternity for the door to shut. As soon as she heard the click, she dissolved onto the couch in tears, using the white silk handkerchief she had put next to her heart.

Chapter Seven – Gossip, Gossip, Gossip

The third and final triumphant episode of Ships was over. The reporters had hurried off to meet their deadlines for the morning papers. Things had quieted down significantly and the staff of WENN was making preparations to call it a day.

Gertie straightened her desk then slipped into her jacket. She looked around for her purse, then remembered she had left it in the Green Room where she and Tom had been playing a friendly game of Penny Parcheesi.

As she walked by Studio A, she heard low voices coming from inside. Curiosity got the best of her and she tiptoed closer to listen. When she heard what was being said and who was saying it, her mouth dropped open and her eyes grew big as saucers. She couldn't believe it. Veronica was declaring her love for Scott and asking him to come with her to Hollywood. She wanted him to co-star in her next movie. Gertie, ecstatic to be the first to know this earth shattering news, rushed off to spread it.

In the Writer's Room, Betty heaved a sigh of relief as she put the cover on her typewriter and straightened the desk. She certainly was glad to see the end of this day finally come. Once again she thought of the conversation she had earlier with Veronica. After pondering it most of the day, she had convinced herself it would blow over when Veronica left. She would move on to another town and another man as she always did.

She walked to the door and turned around for one last glance at the room. Everything was neat and orderly. She would be very glad when order was returned to her emotions as well as everything else around the station.

She shut the door after her and walked down the hall pulling on her gloves. As she turned the corner she looked up and saw the ladies of WENN huddled outside her office discussing something that obviously had them very excited. Betty walked up with a smile and asked what was going on.

Gertie turned to her, "Oh, Betty. It's so exciting and romantic. Scott and Veronica are in love and he is going to Hollywood with her."

Betty's legs suddenly felt like they had turned to jelly and she felt the all too familiar tears starting to form. She pled with herself, Oh, please. Don't break down in front of everyone. She swallowed hard then retreated into the anger that had helped her get through the last three days. "Well, I'm sorry. He can't just up and leave! He has a contract with WENN!"

Maple pursed her lips and decided to put her two cents in. She took Betty aside and whispered, "Betty, whether you want to admit it or not, deep down Scotty's one of the good guys. He deserves to be happy. You've made it crystal clear you're not interested, so I say let him go. Give him the chance to find happiness somewhere else."

With that said, Maple joined Gertie and Eugenia as they headed toward the door still chattering with excitement. At the door, Maple reached up to turn off the reception area light and looked back. Betty hadn't moved. Maple shook her head, turned off the light and walked out the door.

In Studio A, Scott had turned down Veronica's offer. Rejection was something Veronica Rivers was not used to. She was furious and lashed out. "What is wrong with you? Aren't you a man? Whenever we're alone you treat me like your little sister. And now you're turning down the acting opportunity of a lifetime!"

Seeing Scott's set jaw, she quickly realized that this tack wasn't working. She tried a different approach. She sauntered over and sat on his lap, ran her fingers through his hair and whispered against his lips. "Scotty, don't you find me attractive?"

Out in the hall, the reception area light going off brought Betty out of her stupor. She noticed a light still on in Studio A and automatically walked over in a daze intending to turn if off. She glanced through the window just as Veronica sat on Scott's lap. She quickly turned away. Profound loneliness enveloped her momentarily but was quickly replaced by anger and determination. Her eyes got steely. "We'll see about this." She marched into her office.

Scott slowly stood up, depositing Veronica. He walked over to the door and looked out at the now dark hallway. He noticed the light still on in Betty's office and wondered what she was doing. Turning around, he answered Veronica's questions with a sigh. "Of course I think you're attractive, and I…I'm really not interested in being an actor." He glanced across at Betty's office again. "That's not why I work here." His voice trailed off.

Veronica's eyes narrowed and she spoke sarcastically to the back of his head, "I see. Then there must be something or someone keeping you working here. Let's see who could it possibly be?" She clapped her hands together. "Oh, I've got it. It's that skinny, corn-fed hack writer, isn't it?"

This finally got Scott's undivided attention. He took a moment to get his anger in check before calmly replying, "Maybe it would be best if we got you to the train station as quickly as possible."

"Scotty dear, you're devotion to that little...girl is admirable. But will you take a bit of advice from a friend? Girls like that don't fall for men like you." It surprised Veronica to see the real pain in Scott's eyes. When he didn't respond, she shrugged her voluptuous shoulders. "Oh well. Your loss. There are plenty of men who would die to be with me."

