Discuss at the PSYCHO boardroom

The best comments at the board room will become immortal on this page.

Based on a novel by ROBERT BLOCH.

Written for the screen by JOSEPH STEFANO

In the case of Stefano it is important to realise that he was never totally happy with the restrictions of censorship in the 1960 Psycho.. When approached by Van Sant who asked for the rights to use his script for the 1998 cover version Stefano asked Van Sant if he would put the restricted scenes in.. "No" was the hasty reply from Van Sant.. Some changes have been made and this page will attempt to document them. These changes are mainly contextual. Other horror under STEFANO are "the Kindred", "Psycho IV: the beginning", "revenge" and "The Outer Limits" television series.

The Original
Directed by Alfred Hitchcock

The master of the "THRILLER" genre... Other than Psycho his major horror works are The Birds and the grizzly Frenzy. A Prolific director with 60 films to his credit and a television series.. His reputation as a critically acclaimed Director in the new contemporary Hollywood cinema was enough to sell his films.. The word 'Hitchcock' on a film poster ensured the film would be of the greatest 'quality'. Hitchcock himself noted this, "Even my failures make money and become classics a year after I make them".. He showed us that "There is no terror in the bang, only in the anticipation of it.".. Insight into Hitchcocks dark sense of humour and technical brilliance can be found through further research at www.alfred-hitchcock.com .ON Psycho other than the line in the promotionional video "This is where it happened.." (SHOWER SCENE).. Hitchcock also said, "To me Psycho was a big comedy. Had to be.".

The Cover Version
Directed by Gus Van Sant

Not his first Cover Version.. The last thing he updated for the kiddies was Shakespeare, something he called "My Own Private Idaho".. Some call the "Cover Version" of Psycho without seeing it a complete and utter piece of sacralidge.. Van Sant must have figured this when he thought of "covering" the film.. Because instead of remaking the film, he is going to cover it. Shot for Shot, with a few small contextual differences and pray tell some nudity in the shower scene?? Is it possible to make a film again shot for shot without the original cast.. Is there anyway it is possible that the cattle can move within the framing robotically to match Van Sants vision.. Will the cattle just move in there own way. Will Van Sant appear in the background of any shots???

The Original D.O.P.

John L. Russel

Won an Academy award for his effort in this film. Trully a master of the frame.

COVER VERSION D.O.P.

Christopher Doyle

Born in Australia.. Say no more the guy knows what he is doing.. Getting paid..$$$.

THE SCORE

Bernard Herrmann(1960 and 98)

Herrmann actually talked Hitchcock into adding violins to the shower scene, rather than silence and screams..

Danny Elfman (1998)
One of the greatest composers of modern times will be mixing in some additional composition.. There will be a soundtrack available, but it will be full of more commercial forms of music. In this instance he plays the role of a glamourised conductor.

THE CATTLE

(if you don't understand my cattle reference.. ask someone who knows Hitchcock,)

NORMAN BATES 1960 (Anthony Perkins)

The worlds greatest dialogue fairies blessed Norman with more than enough great lines to fill a film. Perkins played Norman with a coy edge. Perkins as an actor has played other horror role even Jack the Ripper.. But his role as Norman Bates is what we will all remember him for.. My favourite line "I think I must have one of those faces you can't help believing.".

NORMAN BATES 1998 (Vince Vaughn)

Vaughn has had a quick impact on the industry since his big feature breakout film "swingers'. His first horror film was "Lost World"... And has played a deranged fellow in "Clay Pigeons". This film will be his biggest career gamble, if it pays of he'll be around forever.. If not it's lights out.. Vaughn is definately Norman, not David Duchovny as once rumored, David looks to much like Perkins..Since the release of the film the reviews I have read have been unfavorable of the performance of Vaughn. He has been seen as too sinister from the first time we see him.. He is not portrayed as a victim of schizophrenia but a Psycho who uses schizophrenia as his excuse. He actually laughs when he dumps the car.

