FC Navigation Console FortuneCity ad
vs-sand-box.jpg (8356 bytes)

What is Visual Sonnets' "Sandbox"?

vs-circle-bar.jpg (3879 bytes)

The Sandbox is where I play to learn and to learn to play.

As I attempt to create my Visual Sonnets, I find that I develop techniques and ways of looking at things which may be of benefit to others.  This has given rise to the tutorials described below.  So, in playing with images, I've taught myself new ways to create them.

At the same time, learning more about image manipulation has led me to play both on my computer and in my mind.  It has led me to ask, "What if I tried ....? and "How would I make ....?" questions which free me for more imagining and learning.  It is quite a journey.  I invite you to grab a shovel and pail to play and learn alongside me.

vs-fleur-bar.jpg (4467 bytes)

What will one find at the Sandbox?

Tutorials on creating some interesting effects using Paint Shop Pro and Blade Pro.  The major thrust of this site is to be a place to share what I am learning and doing.  Please READ:   If a tutorial uses Blade Pro, it will be noted as such in the descriptions below.  In addition, a fleur-de-lys, as seen at left, will be included to flag such tutorials.
Most of the tutorials are intended for seasoned users of PSP who are comfortable with layers and manipulating selections.  I rely heavily on dingbats and B&W clipart.
Two measly tubes of fleur-de-lys.  (But, they're very pretty.)  <G>  If you haven't guessed it by now, I love fleur-de-lys.   I love the symbology of that shape.
Some Blade Pro presets which I just zipped into a file.   I will add to these later (to include the preset used for this gold, etc.) and give some examples.
A new look ....  well, I'm concerned that it may be too elegant for a Sandbox, but the old play area did need some cleaning up.  I think I'd better scatter some sand here and there so folks know it's really is a working site.   Now, if you happen to find some jewels or other treasure in the sand, don't be surprised.  ;^)

vs-circle-sandbar.jpg (3637 bytes)

Tutorials

New for 10/27/98 - Making Tiles from Tubes

This tutorial shows how to create tiled backgrounds using picture tubes.

candycorn-tile-sm.jpg (3680 bytes)

New for 12/22/98 - Making Layered Backgrounds

This tutorial shows how to create tiling backgrounds with overlapping layers giving the feeling of depth.

dark-snowflake-tile.jpg (4314 bytes)

New for 10/2/98 - Weaving Tweed

This tutorials show hows to manipulate hue maps to get interesting textures from random noise.  An Adobe Photoshop plugin which is part of a demo download is used to produce a tweed effect from the above texture.   Requires downloading the demo from the Adobe site.

tweed-ex.jpg (5285 bytes)

vs-sm-gold-fleur.jpg (1324 bytes)  New for 9/17/98 - Opals 201

This tutorial shows another way to make opals.  On the second page is a description of how to create "enameled" jewelry.  Both tutorials require Blade Pro with the presets being provided in a zip file.  Be sure to mouseover the "Welcome" for a surprise.

violets-button.jpg (3409 bytes)

vs-sm-gold-fleur.jpg (1324 bytes)New for 9/4/98 - Simple Faceted Gems

This tutorial shows how to create "gems" with simple facets.  It includes the Blade Pro presets needed, and two "master" files for the gems shown at right.  If you don't have Blade Pro, you can still make gems like these in whatever colors you want by using the master files which are in PSP format.

am-em-green-ex.jpg (1374 bytes)

am-em-purple-ex.jpg (2259 bytes)

vs-sm-gold-fleur.jpg (1324 bytes)New for 8/27/98 - Creating Buttons for Mouseovers

This tutorial shows how to create buttons with two states.  While not for mouseovers, alone, these are easy to get going with.   Also, it shows how to make "frames" from solid dingbats, and the power of layers and saved selections. This uses Blade Pro to get that "transparent" look, but you don't neccessarily need it to implement most of the ideas.

pietra-how-on.jpg (2258 bytes)

vs-sm-gold-fleur.jpg (1324 bytes)New for 8/14/98 - Incised Decorations with Dingbats

