All graphics and tutorials on this site are copyright � 1998 by Dr. Jo Ann/Visual Sonnets.

Please, see the Terms of Usage on the Sets page for use of graphics.  Tutorials may not be reproduced without express written permission of the author.

violets-linkback.jpg (3320 bytes)

Creating Opals 201

violets-bar.jpg (4631 bytes)

It is assumed that the user is familiar with PSP5 and comfortable working with layers and selections.  Often, I save selections to the alpha channel which I don't really need, but it is easier to do that than to try to recreate a selection.

In this tutorial, we will use Paint Shop Pro 5 and Blade Pro to do the following:

On the first page, we will create improved opals using the steps below and a Blade Pro preset.  This preset available for download at the end of this tutorial.
On the second page, we will look at ways of using Blade Pro to make the enameled decorations using dingbats and a Blade Pro preset which is part of the download.

Please note, everything on this page was created using PSP 5 and Blade Pro with the exception of the card and silhouette clipart which were modified to make the mouseover.  No actual jewelry was scanned.

Step 1 Open a new image 100 x 100 pixels with a white background.
Step 2 Add a layer and flood fill with black.
Step 3 To this layer, add random noise at 100%.
Step 4 Select all and then modify this selection.  Use the "Set Transparent" option.  Choose black as the transparent color with a tolerance of 25.
Step 5 Promote this selection to a new layer called Color Base.  Turn off visibility of the black layer.
Step 6 Go to the colors menu and choose "Hue Map" from the "Adjust" options.  Move the Saturation and Lightness sliders each to 50.
Step 7 Select None and mosaic the layer using 5 x 5 pixels.
Step 8 Gaussian blur the Color Base layer by 1.75.  At this point, you might want to save this image off as an opals master.
Step 9 Make a selection on the Color Layer of the desired shape.  If possible, anti-alias this selection.  (This was simple to do for the ellipse in the bar.  Creating the anti-aliased tear drop was a bit of a challenge.)  Save this selection to the alpha channel.
Step 10 Apply the juh-opals-201-a.q9q preset to the selection.  Again, depending on things like shape and size, you may need to tweak this preset.
Step 11 Promote the selection to a new layer called Opal.  Turn off visibility of the layer below.
Step 12 Reload the shape selection, and do a Copy Merged.  You can now paste the opal onto other graphics, resize, etc.  I think it looks best if a drop shadow is added.
Note Many of these steps can accommodate variation.  I must have about a half dozen which give me subtly different opals.  (Just like the real thing.)   This is an effect which is a lot of fun to play around with.

violets-mail.jpg (2592 bytes)     E-mail me with any questions or comments.
violets-back.jpg (1632 bytes)

violets-up.jpg (1769 bytes)

violets-next.jpg (1601 bytes)
Last Sandbox Next Page

This page was last modified on 09/17/98 04:37 PM CDT.