Scott agreed, "Legions. And you deserve someone who can adore you like that. You ready to go?"

"Let me just freshen up a bit." Veronica exited into the dark hall. She stopped for a moment, her shoulders sagging. She reached up to wipe away a genuine tear. "Damn you, Scott Sherwood."

Chapter Eight – Do Dreams Really Come True?

Once inside her office, Betty stormed over to the file cabinet. She yanked open one of the drawers and pulled out Scott's contract. She walked over to her desk and slammed the contract down on it then plopped down in her chair with her back stiff and her arms folded. She was able to hold this defiant pose for maybe 10 seconds. Then, like ice cream in the summer sun, she began to melt. Her expression fell into that of a hurt and lost little girl. Her shoulders sagged and she slumped in the chair. She stared into space for a few seconds, then with a sigh laid her head back and closed her eyes.

The door to Betty's office opened and Scott popped his head in. "Can I talk to you Betty?"

She did her best to perk up and motioned him in. "Come in Scott, but I already know what you came here to talk about."

"You do?"

Betty busied herself with straightening some papers. She couldn't bring herself to look at him but managed to say with barely a quiver in her voice, "Yes, it's all over the station. You're going to Hollywood with Veronica."

Scott picked up a magazine from the end table and, while thumbing through it, replied nonchalantly, "Oh, that. I'm not going."

It took two heartbeats for his words to penetrate Betty's quickly thrown-up defenses. She looked up with hope shining in her eyes. Afraid that Scott would read her face, she quickly stood up and walked to the front of her desk and shakily leaned on it with her back to him. She pretended to straighten the already neat desk. She successfully wiped the revealing expression off her face and somehow managed to regain her composure. She turned around just as Scott looked up from the magazine. "But why wouldn't you go? It's such a wonderful opportunity."

Scott carefully put the magazine down and looked directly into her eyes. Betty's heart felt like it was going to come out of her chest, but she couldn't turn away from his gaze. After what seemed an eternity, Scott almost whispered, "Don't you know?"

"Well, no. I..."

Scott tossed the magazine aside and began to purposefully walk toward her. "I guess I'll have to show you." When he got to her, he slowly put his hands on her waist. Without hesitation Betty ran her hands up his chest and around his neck. She eagerly met his descending lips and they shared a long, tender yet passionate kiss that shook Betty to the core.

She let out a soft sigh, "Oh, Scott."

Scott whispered as he gently touched her face, "Betty." His voice suddenly became louder and urgent, "BETTY? BETTY!" Betty opened her eyes and replied dreamily, "Yes Scott?"

With a start, Betty realized she had been dreaming. She was still sitting in her chair behind her desk. Scott was down on one knee next to her, gently patting her face and calling her name. She saw concern on his face. "Betty, are you alright? You look flushed and you called out my name."

Mortified with embarrassment, Betty jumped up and put some distance between her and Scott. "I'm fine."

She went to the front of her desk and leaned on it, trying to regain her composure. He followed her. "Are you sure you're alright?"

"Of course." She snapped.

Scott retreated back near the door looking resigned. "Betty, I need to talk to you." Betty responded a little angrier than she intended to. "Don't bother. I already know what you came here to talk about."

"You do?"

"Yes, it's all over the station. You're going to Hollywood with Veronica."

Scott picked up a magazine and while thumbing through it replied nonchalantly, "Oh, that. I'm not going."

Betty's heart began to thump at the familiarity of Scott's words. Was it just a coincidence or was her dream coming true? She turned around just as Scott looked at her. She spoke as if reading from a script. "But why wouldn't you go? It's such a wonderful opportunity."

It got very quiet except for Betty's beating heart. It seemed as if the whole world was waiting to hear what he would say next. Finally, he whispered, "Don't you know?"

She managed a breathless, "No."

On cue, Scott tossed the magazine aside and began to purposefully walk toward her. "I guess I'll have to show you."

Scott's hands slowly wrapped around her waist. Strange how she had never noticed the gold flecks in his warm brown eyes. Betty couldn't seem to help herself. Her hands started sliding up his chest. She closed her eyes eagerly awaiting the kiss that should come next. Just as Betty felt Scott's breath on her lips, Veronica swooped in the door. "Scotty, are you ready to go? We'll be late if we don't hurry."

Betty opened her eyes and looked into Scott's. He answered with his back to Veronica and without taking his hands off Betty's waist or his eyes off her face. "I'll be out in a minute. I have some unfinished business to take care of."

