Behold The Mystery     |   home
BOOK OF SHADOWS   |   The Book of the Law   |   Writing Spells And Rituals   |    Rules and Sample Chants and Spells   |   Mirrors   |   Celtic gods and goddesses   |   Daily Devotions   |   HANDFASTING   |   Tuatha de Dannan   |   What Witches Shouldn't Do with Magick   |    Web Rings   |   Demons   |   DRAGONS   |   The Good Witch Of The North
Daily Devotions

There are two schools of thought on Daily Devotions (prayers) - one states that this is 'time out' every day to spend with Spirit and to nurture your Higher Self; the second states that this is time spent with the God and Goddess.  It is up to your own personal belief-system as to what you believe and feel you are doing - the main thing is that you actually do them!  This is the spiritual side of Wicca which can so easily be forgotten in all the excitement over the latest spell/tool to come to you.  But, ironically, this is actually what Wicca is all about - it is, after all, a religion .... and therefore we have the prayers.

There is no need to cast a circle in order to do your Devotions - these are just between you and the Goddess/Spirit.

Some people advocate taking 5-10 minutes twice a day in which to do your devotions; and others have set times of day - upon rising, before meals, at sunset and before sleep.  Again, this is your own personal choice.  You can either perform a set ritual or prayer before your altar, or you can take a walk outside and 'bond' with the elements - the choice is yours (so many choices!).

I do my Daily Devotions on a morning, before meals, in the evening and before sleep.  Below, I have detailed how I perform mine, together with a number of alternatives.  Another alternative to each of these blessings also exists - you can just talk (either to the Goddess or to the Spirit, whichever is your belief).  Explain worries, wishes, hopes, dreams and thanks.  Devotions should provide a feeling of calmness, nourishment and spiritual fulfilment throughout your day (if not, re-evaluate what you are doing, as something is going wrong somewhere).   

The main point to keep in mind when performing your Devotions (or indeed, any spell or ritual) is to say the words slowly and clearly, think about what you are saying, how the words effect you, feel the meaning of the words wash over you - most important, DON'T RUSH, take your time.

Morning Blessing  

This devotional prayer originally contained Goddess names.  However, I have not (yet!) decided to apply myself to any particular deity figures, and I therefore adapted it to suit my needs.  Of course, you can also do the same by inserting your own Goddess aspects where required.

Light a white candle on your altar and sit before it.  Relax, ground and centre.  
Think about what you are saying, as you recite the following:

I call upon you, Sisters Three,

You who sit beneath Life's Tree,

Bless and watch over me this day.

These things of you I ask, and pray.

Mighty Maiden, You who spin,

The thread and yarn of life on whim,

Grant my thread be soft, yet strong,

And the essence of my own life's song.

Mighty Mother, You who weave,

And measure the cloth of Life with ease,

Weave my life beautifully,

With colour and texture for all to see.

Mighty Crone, You who slice,

Life's fabric and thread with a snip precise,

Grant me now another day,

To return to thank you - this I pray.

Mighty Ones, oh Sisters Three,

You Who sit beneath the Tree,

For each day I awaken to,

Accept the thanks I offer you!

Morning Blessing

Once again, this is performed before the altar, with a white candle.  As always, think and consider on what you are saying - don't just recite the words and then take off for breakfast.

Gracious Creator/rix, Who lives within Me,

Help me to understand Your ways.

Guide my feet as they trod Your path,

And keep me safely out of harm's way.

Teach me to trust myself, my inner child, and my instincts,

For I am a product of Your Creative Force;

And by my very existence,

Form an important part of your Universal Plan.

Make my life not a test,

But instead - a joy.

And speak to me through my intuitive nature,

So that I cease to see my whims and fancies

As mere frivolity.

Let me view them, instead,

As what they are -

An important part of who I am

In Your World.

So mote it be.

Morning Blessing   

Blessed are my feet which walk the path of the Lord and Lady.

Blessed be my knees that kneel at the sacred altar.

Blessed be my heart that beats the drum of compassion.

Blessed be my lips that they may speak the truth.

