Betty's Choice
by Natasha Luepke

Disclaimer: Not mine. Never will be. Hopefully, you know the drill.

Author's Note: My third story concerning the resolution to "All's Noisy on the Pittsburgh Front." Dedicated, as usual, to my dad and Nat.

So. Now I would have to make my choice. I had brought this on myself. I think some part deep inside of me wanted to stop languishing in this limbo. Another part of me said, "What's wrong with you? You'll only break someone's heart. And possibly your own. It's their decision, not yours." But it stopped being their choice long ago.

"Scott," I said, "I want you to stay. Stay and Victor can go to Washington whenever he wants to."

Scott stared at me. "You're sure this is what you want?"

"Yes."

"Done." And he left the room.

"Well," said Victor. "I hope you two are happy together." And he, too, turned to leave.

"Wait," I said, trying not to cry. "Victor, please, this is hard for me, too. I *did* love you. Part of me always will. But..."

He shrugged. "Well, I can't say I think the better man won..."

I gave him a half smile.

"May I have a kiss good-bye?"

I had a sudden flash of deja vu. Scott had said that after I'd figured out his secret. That unwanted kiss then had been filled with more passion than any of Victor's ever had been.

"Of course" was all I could say. I kissed him on the cheek and walked him out. After he left, I turned to the switchboard where a disgruntled Gertie watched Scott speaking into the phone. I heard a thud from the studio and went to investigate. Hilary was standing over a fainted Jeff.

"Hilary! What's going on?" I asked. "You should be on in about 15 seconds!"

"Well, Jeff had proposed to me and I accepted. But then I remembered I'm already married. Before I could explain, he fainted."

"Jeez, Hilary, what number is this?" asked Maple, who'd come in at the end of the story.

Hilary, meanwhile, was trying to revive Jeff.

"Pumpkin?"

"Oh, and Betty, what have you done to Scotty? I haven't seen him this happy since...well, never," said Maple.

Before I could answer, Jeff came to.

"Married?" he said.

"Well, it was late and I was angry...and maybe a tad intoxicated. we haven't really discussed it."

"Well, who is he?" Maple asked.

"Ah, Victor."

"Victor?" I repeated, although I didn't feel jealous.

Then, Eugenia burst in.

"Guess what, everyone! Mister Foley and I are getting married!"

Maple started laughing.

"Congratulations. Now, we need to get on the air. This can be worked out later," I said.

I walked into the Green Room, where Mr. Eldridge was making coffee. I gratefully accepted a cup

and mulled over the days events at the table. Mr. Eldridge switched on the radio and I was glad everyone was on-air and that I could have some peace.

I was in love with Scott and Scott was in love with me. Okay. Mister Foley and Eugenia were getting married. Very okay. Victor had left for Washington. Complicated. Jeff was now divorced and wanted to marry Hilary. Again. Hilary wanted to marry Jeff but was married to Victor. Very complicated.

"So, Betty, what have I missed?" asked a confused looking Scott, followed by an arguing Jeff and Hilary and an amused Maple.

"Jeff and Hilary, calm down for a minute," ordered Maple. "I want you to say how happy you are for Betty and Scott -- Way to go, Scotty! -- and for Eugenia and Mister Foley, and then I want Hilary to explain what's going on."

Jeff and Hilary complied and Hilary explained: "Well, it was late...Victor asked me for a drink...well, one thing led to another...Victor was already upset about you, Betty; he had an idea of where your affections laid, er, were...I knew an all night place...Well, we're getting divorced now."

"So, shall I bring my things over tonight?" asked Jeff.

"Of course, Pumpkin." They embraced and we applauded.

"I love a happy ending," said Maple.

"I know I do," said Scott. He pulled me over and kissed me.

"Scott!" I exclaimed.

Victor returned a week later. A bit embarrassing really; he walked in on Scott and I in a...rather compromising position. I would have been embarrassed anyway, but the fact that it was Victor...

"Um, Betty, is Hilary here? The government sped up the divorce proceedings so that I can go to London. I need to leave again in a few minutes."

"Ah, Scott, why don't you tell Hilary Victor's news," I said, begging him to go with my eyes.

"Of course. Victor, good to see you again." Then he left.

"So, Victor...you're leaving again." It wasn't a question, but a statement.

"Yes. I didn't want to go to London, but now there's nothing keeping me here," he said sadly. "You and Scott can share managerial duties. You two are good together."

"Victor, I don't know what to say. London? Remember this: you were the first man I ever loved, and the first to break my heart. Please, be careful."

"Thank you, Betty," was all he said.

Scott returned with Hilary and Victor left me again. Once the door closed and Scott and I were alone, I sighed, looked down at my desk, and willed myself not to cry.

"Aw, c'mon, Betty," said Scott, as he came to my side and rested a hand on my shoulder. "We'll be late for our lunch date at the Buttery."

"Of course, what was I thinking?" I said.

As we walked out, Scott's arm securely around my shoulder, he said, "Now, Betty, I'll make you a deal: if you marry me now, we'll name our first son Victor. If we get married later, we'll name our first son Scott, Jr., and our second son Victor."

"Y'know, Scott, I never pegged you as the marrying type," I replied.

"A couple of years ago, I would have agreed with you." By now, we were at the Buttery.

I finally realized what he was saying: not only did he want to marry me, he wanted to have children, too!

"I'll marry you as soon as you stop scamming people," I said.

"Bettybettybetty--the things you put a guy through!" He looked as if he genuinely believed me.

"My parents would never approve," I went on, teasing him.

"Well, we could go to Mexico," he said, winking.

"Let's just wait for things to settle down, okay? I'm not even sure I'm used to the idea of *dating* you yet."

He looked momentarily hurt, then went on: "Well, I have an idea: what if we get Eugenia and Mister and Jeff and Hilary to do a double wedding on the air? Think of all the sponsors..."

I smiled as I sipped my coffee.

My mother gave me some excellent advice once, in between trying to teach me how to bake: No matter how much things change, they stay the same. I decided to do something impulsive; I hadn't felt so good in so long. I leaned across the table and kissed Scott, stopping him in midsentence.

"Wha-what was that for?" he asked, totally surprised.

"Just because. Now...do you really think the sponsors would go along with this, let alone Mister,

Eugenia, Jeff, and especially Hilary?"

"We could make it a triple wedding?"

"What did I say about scamming people?"

"You'll become an old maid then..."

The End

"Your love is better than ice cream. better than anything else that I've tried..." Sarah McLachlan, "Ice Cream"

The Writer's Room | The Green Room