Veronica, seeing the expression on Scott's face, felt a foreign emotion - jealousy. She turned to leave the room but couldn't resist saying over her shoulder as she went out, "Be sure to save some of those yummy kisses for me Scott dear. You know how much I enjoy them." A small giggle. "Among other things."

The return to reality this time was especially painful for Betty. To hide her vulnerability, she once again lashed out angrily. She pushed against Scott's chest trying to get away but his grip on her waist tightened. She spat, "Are these the same moves you make on her and all your...legions of women?"

Betty's anger dissolved as fast as it flared up. She opened her mouth to apologize, but Scott interrupted, "Moves? You think I'm making moves on you? You may be happy to know those days are over Betty."

Scott tightened his hold on her waist, picked her up and set her aside. He reached around her for the contract on the desk.

"What is this?" she asked when he put the contract in her hand.

"The reason I'm not going to Hollywood, of course. What did you think I was doing?" He turned and left, slamming the door on his way out. All Betty seemed capable of doing at that moment was to stand there staring at his contract, her mind a blank.

Out in the hall, Scott stormed over to the front door where Veronica was smugly waiting. He was furious for what she had implied about their relationship and let her know it. She sarcastically apologized, "Oh, Scotty, I'm so sorry. Is there anything I can do to make it up to you?"

He put his hand on her back to hurry her out the door. "Let's just get you on the train."

After staring at the contract for a moment, Betty rushed after Scott to ask him what he meant when he said his days of putting moves on were over. Did he mean all other woman or just her?

Out of the corner of her eye, Veronica spotted Betty emerging into the hall. She stopped, turned and planted a lingering kiss on Scott's lips for Betty's benefit. Then with a smug smile whispered to Scott, "Forgive me for wanting at least one kiss to remember you by."

Betty couldn't see the exasperated look on Scott's face but suddenly saw other things so clearly. Her feelings for Scott had always been so muddled and confused, but with a rush they became crystal clear. She backed around the corner and leaned against the wall. "My gosh. I love Scott Sherwood."

After her initial shock, a slow smile of wonderment broke out on her face. "I really do love Scott Sherwood."

Chapter Nine - Confidants

Betty arrived at work the next day with one goal in mind - to talk to Scott and apologize. She had hardly slept a wink last night, but she wasn't tired. Her moment of self-realization last night had energized her. Now that she had admitted to herself how she felt about Scott, she wondered what had taken her so long. She realized now that she had loved him for a very long time.

She had to think of a way to let him know that she returned his feelings – that is, if he still had feelings for her. For a second, she felt terror rip through her heart at the thought that she might have killed something so very precious. Betty hurried down the hall looking in each room, but Scott was nowhere to be found. She came back to Gertie's desk. "Gertie, has Scott come in yet?"

Gertie looked at her watch. "He called a half an hour ago and said he and Maple were going to have breakfast together and would be here in an hour or so."

Betty found herself a bit envious of Maple's easy friendship with Scott. She knew it was going to be hard, but she would just have to try and be patient until they came in.

Maple walked into The Flying Diner and looked around for Scott. His early phone call had woken her up. He told her that he needed to talk to someone. The sound of his voice had concerned her a bit. He seemed so down, which just wasn't in Scotty's nature.

She spotted him in a corner booth and joined him. "Hey Scotty. What's up?" If his voice on the phone had concerned her, the defeated look on his face and his unkempt appearance alarmed her.

"Thanks for coming Maple. You're a good friend."

She did her best to hide her concern. "Anytime big guy."

They placed their orders with the waitress. Scott, usually a hearty eater, only ordered coffee. After the waitress left, Maple turned to Scott. "Scotty, whatever's bothering you, just spit it out. You'll feel better. Is it about Veronica?"

"I don't think I'll ever feel better, Mapes, and no, it's not about Veronica." He ran both hands through his hair.

The obvious dawned on Maple. "You're still in love with Betty, aren't you?"

He nodded.

"We all thought that you and Veronica…So I take it you're not going to Hollywood."

Scott shook his head. "I can't believe what Betty's has done to me. I've never felt this way before. I've always been able to move on and never look back – no strings attached. I don't know what real love feels like Maple, but this has got to be it. I'd do anything for her." Scott got a faraway look in his eyes. "For just a moment yesterday I thought I saw something in Betty's eyes that gave me hope, but then..." His voice trailed off, then he continued. "It's pretty pathetic really. Mapes, do you know what I did last night? I sat outside the Barbazon until 5:00 this morning trying to get up the nerve to go talk to her and ask her once and for all how she felt about me."

"Well, why didn't you?"

He shrugged his defeated shoulders. "I knew what her answer would be."