Blessed be my eyes, so that they may see the wisdom of Spirit,

May the love of the Lord and Lady be within and around me

As I begin my journey through life this day.

So mote it be!

Goddess Alphabet Poem  

Would work great as a blessing chant for anytime of day!
 A lthough things are not perfect,
 B ecause of trial or pain,
 C ontinue in thanksgiving.
 D o not begin to blame
 E ven when the times are hard.
 F ierce winds are bound to blow.
 G od/dess are forever able.
 H old onto what you know.
 I magine life without Their love.
 J oy would cease to be.
 K eep thanking Them for all the things
 L ove imparts to thee.
 M ove out of Camp Complaining because
 N o weapon that is known
 O n earth can yield the power
 P raise can do alone.
 Q uit looking at the future.
 R edeem the time at hand.
 S tart every day with worship
 T o "thank" is a command.
 U ntil we see them coming,moon and sun
 V ictorious in the sky
 W e'll run the race with gratitude
 X alting God/dess most high.
 Y es, there will be good times and, yes, some will be bad, but...
 Z eus,and all Gods and Goddesses in Summerland wait in glory...
where none are ever sad!

Mealtime Blessing

Oh Mother Earth, we thank You so,

For the food and beverage You bestow,

For Your protection and Your love,

And everything You do for us.

We offer You thanks, love and mirth,

As we eat Your bounty, Mother Earth.

Mealtime Blessing 2

From the East the sun rays shine,

From the South the gentle rain,

From the West blow winds divine,

From the North the gifts of gain.

We gather now to bless this food,

In perfect peace and love,

Lord and Lady touch this meal,

With magick from above

Devotion of the Altar

This is the devotion that I use on an evening.  It can also be used before a spell or ritual.  You will need salt placed at compass North, incense placed at compass East, a candle (preferably red) placed at compass South, and water placed at compass West.  Place illuminator candles (candles to illuminate the workspace) at the top right (for the God - yellow, gold or white) and top left (for the Goddess - white)  If you possess one, also have your athame on hand (and don't forget the lighter!)

With all your supplies on the altar, take a few moments to relax and consider the task at hand.  Shut out offending noises; become the center of your focus.  Music helps to enhance the mood.

Breathe deeply; ground and center.  Raise you hands before you, above your head (the Goddess position).  Slowly pull them down and in at eye level and envision touching Divinity.  Draw them slowly down and in toward your heart chakra, then cross your writs on your chest (the God position).  You are now ready to begin.

Light the illuminator candles, envisioning the light of Divinity shining upon yourself, the altar, and the work that is to be performed.

Begin at the East.  Light the incense; clap your hands sharply over the flame to extinguish it.  Hold your hand over the incense and say:

Creature of Air

I cleanse and consecrate thee by the Ancient Energies of the East.

I remove all negativity in this world and in the world of phantasm.

Blessings of the Ancient Ones be on you now.

So mote it be.

Pass your hand over the incense three times (some Witches prefer to do a banishing pentagram) to banish, then imagine a sparkling light around the incense.

Set the candle down in the South, then say:

Creature of Fire

I cleanse and consecrate thee by the Ancient Energies of the South.

Blessings of the Ancient Ones be on you now.

So mote it be.

Pass your hand over the flame three times (or do the banishing pentagram) to banish, then hold your hand steady to bless, imagining a sparkling light surrounding the candle.

At the West is water.  Say:

Creature of Water

I cleanse and consecrate thee by the Ancient Energies of the West.

I cast out all negativity in this world and in the world of phantasm.

Blessings of the Ancient Ones on you now.

So mote it be.

Pass your hand over the water three times (or do the banishing pentagram) to banish, then hold your hand steady to bless, imagining a sparkling light surrounding and infusing the water.

At the North is salt.  Say:

Creature of Earth

I cleanse and consecrate thee by the Ancient Energies of the North,

Blessings of the Ancient Ones on you now.

So mote it be.

Pass your hand over the salt three times (or do the banishing pentagram) to  banish, then hold your hand steady to bless, imagining a sparkling light surrounding and infusing the salt.

