Lightning Strikes
by Rebecca Immich

Disclaimer: These characters belong to Rupert Holmes. I'm just borrowing them to try to resolve the unresolved. However, all original characters belong to me.

Author's Note: When I first started to write this story, it was meant to be a simple story that was my explanation of the events that occurred after "All Noisy on the Pittsburgh Front." However, the characters took over (especially Hilary!) and demanded a more in-depth explanation of their actions. Comments are always welcome, especially on this part because I haven't written that much about Hilary and Jeff.

- - - - -

Part One: A History Worth Repeating

The sky opened up and a large bolt of lightening sliced through the sky, striking WENN's transmitter. The station lights flickered slightly and then the entire station was enveloped in darkness. Lester was the first one to react, instinctively grabbing the flashlight that was located in the control room and finding his way to the transmitter room. After he entered the room, Lester looked around in disbelief. A thunderstorm in December? he asked himself. Oh well, stranger things have happened. "Though now I don't have to listen to Jeff and Hilary fight," he said, chuckling over the numerous disagreements that he had been a witness to. "I wonder who she is married to." Concentrating on the fuse box, he settled down to work.

- - - - -

Hilary stood in the darkness, a million thoughts running through her head. What was Jeff going to say? How was she going to explain this to him? What was she thinking, telling the entire radio audience at home that she was already married? Hilary slowly slid to the floor, saying a silent prayer of thanks for the consuming darkness. It made things a little easier - at least she couldn't see Jeff's wounded face any more.

"Hilary?" Jeff asked tentatively.

Hilary took a deep breath and counted to five before answering. "I'm down here, Jeff," she called out. In her mind, she could see the puzzled look on his face as he tried to determine where she was. Slowly Jeff descendedto the floor and reached out for her. His hand cautiously brushed against her face. "You found me," she said, trying to keep her tone light.

"Ah, yes, I have," he replied, sliding over next to her and reaching for her hand. "Now Hilary, I don't want to...to... Oh hell. I don't know how to put this eloquently. I know that I hurt you badly with the entire Pavla affair, but this is coming out of left field. What do you mean, you're already married?"

Jeff could feel Hilary's hand tremble slightly within his grip. Damn. That hadn't been the right way to go about things. "I didn't mean it that way..." he started to say when Hilary shushed him.

"There isn't a gentle way to put this," she said. "We've had more marriage problems than anyone deserves to go through in a lifetime."

"I know," Jeff agreed. He wrapped his arm around her shoulders. "I thought that since my divorce was going to be finalized soon that we would finally get off on the right foot, but now we have this to deal with. By the way, what is this?"

Hilary smiled at Jeff's attempt at casual humor. "Where should I start?"

"The beginning is usually the proper place," Jeff replied, resting his chin on her head.

Hilary leaned against his shoulders and took in a deep breath. "It all began when I was first starting out as an actress. I haven't always been Hilary Booth..."

- - - - -

The man scrutinized her, his blood-shot eyes taking in everything, from her unfashionable dress to the thick reddish hair. After running his hands through his dark brown hair, he announced suddenly, "Booth."

A much younger Hilary asked, "Booth what?"

"That, my dear, shall be your name," he said in velvet tones.

"But I already have a name," she protested. "Hillary Mae Winslow."

"No," he said firmly, looking at her face intently. "That is not the name for you. You shall be Hilary - with one L, of course - Winslow - so that you retain part of your old self - Booth. With your natural acting skills and the apparent heritage that the Booth name will bring, you shall become the toast of Broadway."

"Really? Me, the toast of Broadway?" she squealed.

"Well, after you get rid of those teenage mannerisms of yours, it will become possible. You shall be Juliet to my Romeo, Cleopatra to my Marc Antony, and so on. We'll be a famous duo."

"But Mr. Smythe..."

"Please, Hilary, call me Alec. Whenever I hear Mr. Smythe I think of my father and I don't want to think of my father right now," he said, smiling.

"Alec," Hilary said tentatively, "the only Booth that I know is John Wilkes Booth. Didn't he kill Lincoln?"

"My dear, what kind of an education have you had?" Alec asked. "John Wilkes Booth was the black sheep of the Booth family. Haven't you ever heard of Edwin Booth? He was John's brother and a very famous actor."

Hilary frowned. "Well, I didn't learn theater history at school!" she announced. "I finished eighth grade - quite an
accomplishment for a girl."

Alec shook his head. "Well, that level of education might be commendable in - where were you from again?"

"Maine."

"Oh, so that's why you have that beautiful accent. That will help with everything else."