Maple watched Scott's face as he talked about Betty and hoped that someday someone would love her like that. She thought to herself, Betty Roberts, you're a fool.

Scott continued, "The last thing I ever want to do is hurt Betty and that's all I've been doing the last couple of years."

"I don't understand Scotty. How have you hurt her?"

"I don't know. Everything I do seems to make her unhappy and upset. Especially when I try to get close to her."

Maple's heart was aching for her good friend. "Scotty, what are you going to do?"

He tried to answer with resolve. "I'm going to do my best to make her happy by giving up. For the first time in my life, I'm crying uncle. I'm going to back off. I'm not going to bother her anymore. I won't do anything to interfere with her and Victor. In fact, I'll encourage their relationship. I'll show up at work, do my job, then go home."

"Are you sure that's possible, Scott? Wouldn't it be kinda like trying to hold back a tidal wave?"

"You're probably right, Mapes, but I've got to try. And if it gets too hard, I'll have no choice but to pack up and move on."

Back at the station, Betty felt like she was on pins and needles. She kept checking her watch. Where was Scott? He was 5 minutes late. All she had accomplished in the last hour was to pace up and down, stare into space and listen for the front door.

Out in the hall, she finally heard Gertie say, "Good morning, Scott. Good morning, Maple." Betty's heart leapt to her throat. She made herself walk slowly over to her door. She watched as Scott and Maple came down the hall arm in arm. They both looked so serious. Again she felt a twinge of envy.

She wanted to be the one to help Scott when he was troubled. When they came to the Studio door they stopped and turned to one another. They didn't see Betty, but she could hear what they were saying.

Scott kissed Maple's forehead. "Thanks for letting me cry on your shoulder Mapes. You're one in a million."

Maple leaned up and gave Scott a big hug. "I'm so sorry, Big Guy. I know how hard this is going to be for you." She patted his back then took his face in her hands and smiled wistfully, "Why can't OUR dreams come true once in a while, eh?"

Betty backed into her office and quietly shut the door. She felt like her world had just ended. "I'm too late. He's in love with Veronica and is heartbroken because he can't be with her."

Betty sat at her desk for quite a while. Her body was still, but her mind was reeling. Every moment she had spent with Scott was flashing through her mind – the laughter, the tears, the anger, the joy, the camaraderie, the exasperation, the flirting, and the passion.

Suddenly, she sat straight up in her chair, pounded her fist on the desk and said out loud, "No! Scott Sherwood, I know you loved me once and as God is my witness, I won't rest until you do again."

Chapter Ten – Unlikely Matchmaker

A week had gone by since Betty had overheard Scott and Maple's conversation. During that week she had seen Scott all of 5 minutes total. In the past it seemed as if he was everywhere, suddenly he was nowhere. He arrived right before he was due on the air and left immediately after. No longer did he pop his head in her office every 10 minutes wanting to shoot the breeze and flirt outrageously. No longer did he perch himself on the edge of her desk at lunchtime stealing bites of her sandwich. No longer did he linger around at night to keep her company while she finished scripts. No longer did he follow her home to make sure she got there safely. No longer was he there when a crisis flared up.

She thought to herself, Well, I've got a crisis of the heart, Scott Sherwood, and I need you right now. Then wistfully, Where are you?

Betty decided she would just have to create opportunities to be with Scott. She made excuses to be in the studio when he was on the air so she could strike up a conversation with him during breaks. She even did her best to flirt with him. She would stand near him and hoped he liked her new perfume. To her frustration, he was very polite but distant. She got so desperate, she started hanging around Gertie's desk when he was due to arrive and leave. He gave her polite nods of acknowledgement, but nothing more.

During one of Victor's rare visits to the station, Scott popped his head in her door. "Betty, can I talk to you?"

As soon as she got over her astonishment and delight she managed to say, "Of course, Scott. Come in."

Scott took two steps into the room and stopped. He left the door ajar. "I needed to let you know that I took a phone call from Harry Weeks of Weeks & Sons."

Betty glanced at her calendar to refresh her memory. "Yes, I have a lunch appointment with him today."

Victor walked in the door just as Scott said, "Well, he rescheduled for tomorrow, if that's alright with you."

Scott turned and patted Victor on the back. "Great stoke of luck, Vic. Betty's all yours for lunch today. You two crazy kids have a fun time." Scott hastily retreated from the room.

Victor's look at Betty was quizzical. "What's up with Sherwood? He's certainly acting out of character. Anyway, I won't be able to have lunch with you today. I'm meeting with…"

"That's alright Victor. I didn't expect it."