Hold the bowl of water in your hands and raise it before you, silently, in communion with the Gods.  Move the water bowl to the center of the altar (on top of your altar pentacle if you have one).

Place three pinches of salt in the water.  Stir thrice with your finger (or your athame).  Then say:

As the rod is to the God

So the chalice is to the Goddess.

Begin to lower your finger (or the athame) into the water.  As they touch, say:

And together, they are One.

At this point, envision the water exploding with Divine energy.  Make this energy coloured, if you like.

Remove your finger (or the athame).  Imagine that the altar is a giant cauldron.  You have cleansed and blessed each element on the altar.  Now, you are going to mix them together - meld them, if you will - into a vortex of positive, Divine energy.  Beginning in the North in a clockwise, spiral motion, stir your hand over the altar five times, imagining the energies mixing together.

Tap the hilt of the athame (or your fingers) soundly five times (one for each element, plus one for Spirit) at the right, lower corner (the corner closest to you right hand if you are right-handed, the corner closest to your left hand if you are left-handed) to seal the power of the altar.

The devotion is done.  Ground and center.

Evening Blessing

This is, again, performed before your altar.

Let what I feel fill me

But not consume me;

Let me follow what I feel

But not be forced;

Let me become the kind of soul

Who never clings too hard,

Who lets go and yet loves;

Let me imagine better worlds

Yet work in this one;

Let me touch, and treasure, even

people I can never hold;

And let me learn from all my losses;

Let me out and let me in,

And let me see, and let me be

A window - maybe broken - but through which

A bit of air and sunlight comes.

Evening Blessing

(adapted from Silver RavenWolf's Magick Cauldron)

This Devotion of the Elements can be performed as any of the Daily Devotions.  The evening ones are shown here.  To do this in the morning, use the phrases set out in brackets and start in the East, facing the rising run.  As a midday devotion, you would need to substitute the word 'afternoon' and start in the South, where the sun is strongest.  The evening blessing commences in the West, where the sun is setting.  A Bedtime Blessing would start in the North, in honour of home (magnetic North) and you would need to substitute the word "night".  You are travelling clockwise around the wheel of elements.

This is an excellent devotion for outside, but can be done inside, if you have something to represent the four elements on a dresser top, your altar, etc.  Get dressed properly for the weather (of course) and step outside.

This is a type of devotional that can be down "down and dirty."  For example, let's say you are busy in the morning/evening and don't have much time to spend on your devotion.  This one could be done at a bus stop in a very obtuse manner.  Simply turn in the approximate direction and shut your eyes, or look upward.  No one will know what you are doing.

Face the North, or simply turn in that direction.  Breathe deeply.  Ground and center yourself, then put your hands out before you.  Say (or think):

Element of the North,

I greet thee this evening (morning) in perfect love and perfect trust,

Bless me this evening (day) with stability and prosperity.

Turn to the East or take a walk in that direction and breathe deeply.  Ground and center yourself.  Put you hands out in front of you, palms facing East.  Feel the energies of the East moving beyond your fingertips.  Say (or think):

Element of the East,

I greet thee this evening (morning) in perfect peace and perfect trust,

Bless me this evening (day) with patience, wit, and mental harmony.

Turn to the South, or take a walk in that direction till it feels right, then stop.  Ground and centre yourself.  Put your hands out in front of you as before, palms facing the South.  Feel the energies of that direction moving at your fingertips.  Say (or think):

Element of the South,

Bless me this evening (day) with passion and healing.

Take a walk to the West, or simply turn in that direction.  Ground and center as before, then put your hands out before you.  Say (or think):

Element of the West,

Bless me this evening (day) with healthy transformation and love.

Walk to a place you feel is center, and ground and center again.  Cross your arms in the "God" position (arms folded across the chest, legs spread apart).  Say (or think):

Guardians of the Spirit,

Bless me this evening (day) with wisdom,

Cleanse my body and spirit, so that I may be strong among the ranks of the Craft of the Wise.