I'm currently on a roll with dingbats.  This tutorial shows how to use those same complicated dingbats to give Blade Pro an incised look.  I hope others will come up with improvements and variations for this one.

moony-3.jpg (4045 bytes)

New for 8/13/98 - Delightful Dingbats + Bonus Textures

This tutorial shows how to use complicated dingbats to make decorative elements.  There are also two more techniques for making textures which resemble sand and water..

conch-button.jpg (3801 bytes)

New for 7/15/98 - Interesting Textures I

This tutorial shows how to do some interesting monochrome textures.  These are especially useful for cutout techniques such as those found at the Webgraphics on a Budget site.

steam-coffee-sm.jpg (953 bytes)

New for 7/14/98 - "Reflective Metal"

Its not that easy to see from the example at right, but the background texture looks like it "reflects" up on the metallic surface. There are some intermediate steps in this tutorial which are, themselves, rather pleasing effects. Lots to "chew on" here. Again, thanks to State-of-Entropy for some inspiration which I managed to turn inside out.

reflective-metal-sm.jpg (3552 bytes)
New for 7/10/98 - Opals 101 Tutorial

This is my first "published" attempt at creating opals. This is a work in progress for me. What I really like about what is here are the "embellishments" I added to the fairly simple opal I created. Looking at State-of-Entropy's Blade Pro Jewels tutorial inspired me to fashion these settings for the opals.

opal-in-setting.jpg (2193 bytes)

vs-sm-gold-fleur.jpg (1324 bytes)New for 6/18/98 - Creating Pearls

'I've been wanting to make lovely pearls and other jewels without an expensive plug-in, so here's one you can do with Blade Pro.   Inspiration, spurred on by Andrew Ronayne's Blade Pro pearl presets, struck.  Enjoy.

pearl-demo.jpg (1720 bytes)

New for 6/9/98 - Quick Border Background

Sometimes you just need a border background in a hurry.  Here's how to make one in a few steps that will get you on your way.

vs-sm-gold-fleur.jpg (1324 bytes)New for 6/5/98 - Shifting Light on Gold Tutorial

The effect I'm trying for is a light source playing over a golden surface.  There are Blade Pro settings and a tutorial available for this.

ani-fleur-a.gif (24461 bytes)

vs-sm-gold-fleur.jpg (1324 bytes)Around 5/22/98 - Stained Glass

This is the tutorial which started the whole thing.  I wanted a stained glass that had a bevel and that I could see through.  There are two techniques here.  One doesn't have the bevel and requires only PSP 5.  The more realistic glass uses Blade Pro, as well.

stained-glass-ex.jpg (3597 bytes)

Tubes

vs-sm-gold-fleur.jpg (1324 bytes) I've been having some fun making various fleur-de-lys with Blade.   I put together two tubes.  One is a rainbow of fleur "jewels".   These look smashing on a black background.  The other is made up of different warm colored metals.  They are both available as a zip file (90KB).

Blade Pro Presets

I've also been playing around with "throwing the dice" in Blade.   You can download a zip file of some presets.   Sorry, but I don't have examples for everything, but here's what I've done with random-5.q9q:
base-ball-1.gif (7890 bytes) I took a pale grey circle on a white background and threw the dice.  What came up was something close to the image at left.  What I liked was that little knob in the middle which looked like a nifty sphere.  So I cut it out.  I also have played around with applying a modified version of that preset to various textures such as marble.  You can get some nice looking spheres from this, but it is still in the early stages.

E-mail me Please e-mail me with comments or questions.
To VS Welcome Links, Rings, etc. Graphics Sets Tutorials and more

All graphics on this site are copyright � 1998 by Dr. Jo Ann/Visual Sonnets.

vs-main-linkback.jpg (3665 bytes)      Use of the graphics on this page is reserved for Visual Sonnets.   Please, see the Terms of Usage on the Sets page for use of other graphics.

This page was last modified on 10/26/99 04:35 PM CDT.