After Victor left, Betty called Mr. Weeks to confirm the rescheduled lunch personally.

"I'm confused, Miss Roberts. It was YOUR office that rescheduled. Mr. Sherwood called and said your fiancée came into town unexpectedly and you wanted to spend the day with him."

Betty was really perplexed. "My fianc...You're sure it was Mr. Sherwood who called you?"

"Positive. I talked to him personally and he was very persuasive as only he can be. Sounds like he's a terrific friend to give you time with your fiancée. A nice girl like you needs to be married and having babies."

Betty hung up the phone in complete confusion. She wondered what in the world Scott was doing. Is he actually going out of his way to put me and Victor together? Am I such a pest to him that he's trying to pawn me off on someone else? The situation is worse than I thought.

She allowed herself a moment of discouragement before squaring her shoulders and declaring, "It just looks like I'm going to have to move on to Plan B."

Chapter Eleven – Shivering

It was late October and Pittsburgh was experiencing an unexpected cold snap. Betty shivered as she walked in the door of the station on Monday morning. Scott was on the phone at Gertie's desk. "But, we have no heat at all." He listened for a moment then sighed in frustration. "Well, get here as soon as you can."

As Scott was talking, Betty started to take off her coat then quickly put it back on. The room felt like an icicle. Scott slammed down the phone. "Damn!" He looked up and saw Betty. "Sorry, Betty."

"Obviously we have no heat, but why so much frustration?"

Scott ran a hand through his jet black hair. "Apparently we're only one of 5000 places without heat and there are 4000 ahead of us in line to get service."

Betty wondered what it would feel like to run her hands through his hair and suddenly felt very warm in spite of the cold. She shook herself out of her daydream just as Maple, Gertie and Euqenia came in the door. "Don't take your coats off ladies. We're completely out of heat and don't know when it will be restored."

The rest of the day was spent shivering. The employees at WENN were troopers and managed to get through it, but it was miserable. Scott spent most of the day on the phone, trying to find an available service man. He tried bribery. He tried making them feel guilty. He tried sweet talking the secretaries. Nothing worked. By the end of the frigid day, no one wanted to linger around the station. All wanted to hurry home to their warm abodes.

Betty was in the writer's room finishing tomorrow's scripts. She had a heavy, oversized wool sweater on, but her fingers were still cold. She felt like she was typing in molasses.

One by one, all the WENN'ers stuck their heads in to say good night. Everyone, that is, but Scott. She had seen him leave about an hour before without a word.

Betty paused in her typing to blow on her hands. The station had grown very quiet. She told herself that after having stayed late dozens of times she should be used to the quiet and emptiness of the station by now, but it still disconcerted her a bit. As much as she hated to admit it, she missed the comforting presence of Scott on these late nights.

"Oh, pooh. I give up." Betty decided to call it a day. She wasn't getting anything accomplished. She stood up and stretched. She thought of her warm, soft bed and couldn't wait to get home. She took off her sweater and hung it on the back of her chair.

Betty stepped out in the dark hall and shivered in her short sleeves. She headed toward her office where her coat and purse were. It was dark, but she easily navigated the familiar hall.

As Betty reached her office, she heard the distinctive squeak of the front door opening. She froze in her tracks. THUMP! She then heard footsteps. Her heart started to pound and her mouth went dry. In the dim light, she could see a dark figure moving around Gertie's desk opening drawers. Her heart screamed. Scott, where are you? I need you! Betty covered her mouth with her hand to stop from making any noise. She frantically looked around and grabbed the first 'weapon' she could find - a heavy metal garbage can.

As quietly as she could, she sneaked toward the figure. As she drew nearer she had to talk herself into being brave. "OK, Betty. Don't lose your nerve. You're almost there." Five feet. Four feet. Three feet. At the moment she raised the garbage can to hit him, the back of the intruder froze. He had heard her. He spun around, grabbed her arm and twisted it behind her with such quickness that she dropped the garbage can and fell to her knees. Her arm was held behind her in a vice grip and a knee was in her back, forcing her face toward the floor.

A dozen thoughts flashed through her mind. This is it. I'm going to die. Momma and Daddy, I love you. Scott, wherever you are, I love you. Out loud, she managed to say to her attacker. "Let me go, you big bully! I've called the police."

"Betty?" Her arm and back were immediately released. "My gosh, Betty, are you trying to scare me to death?"

