And Take My Love Away
by Natasha Luepke

Disclaimer: None of these characters are mine; they belong to Rupert Holmes. My writing skills are nowhere as good as his; don't expect any invigorating wordplay.

Dedicated to Nat and my dad. I only watch this show 'cause of Dad!

Rating: G

Summary: Set just after "All's Noisy on the Pittsburgh Front." My personal opinion of how it should end.

Standing safely behind my desk, I stared at the two men in front of me. Their challenge made it seem that *I* was to decide their fates. I suppose my decisions always had. Tears welled in my eyes.

"Betty!" said Scott, coming to my side. As he tried to put his arms around me, I merely tensed up; I was afraid my fingers would leave impressions in the desk from where they gripped the edge.

"Scott," I said, "You said you have eight minutes. Go. Go call whomever you have to. Take the job in London."

"Betty..." said Scott, for once shocked by something *I* had done. "Betty, are you sure?"

"Yes. Go take that good job. Go leave. And then Victor can leave for Washington." I watched a tear hit the desk, smudging a script. I looked up at Scott, his face only showing concern...for me. He nodded and left.

Now I still had Victor to deal with.

After Scott had shut the door, Victor spoke.

"Betty, you're sure? This is what you want?"

"No, Victor--how can it be? The two men--people--I love--care about--one is leaving for London and the other leaving me for Washington again?" I looked Victor straight in the eye. It was now Victor who came to me behind the desk.

"Betty," he said, leaning close to me. "Come out and say it--what *do* you want? Betty--do you love me?"

"Victor, I *do* love you. But...I...not the way I once did," I looked up at him. "Something will always come up, be more important than me. And I can't do it anymore. I'm sorry." I heard the door open once more. "I listened with baited breath to each Jonathon Arnold broadcast...But...I think if there was ever a time for there to be something more between us, that time is past." I looked away, tears still in my eyes, to see Scott had returned.

"Betty, I love you," Victor said softly.

"Scott?" I said, just as soft.

"It's all in place, Betty. I leave for London at the end of the week and Victor is free to go to Washington."

"Please--I need to go," I said, quickly dodging both men going out the door. I was oblivious to everything--Jeff shouting at Hilary about her marriage, Mr. Foley's silence.

I settled down on the couch in the Green Room, praying no one would enter. I reached for the mirror Hilary was sure to have left on the table. My face looked a mess--nose red, eyes puffy.

The door opened--I did not want to relinquish my momentary peace. It was Victor.

"Betty, I need to leave," he said. I stood up and crossed to him, hugged him. "I'm sorry, Victor," I whispered. He hugged me back and left. I stood in the doorway and watched him go. The front door closing seemed to trigger a release in me. Now I could move on.

Like a ghost, Scott followed Victor's track, still in uniform, hat in hand. As he came up beside me, I started to cry, sobs that shook my body. Without thinking, I leaned against Scott. He was surprised--I'd never acted quite this way in front of him before. He didn't know what to do with his arms, finally settling on just putting them around me, stroking my back.

I had been seeing Victor for a couple of months. When he'd held me, it'd been...nice. But leaning against Scott, head resting on his shoulder, I felt something new. Scott felt so strong, so solid. I was sending him away, but I knew he'd always be here, I'd never be second.

After I stopped sobbing, I began babbling.

"Scott, I'm sorry, I don't want you to go, what if something happens, London isn't safe...."

"Betty?" Scott whispered in my ear. "Your one regret when you thought Victor was dead was that your feelings weren't out in the open, right?"

I nodded, not sure what he was saying.

He bent down and kissed me. He had kissed me once before, after I had discovered his true identity. That had been a kiss of true passion and, I must admit, better than any of Victor's. That kiss had nothing on this one.

"Scott," I said softly, still in the doorway of the Green Room, still in his arms.

"Yeah?" he replied, voice husky.

"You're a con man, an embezzler, and a liar--and these are your finer qualities. I'm not sure if you'll be safe in London or if London should gear up for *you*."

He released me and took a step back, hands still on my shoulders.

"Betty, I do believe the question *is* will London be safe from me?" This produced a bit of a smile from me.

"Now," he said, simultaneously turning me around, putting his arm across my shoulders, and leading me back to the couch. "Victor's gone. We have a week. Where to start, Betty? Dinner, a movie, or should we just go ahead and get one of those quickie, semi-legal marriages Jeff and Hilary are so fond of?"

I made no reply. I was exhausted from the day's events. I leaned my head against Scott's shoulder and fell asleep.

I must have been asleep for several hours. When I awoke, most of the lights were off. My head still rested on Scott's shoulder, his arm across my shoulders. His own head rested atop mine.

"Scott," I said. "It's late. We have to go home."

Slowly he stirred. "Mmm, Bettybettybetty," he murmured.

We got up and made it downstairs to the trolley. We didn't speak during the trip. Soon we were standing in front of my building.

"Scott, I love you," I said quickly. I gave him a kiss on the cheek and ran inside.

We spent the week in each other's company, going to dinner and movies.

I saw Scott off on his to Washington; he'd leave from there for London. I wore no ring, but we both awaited the day he would return.

"Scott, don't do anything foolish," I said.

"Me, Betty Roberts? I'll get to a safe place should there be an air raid, I have plenty of money, and as for another girl...Betty, you're the only one for me. It's funny...I fell in love with in a London pub."

Then he bent down and kissed me again. the kisses got better every time.

And then he was gone.

I thought of something--a fragment of Shakespeare: "Ruin has taught me that time will come and take my love away." Tears welled in my eyes as i thought of a line from A Midsummer Night's Dream: "Not shall go ill; all will be well."

I watched her waving; watched from the train that would take me to Washington, where I would leave for London. She was trying not to cry. Once I was no longer able to see her, I began to cry myself.

In a London pub, a man named Victor Comstock told me of a girl he'd left in Pittsburgh, who was sweet, pretty, and real smart besides. I can't even say why exactly I went--I wondered if this Betty Roberts was as great as Victor said. I never intended to fall in love with her. And once I knew how I felt, I never guessed she'd fall in love with a scoundrel like me.

And now I can't remember a time when I didn't love her.

I can remember fear when she put her life on the line for my worthless one; rage when I thought Victor had shot her; jealousy when I saw her and Victor together. But never a time with out love.

I do leave her with a final deception. I called her bluff when I'd said I'd enlisted. I'm 4-F like Jeff. But I would have left if she'd said to, gone far away and gotten myself killed. I am still leaving because she said to, because she wanted to save both me and Victor. I suppose I should worry about Victor, but I think no matter how much he loves Betty, he will love America more.

I do not know when the war will end, but I love her and I know she loves me. And that is enough.

END

"I won't fear love & I feel a rage I won't deny it. I won't fear love. Peace in the struggle to find peace. Comfort on the way to comfort." --Sarah McLachlan, "Fumbling Towards Ecstasy"

The Writer's Room | The Green Room