Hilary looked confused. "What else do I have to do? I thought you were just going to help me get a part in the chorus of that new musical?"

Alec frowned. "Hmmm. Where exactly did I meet you?"

"You were at a party to celebrate the opening of a new show and I was part of the entertainment. A dancing girl, remember?"

"Well," Alec said, smiling as he remembered the number of champagne glasses that he had drank, "that part isn't exactly clear to me, but I'm glad I did. You, my dear, could never be a chorus girl. You," he announced loudly, "were born for better things. And I shall help you attain them. First of all, we have to teach you French. Or maybe Spanish. That will help you with your diction. And for acting, I shall take you to my acting coach. Together, we'll conquer Broadway!"

- - - - -

"Okay, Hilary, I get it," Jeff interrupted. "You married Alec Smythe or whoever he is."

"Jeff, you're ruining my story," Hilary said indignantly after poking him sharply with her elbow.

"Ouch!" he bellowed.

"It didn't hurt that much," Hilary said. "You're the one who told me to start at the beginning."

"I thought you would start at the beginning of the important stuff. Like how come you are still married to this cretin. And it did too hurt!" Jeff sighed loudly. "Okay, no more interruptions. But could you speed things up a little bit? Who knows when we are going to be back on the air and I don't think you want this story going over the airwaves."

"I guess you're right. Well, Alec Smythe was the first man that I met after I left Maine for New York. He was a wonderful actor who recognized my natural acting ability right away..."

"I'm sure he noticed a few other things too," Jeff mumbled cynically.

"...and brought me to Giles Aldwych to learn. While I was being taught by Giles, Alec appeared in a few Off-Broadway productions. He was making a pretty steady income for an actor and because I was still polishing my skills, we decided to get married. After I finished at the Academy, Alec and I stared in 'Romeo and Juliet' in an Off-Broadway production. I got great reviews but Alec wasn't even noticed by the critics. Our marriage was still a secret back then - we pretended to only be seeing each other - but when I finally got cast in 'The Rivals' things went downhill. The success that we were suppose to have as a couple had never materialized and he was extremely jealous. Alec was drinking pretty heavily and one night he didn't come home."

Jeff could feel Hilary's involuntary shivers throughout his body. Thank god it was still dark in here, he thought. Hilary would never have told him this story with everyone watching them. He reached up and stroked her hair. "It's going to be okay, darling. What happened to Alec?"

"Alec was in a terrible accident," she said quietly, clutching his hand tightly. "It affected his mind. He hasn't been the same since. He didn't remember me or anything else. Alec lives at an institute in New York. His parents have been taking care of him since I left a year after the accident."

"Why did you leave him?" Jeff asked.

"At first I thought it was only going to be a temporary condition. That he would suddenly recognize me one day and everything would be fine again. But I finally realized that Alec was never going to know who I was ever again. 'The Rivals' was starting a national tour that spring and I decided to go with it. Alec's parents understood what I was going through so they encouraged me."

"If his parents understood your reasoning for leaving," Jeff asked, sounding puzzled, "then why haven't you divorced him?"

"I don't know," Hilary said. "Maybe because I hadn't wanted to give up that piece of my life yet. Maybe because I thought our relationship wasn't permanent. Why else would I want to get married in Mexico twice? I was starting the procedures when I found out about you and Pavla. And that hurt so much that I needed to have something to hurt you as much back."

"Or is it because you still love him?" Jeff asked quietly.

Hilary laughed harshly, a laugh that was filled with built up anger. "Heaven forbid. The Great Alec Smythe didn't love anyone. I was merely an actress with talent to him, a ticket to the Great White Way. He realized from the moment that I met him that I could take him there. Alec wasn't afraid to tell me that either. He was a bitter drunk and he would always tell me all about the plans that had failed because of me."

"Then why are you clinging to him?"

"Because I love you," Hilary said gently, the anger fading out of her voice. "I was afraid that I was going to end up like Alec - bitter because my success was not what I wanted and because yours will overshadow mine."

"Hilary, how can my success overshadow yours? I'm more famous for being your husband than anything else. Unless you are returning to Broadway, I am planning to stay in Pittsburgh at WENN. And," he added, turning to face her, "I would like nothing else than to marry you. After, of course, we get these other marriages settled."

"Oh Jeffery!" Hilary exclaimed. "I can't believe that you are taking this in stride."

"It's the least I can do for putting you through everything with Pavla. I am not taking this in stride, I'll have you know. I'm desperately jealous of this Alec Smythe for having known you when you were Hillary Mae Winslow."