At the sound of Scott's voice, Betty's body went limp and she began to cry with relief. In one quick movement, he turned her toward him, sat down on the floor with her and took her in his arms. All the defenses he had thrown up came crumbling down. "Betty, I am so sorry." He held her until she stopped shaking. He took her arm to examine it. "Did I hurt you? Let me see." The tenderness and concern in his face was something she had been hungering for. She looked up into his face as he was massaging her arm and shoulder. He looked back and was caught by her warm brown eyes that seemed to be pleading for something. She couldn't help herself. She glanced down at his mouth. She remembered how warm his lips were and how they made her feel - so different from the awkward kisses of her boyfriends back in high school and college. She looked back up into his eyes. For what seemed an eternity, their gazes locked.

At that moment, more than anything in the world, Betty wanted him to kiss her again. Kiss her until all the hurt and loneliness and longing disappeared. Kiss her so she could kiss him back with all her heart and show him she loved him.

And more than anything in the world, Scott wanted to kiss Betty. Kiss her to show her how sorry he was he hurt and frightened her. Kiss her until his pain and loneliness and longing disappeared. Kiss her until all her feelings for Victor magically evaporated.

Scott knew he was treading on dangerous ground here. He pulled back, breaking the spell. To mask his feelings, he became very brisk with her. "Well, it seems as if you're OK." He pulled her to her feet, went into her office, got her coat and helped her on with it. "It's late, Betty. You need to get home." He started urging her toward the door.

Betty became aware that Scott was wearing casual clothes. She observed to herself that he wore them very well. She also noticed that a lock of his hair had fallen across his forehead. She wondered how he would react if she reached up and brushed it back. She smiled at the thought. As they neared the door she noticed a tool belt on the floor. That must have been the thump she heard.

Scott, desperate to get her out of temptation's way, gently shoved her out the door. "Well, good night, Betty. We'll see you tomorrow." Out in the hall, Betty let the door swing shut behind her. Inside, Scott breathed a sigh of relief. "That was a close one, Scotty boy."

Back out in the hall, Betty hadn't moved an inch. "Wait a minute." She turned around and went back in. Scott was again going through Gertie's desk drawers. Betty demanded, "I'm not going anywhere until you tell me what you're up to."

Scott triumphantly held up the key to the basement. "Oh, I'm just going downstairs to tinker with the furnace a bit to see if I can get it going."

"Oh."

"Now off you go. Don't worry, I'll lock up." With that, he headed out the door and down the stairs.

Betty couldn't believe her good luck. She wasn't going anywhere. She was staying right here until Scott was done. She couldn't pass up this opportunity to be alone with him. She hoped it would be easier to talk with no one around. She went back to the writer's room, took off her coat, put her sweater back on, and began to type and wait.

Chapter Twelve – Keeping Warm

Betty's eyes felt like they were full of gravel. She glanced at her watch. Time seemed to be dragging. She couldn't believe only 15 minutes had passed. Curiosity got the better of her and she decided to go down to the furnace room to see if she could be of any help.

She slowly climbed down the rickety wooden stairs into the cellar. It was dark and musty smelling and cold. She shivered in her sweater. When she got to the bottom of the stairs she felt a familiar panic start in her throat. Ever since being accidentally locked in their storm cellar when she was eight, she had been a bit claustrophobic about being underground. Up ahead, the door to the furnace room was open with an inviting light shining from it. She quickly headed toward it. She walked up to the door and peeked in. She saw Scott's feet first. He was on his back under something. While she stood there, he swung out from underneath and got on one knee, peering into a hole.

She thought she better make her presence known. She leaned over and said quietly, "Scott?"

He had been concentrating so hard that she startled him. He stood up quickly bumping into her, which sent her flying backwards. The door that was propped open stopped her from falling to the floor, but the weight of her body dislodged the stopper that was holding it open. The door began to silently slide shut.

Scott yelled as he lunged at the door, "Don't let the door shut!" Click. He turned to Betty. "Betty, are you bound and determined to give me a heart attack tonight? What are you doing down here? I thought you went home an hour ago."

His anger at her and his obvious dislike of having her there hurt Betty more that she could say. She answered back sharply. "It's only been 15 minutes and, I'm sorry, I thought you might need some help. But, obviously I'm not wanted, so I'll just go."

She stormed over to the door and grabbed the handle and pulled. It was stuck. She tried again. It wouldn't budge. She thought, What a way to ruin a dramatic exit. She turned around to see Scott leaned against the wall with his arms folded laughing at her. She snapped, "What's so funny? The door is stuck."

"It's not stuck."

"Yes, it is." She tugged on the door again. "It won't open."

"It's locked."

"Well then how do I unlock it?"

"You don't. Sorry. You may as well settle in for the night. We're not going anywhere. The door has an automatic lock on it. That's why it's always propped open. It can only be opened from the outside."

