Sports and Culture

I once studied fencing and my coach asked me if perhaps my uncle fenced because he had heard my last name before. Actually I didn't know it, because of the Soviet secrecy, but my second Uncle in Estonia Arne Timusk is a champion rally driver.

When I visited in 1993 Arne drove us about in his lada. He told us that he had recieved many free ladas to drive for the Soviet team. Even now after independence he still drives in rallies. He is also an all round sportsman staying fit even inviting us to swim with him in the Baltic sea.

My brother has a book that Arnes' daughter Aive brought him when she visited in 1989. The book is about wrestling. In fact, it is the story of a famous wrestler.

When in the old town in Tallinn I looked out over the precipice of the old fort. Below was a soccer or football field.

The Estonian's enjoy singing. In fact, the revolution that brought Estonia's second chance at independence was callled the singing revolution.

My aunt has made regular trips to Estonia to sing in choir groups. There is a large outdoor song hall in Tallinn and I had the pleasure to visit it and would one day like to sing my own English music there.

Web Sites for Culture

[Home][Estonian Language][Estonian Science][Estonian Sports and Culture][Esto-Canuck][EstoGenWeb]

Web Master Peter Timusk [email protected]
Last updated September 16th, 2000.