Farma Way

Farma Way

I have just been saddened to learn of Farma Way's untimely death. While he never acheived the ranks of greatness, this fine horse has always held a special place in my heart. Lightly raced at two and three, Farma Way proved himself to be a top class horse as a four year old, winning five graded stakes races and earning well over two million dollars.

In winning the 1991 Santa Anita Handicap he defeated a field which included Festin, future Eclipse Award winner Pleasant Tap, and In Excess. He won the San Antonio Handicap, the San Pasqual Handicap, and the San Carlos Handicap, all grade II events. He was only beaten a neck in the Hollywood Gold Cup, running second to Marquetry with turf champion Itsallgreektome third.

It was in the Pimlico Special, however, that Farma Way earned his rank as one of my favorites. I was enjoying an unscheduled road trip, and found myself about six hours from home with an empty gas tank and no wallet. I was a student at the time, and, as my parents were out of town, there wasn't anyone I could call for a rescue. So, full of teenage wisdom, I took my last two dollars, all in change, to the nearest simulcast location.

I had great faith in the dark bay son of Marfa that day. His west coast campaign had been brilliant, and all he had to do at Pimlico was beat a field that included two classic winners, Summer Squall and Unbridled, as well as the highly regarded Jolie's Halo, who had wintered in Florida, winning the Donn and Gulfstream Park Handicaps.

Farma Way rewarded me for my support, soundly beating Summer Squall and setting a new track record of 1:52 2/5 for a mile and three sixteenths. The time equalled the American record. It was a performance I will never forget. Now with gas money, if not a wallet, I returned home.

When he retired, Farma Way had earned $2,897,175, not including my gas money, and had six stakes wins to his credit. He also ran second to Horse of the Year Black Tie Affair in the Philip H. Iselin Handicap, beaten only a neck, and finished second behind In Excess in the Woodward Stakes. While it was Black Tie Affair who carried home the Horse of the Year trophy that year, Farma Way had certainly proven himself to be one of the top older horses in the country that year.

Farma Way's Race Record
AgeStartsWonSecondThirdEarnings
23110$192,650
39210$106,175
411531$2,598,350
Totals23851$2,897,175

Farma Way, 1987 dkb/br colt
MarfaFoolish PleasureWhat a PleasureBold Ruler by Nasrullah
Grey Flight by Mahmoud
Fool-Me-NotTom Fool by Menow
Cuadrilla by Tourbillon
Gray MatterStratmatLochinvar by Case Ace
Elsewhere by Alibhai
SongcraftEndeavour II by British Empire
Singing Witch by Royal Minstrel
Fine TributeDiplomat Way NashuaNasrullah by Nearco
Segula by Johnstown
JandyPrincequillo by Prince Rose
Centenary by Ksar
Royal SpiritRoyal Gem IIDhoti by Dastur
French Gem by Beau Fils
En CasseroleWar Relic by Man o' War
Beanie M. by Black Toney

To visit another portion of the Unofficial Thoroughbred Hall of Fame, select below:

shop

Recommended titles include: Champions from the Daily Racing Form, Thoroughbred Champions: Top 100 of the 20th Century from Blood-Horse, and Man O' War: Thoroughbred Legends #1 by Edward L. Bowen, as well as Seabiscuit on DVD .
Seabiscuit DVD
Back

Unofficial Thoroughbred Hall of Fame