"You wouldn't have recognized me, Jeff," Hilary declared, laughing at her old self. "No, you would not have known me at all."

"Hilary, I would know you anywhere."

With that final decisive statement, the couple embraced passionately in the darkness of Studio A.

- - - - -

Part 2: Triad

Just as the lightning took out the power, Betty stared incredulously at Victor and Scott. She knew that a decision was inevitable, but right now? How could she decide between them? Victor first introduced her to radio. His passion for important causes was his most enduring trait although at times also the most annoying. Then there was Scott. He was the most exasperating man on the face of the earth, with all those schemes that always had to be cleaned up after. His persistence at what seemed to be a lost cause was so enduring though. She never considered herself beautiful, but the way these two argued over her, sometimes it felt that way.

Blackness filled the room. Betty blinked, making sure that she hadn't been seeing things, and decided to take a seat in the chair at the desk.

"Betty?" Victor said, his mellifluous voice filling up the room.

"This isn't normal," Scott said. "Thunderstorms don't happen in December."

"Especially December in Pittsburgh," Victor added in agreement. "It must be a freak storm. Lester should have things taken care of shortly though. Well, Betty, have you made up your mind yet?"

"No."

"Well," Scott said, "we're ready whenever you are."

"I don't think I'm ever going to be ready," Betty replied firmly. "This is so childish, making me decide between the two of you. I care for both of you and I don't want to hurt any one's feelings. I don't want you two arguing over me."

"Betty," Scott said, "we have been waiting patiently for you to make up your mind for...oh, would you look at the time? I have get going - unless my orders are miraculously changed in the next four minutes."

Victor nodded in agreement. "We've given you enough time to make up your mind. Deep down inside, you must know what you really want."

Betty frowned. "No. I am not going to be forced into making a decision before I'm ready. And I am definitely not ready now. This decision will not only affect me, but whom ever I don't pick to stay here could possibly die."

"C'mon, Betty," Scott whined. He was becoming impatient, something that he learned not to do around her. But, he reassured himself, it had been too long for her to waver between the two of us. Even Betty has to make up her mind sometime.

Betty folded her arms across her chest and tried to look defiant, although it was a futile effort in the dark room. "I'm not in charge of where you two are going. I'm only a writer at this station and I refuse to be involved with your military work."

"All right then," Victor said. "Scott, I guess you should be getting to your military transport. I'll be staying at WENN and no one will be going to London."

"Sounds good to me," Scott said. "What do you think, Betty?"

Betty rolled her eyes. Sometimes even Scott needed to learn when to quit.

"I'm not getting involved. Victor, I'd like to say good-bye to Scott in private."

"Um, Betty," Victor said, "I can't really go anywhere in the dark."

"Sure you can," Betty said. "Just go out the door and wait out in the hallway."

"Well, all right." Victor groped around the room and found the door. "I'm out in the hallway now," he called out.

"Now close door, please," Betty said. Victor complied and she reached out until she bumped into Scott. "There you are."

"Well, I guess it's good-bye now."

"Yes. Do you remember those honesty points from the last time that you left WENN?" Betty blushed, thankful for the consuming darkness. She couldn't believe that she was going to do this, but then again, it was Scott's last few minutes at WENN. "Well, they've added up over the past year...and you can get what you wanted."

"And what is that, Betty?" Scott asked. He knew what she was alluding to, but he wanted to hear it from her.

Betty blushed an even deeper shade of pink. "A good-bye kiss."

"Okay," Scott said, smiling. "If it's what you want."

He leaned over and, after finding Betty in the darkness, he kissed her ardently. After breaking apart the embrace, Scott whispered, "Good-bye, Betty Roberts."

"Good-bye, Scott Sherwood," she whispered back.

Scott released her and found his way out the door. He opened it and left, shutting the door gently behind him. He bumped into Victor in the hallway. "Victor," Scott said.

"Yes?"

"Take care of Betty while I'm gone, would you?"

"Of course. Good luck, Sherwood."

Suddenly there was a great hum and the lights flickered and came back to life. Scott blinked a few times and looked around at the station that had been his home for the brief time he was in Pittsburgh. "Good-bye, WENN," he said quietly as he opened the station door for the last time.

- - - - -

Part 3: And They Lived Happily Ever After...

As the lights in the station slowly flickered to life, a blushing couple emerged from the writer's room. Eugenia had a happy grin on her face as she scurried down the hall to the ladies room. Mr. Foley turned and sauntered back to Studio A.

Mackie, who had been in the green room with Maple during the blackout, was making his way to studio A when he noticed Mr. Foley's aura of self-confidence. "Something's different with you," he said.