As Scott checked out the lock on the door, Betty could feel the familiar panic in her throat start. She backed up until the wall stopped her. The thought of being stuck in this tiny little underground room...

Scott got up brushing his hands. "I can't see any way of opening it up short of dynamite." He turned around and saw the panic on Betty face. He hurried toward her, but stopped a couple of feet short when a thought occurred to him. "Betty, you don't have to worry about being alone with me. I would never..."

The significance of what he was saying penetrated Betty's state of panic and she quickly denied what he was thinking. "No. That's not it at all, Scott. I..."

Scott noticed the beads of perspiration on her forehead. "You're claustrophobic, aren't you?" She answered shakily. "A bit. How did you guess?"

"I'm familiar with the symptoms. A buddy of mine suffered from it. I always used to get his mind off of it by telling him one of my stories."

Betty's eyes pled with him. "Scott, please tell me one of your stories."

Scott quickly glanced around the room and then disappeared into a small alcove behind the furnace. He pulled out an old red velvet Victorian-style couch that only had two legs left. He broke the remaining legs off and pushed it up against the bare wall.

"Well, it's seen better days, but it beats sitting on the floor. Come, sit down, Betty."

Betty took off her sweater and sat down. It was a little lumpy and scratchy and she wiggled a bit to find a comfortable spot. She curled her legs up under her and used her sweater as a blanket. As Scott perched on one of the arms, he shivered. "Now, lean back and close your eyes."

She did. Scott folded his arms to keep warm. "Did I ever tell you about the adventure I had in Morocco?" She shook her head. His voice was so soothing, but she was worried about something. She opened her eyes.

"Scott, you must be cold."

"Nah, I'm fine. Why, when I was in the Antarctic, it was so cold..."

"Scott, I'm serious. I'm not going to be able to relax knowing you're cold. It will make me feel better if you share my sweater with me."

"I don't think that's a good idea, Betty."

"Scott, we've got to be practical. You know as well as I do that body heat is the best way for two people to keep warm." Scott stood up and turned his back on Betty. He ran his hand through his hair.Betty continued matter-of-factly. "I mean it Scott. I'm not going to rest until you come share my sweater with me. In fact, I won't stop talking until you do. I'll talk and talk and talk…"

"OK, OK," He said with a smile. "Anything but that."

Scott sat down next to her and tried not to think of the clean smell of her. Betty covered him with half her sweater and settled back. "OK, I'm happy now. You may go on with your story."

Scott cleared his throat and began his story. "The summers in Morocco are murderous. I was stuck there one sweltering summer with no way out. Three men who wanted nothing better than to see me dead had tracked me there..."

Betty sighed and nestled down close to Scott. He smelled of coal dust and after-shave. She smiled at the thought of the funny combination. Her claustrophobia evaporated into thin air as she got caught up in Scott's wild adventure in Morocco. His voice was so soothing and her head felt so heavy. She stopped fighting it and let her head drop onto Scott's shoulder.

Scott stopped in mid-sentence when he realized Betty was asleep. He studied her serene face and wondered, "How did this little snip of a woman bring me to my knees?" He couldn't help it. He reached up and gently touched her cheek and whispered, "Sweet dreams."

At his touch, Betty squirmed. She wiggled looking for a more comfortable position. Scott lifted his arm up around her shoulders. She immediately put her arms around him and snuggled up into his neck. As Scott sat there wide-awake with his arms tenderly enveloping her, Betty dreamed of coming home.

A clanking noise permeated Betty's sleep. She didn't want to wake up. She had slept so warm and comfortable. What was that irritating noise? Was her ice box acting up again? Reluctantly, she blinked her eyes open. The first thing she noticed was that she wasn't at home in her bed. For a moment, she was disoriented, then with a rush she remembered all that happened last night. Her cheeks flushed at the thought of sleeping in Scott's arms. Scott...Where was he? She came fully awake and looked around. She was alone."Did I dream the whole thing?" She called, "Scott?"

Scott poked his head out from behind the furnace. "We're over here, Betty." With a whoosh, the furnace started. Scott emerged from the furnace room with a man who admonished him. "All fixed, Mr. Sherwood. But you need to be more careful with that door."

"You're right, Mr. Collins. Do you think you could remove the door to prevent this happening again?" He glanced over at Betty. "It's way too dangerous the way it is." Mr. Collins agreed. Scott gave a hand to help Betty up from the low couch. "Come on, Betty. Let's go home and get cleaned up before anyone else gets here." He smiled and gently touched her nose. "You've got soot on your nose."