Mr. Foley opened his mouth to tell his news, but Mackie stopped him, saying, "No - let me guess. Hmmmm..." Mackie walked around Mr. Foley, scratching his chin. "Nothing physical has changed, but you look like a new man."

Mr. Foley smiled and cocked an eyebrow.

Inspiration struck Mackie. "I know! Betty's given up on Victor and Scott and is going to date you!"

Mr. Foley's smile melted into a frown and he shook his head vehemently.

"No...well, you haven't seemed too interested in Betty lately. Something with Eugenia?"

Mr. Foley began to grin again.

Mackie's eyes widened. "Mr. Foley!" he crowed. "Are you two engaged?" Mr. Foley nodded emphatically. Mackie slapped him on the back as they entered Studio A. "Well, this deserves a celebration! O'Malleys tonight - my treat! Oh, and you've got some, ah, lipstick on your cheek." Mr. Foley blushed as he tried to rub it off.

- - - - -

Meanwhile, Eugenia fussed over herself in the ladies room. The toilet flushed and Maple emerged from one of the stalls. "Hiya Eugenia," she said while washing her hands. "You look a little pink. Are you feeling okay?"

Eugenia flushed an even deeper shade of pink and, much to Maple's dismay, burst into tears.

"Oh, Eugenia," Maple said, patting her on the shoulder, "what's the matter?"

"Maple," Eugenia said, "I'm so happy!"

Maple looked confused. "Then why are you crying?"

"Because I'm so happy!" Eugenia smiled and her tears slowly subsided. "Mr. Foley and I are engaged!"

- - - - -

Victor poked his head into the office where Betty was sitting in a daze. "Did you just hear that?"

Betty shook her head, trying to clear the muddle it had become. "What, Victor?"

"That scream. I believe it came from the ladies room. Perhaps you could check it out?"

"Okay." Betty got up and walked into the ladies room. Gertie had already decided to investigate and was in the middle of giving Eugenia a hug. "What's going on in here?" Betty asked. "And who screamed?"

"That was me, Betty," Maple explained. "I was just so excited."

"About what?"

Eugenia smiled her brightest smile and announced proudly, "Mr. Foley and I are engaged!"

"Oh, Eugenia," Betty exclaimed. "That's wonderful!" Betty rushed over and gave Eugenia a congratulatory hug.

Knock-knock. Victor poked his head through the doorway, shielding his eyes with his eyes with one hand. "Um, ladies, would you mind keeping it down? Your screaming can be heard all the way down the hall."

"Oh, Vic," Maple scoffed, "you can uncover your eyes. We're all decent."

Victor removed his hand, and, after examining the ladies for any signs of injury, asked, "What is all the fuss about?"

"Mr. Foley and I are engaged!" Eugenia announced again.

"Oh, well, that does deserve a fuss. May I be one of the first to congratulate you?" Victor thrust his hand out at Eugenia. She placed her hand into his and gave him a hearty handshake.

"Thank you Victor. We haven't decided on a date yet, but when we finally do, could both of us possibly have a week of vacation for our..." Eugenia blushed at this, "...honeymoon?"

"Of course," Victor said. "Consider it a wedding present from WENN Enterprises. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have work to do." Victor left the ladies room to go congratulate Mr. Foley on his upcoming nuptials and to find out how soon WENN would be back on the air. He pushed open the studio door and ran into Jeff. "Hello, Jeff," Victor said. "Where's the fire?"

Jeff frowned. "What fire?"

"I meant, where are you going in such a rush? We're going to back on the air in..."

"Two minutes," Lester said as he strolled back into the control room. "And who's Hilary married to?"

"Hilary's married?" Victor exclaimed.

"Yes, I am," Hilary said pointedly. "But I don't see how that is anyone's business but my own...and Jeffrey's, of course."

"Of course," Victor added quickly. "Just don't let it interfere with WENN. But for the real reason I came in here -
congratulations, Mr. Foley, on your engagement to Eugenia!" Victor walked across the room to shake his room.

Mackie elbowed Victor. "Can you believe it - he's finally speechless! And to celebrate this momentous occasion," Mackie announced, "I am taking everyone to O'Malley's tonight - my treat!" "I guess we'll have to go," Hilary said to Jeff, "for this is another momentous occasion. Mackie Bloom is offering to pay!"

Lester gestured from the control booth. "Thirty seconds," Victor said. Eugenia and Maple entered studio A with mere seconds to spare as WENN got back on the air.

The End

Green Room | Fanfiction