Betty smiled back. Then, with all the courage she could muster, she reached up and brushed back the lock of Scott's hair that had once again fallen across his forehead.

Chapter Thirteen – Wooing Thaddeus Taylor

Betty's hopes were quickly dashed. After their night in the furnace room, things between her and Scott didn't improve. In fact, Scott seemed even more distant. Betty clung to the memory of the look in Scott's eyes and the tender feel of his arms that night to help her stay optimistic. "He has to still care about me a little. I just have to keep reminding him." All Betty knew for sure was that she was not about to give up.

The next two weeks flew by because they were so busy. The Veronica Rivers visit had increased business two-fold and everyone was scurrying around trying to take care of all the new sponsors. Betty hardly had time to worry about her own problems.

Betty arrived at work one Friday morning. "Good morning, Gertie." Gertie looked at her with excitement in her eyes. She whispered, "Betty, Mr. Thaddeus Taylor is waiting for you in your office." When Betty didn't respond appropriately, Gertie grabbed her by the arms and whispered, "Betty, it's THE Thaddeus Taylor. He owns the biggest steel mill in Pittsburgh. He's a millionaire many times over. I think he wants to advertise with us."

Betty hurried down the hall thinking what a great opportunity this was. She wondered what brought him to WENN. She walked in the door, flashed her biggest smile and extended her hand. "Good morning Mr. Taylor. Welcome to WENN. It's a pleasure to meet you." Out of the corner of her eye, Betty noticed Scott sitting on the couch. Both men stood up.

Thaddeus Taylor was a large man with a laugh as big as his frame and eyes that twinkled. She guessed him to be in his late 60s. Betty looked at him and immediately thought of Santa Claus.

Mr. Taylor grabbed her delicate hand in his big paw and shook it with a laugh. "Miss Roberts, Scott has been trying to convince me I should advertise with your station." He settled back comfortably in his chair. "Can you give me five reasons why I should?" Betty realized that beneath the happy exterior was a very serious businessman who would expect a serious answer from her.

For the next hour, the three discussed numbers and possible shows he could sponsor. Betty and Scott gave him a tour of the station and allowed him into the studio to watch a live broadcast. Bedside Manor was just ending. Betty hoped that Jeff and Hilary would behave themselves. Scott leaned over and whispered in her ear. "Thank goodness Hilary appears to be in a good mood today." She smiled up at him and he smiled back. Her heart did a flip.

Back in Betty's office, Mr. Taylor grabbed his coat and started pulling it on. "Well, I've got to run, but I've enjoyed myself very much with both of you, Betty and Scott. You're a very effective and persuasive team. I'll think about everything we've discussed and get back to you." He got half way out the door and paused. He turned around with a huge grin. "I just had a splendid idea. I'd love to have my wife meet you." He winked at Betty. "She is a very astute judge of character. She's always telling me I'm too trusting. Anyway, she and I are going to the Pittsburgh Symphony fundraiser tonight at the Starlight Room and we'd love to have the both of you as our guests."

Betty and Scott both realized that meeting his wife could make or break the deal, so they readily agreed to a night on the town with Mr. and Mrs. Thaddeus Taylor. "Splendid! We'll pick you both up tonight around 7:00. I'll have my secretary call with the details." With that, Mr. Taylor blew out the door and down the hall. "Goodbye, Gertie girl!"

Gertie laughed. "Oh, Mr. Taylor."

Betty and Scott both felt spent - like a hurricane had just blown through. Betty thought about tonight and pictured her closet. She began to panic. "Oh, my goodness. I don't have anything fancy enough to wear to the Starlight Room."

"Betty, you'll look beautiful no matter what you wear." Betty was so distracted that the compliment didn't even register.

Maple walked by the open door. "Maple!"

Maple stopped and came in. "Yeah, Betty?"

Betty grabbed her arm and led her running down the hall. "Maple, you've got to help me. We're going shopping right now. You'll never guess where I'm going tonight."

After the excited voices and squeals died down in the hall, Scott wondered to himself how he was ever going to get through this night without giving away his feelings for Betty. It was getting harder and harder to be around her.

It wasn't until later at the Boutique that Betty remembered the compliment Scott had paid her. She was heartsick at the thought of missing such a nice moment with him but vowed with determination, "I'll make it up to him tonight."

She looked at herself in the mirror. The gown she and Maple had chosen was very sophisticated and too expensive. It fit her like a glove and made her feel beautiful. "Scott Sherwood, you're not going to know what hit you."

Continue reading "Betty's Journey of Discovery"

The Writer's Room | The Green Room