MARION CRANE 1960 (Janet Leigh)

The slasher scream queen because of a certain shower scene. Marion as a character is distracted by her dishonesty in the above shot. A thief on the run. Janet hasn't finished with acting, she was recently in H20 with her daughter. At the premiere for H20 she was asked about the "cover", she seemed excited about it proclaiming something about the way it will be interesting to see two versions (one thinks if it was her daughter she would have nulled any film ever made that she wasn't in generally depromoting with personal attacks rather than open minded commentary).. Anyone notice the car she drove in H20 was the same as the one in Psycho and Beltrami threw in some Herman to add to the mood.

MARION CRANE 1998 (Anne Heche)

We all know what Anne Heche "did last summer" and she is hooking us all again this summer (depending on your hemisphere) but this time she is a thief... And an actress who will have all eyes on the screen with her maybe more revealing shower scene.. But the critics are drooling over how she compares to Leigh in the frame states.. Will she have the same prescence, will her prescence fit in with the film. Initial review have been favorable toward the talent of Heche in the role of Marion. Not as if it was a role written for her, but a role that she could portray in a way befitting of the film. Even when she had to try and keep up with Vaughn's weird timing in the canary sequence (pre-shower) she did so and extremely convincingly as well. All and all making Vaughn look even worse.

It is hard to speculate about the contextual differences without a viewing of the "cover version".

THE REST OF THE HERD

(left 1960, right 1998)

LILA CRANE

Vera Miles

Juliane Moore
still open for comment on performance.

SAM LOOMIS

John Gavin
(what a great last name)

Viggo Mortenson

(2nd Hitchcock remake this year.) Everything was against him, but the reviews have given him a 'chiseled' critique. To match his face.

DETECTIVE MILTON ARBOGAST

Martin Balsam

William H. Macy
Looked to be having to much fun in the role.. And some say loose the hat.

SHERIFF CHAMBERS

John McIntire

Phillip Baker Hall

Dr. RICHMOND

Simon Oakland

Robert Forster

Voice of Mother

Virginia Gregg

Don't have a bloody clue?

THE STORY (contextual differences)

THE HEIST.

The amount has been changed from $40,000.00 to $400,000.00.. It seems that $40,000.00 was enough to be classed as a heist in 1998 terms. Also we see a naked butt close to the start and while Marion is in the car we get an alternate camera angle to the one Hitchcock uses, this could be due to the car which is in some oopinions not satisfactory (the car, not the shot).

BATES MOTEL and 'The House'.

Will there still be 12 rooms 12 vacancies???

In 1960 it looked like this.

In 1998 it will look like this..

They look a little different to me.. The windows don't even have the rounded upper edge.. Any architects care to comment on the style please post at the "PSYCHO" board room.. Link below. The new hous has been called "not as scary" as the old one.. To me it looks far to inviting.

BOY MEETS GIRL

The eerie scene that is written like filmic honey with lines that pour from the cattles mouthes like so much originality. Vaughn races through these classic lines with his tongue far to much on the hard pallete of his mouth making his voice more a snicker, then the soothing reassurance Perkins gave it.

THE SHOWER SCENE

The scene so often ripped off because of its brilliance.. The heat is on to "cover" this scene without making it funny. Some pictures to spark the memory. Is it me or is the new peep hole more of a window. Okay so we knew some thing would chnage in this sequence.. Norman is now clearly Masturbating while peeping, giving him a more deviant side rather than the curiosity that we get from the original. We see bits of Marion we never have seen before, there is more blood less cuts and shots during the stabbing.. Icing on the cake is added clouds in the sky during the scene and we see stab wounds on Marion (with a knife supplied by John Woo like we care.. hmm well it'll be on Sale of the Century one day I'm sure). After Norm cleans up he dumps the car and offers us an evil laugh <why?>.

THE DETECTION

Will the lead up to the resolve be the same.. Will Lela be a lesbian as rumoured (If she is it will ruin the chance of a shot for shot sequel:). Will Arbogast be less discrete.. Will Norman have a believable face?? When Arbogast is killed we get some more unusual cuts one of a naked woman and another of a bovine creature from what I hear..

THE RESOLUTION

In the last few months there have been rumors of a different twist at the end.. Is this twist forthcoming.. only time will tell. Haven't heard of any changes to the end.

THE POSTERS

The 'cover' is not the only controversial thing about the new Psycho.. The poster is in at least one US state classed as "to revealing".. After 9 complaints, down they came.

1998/11998/2

I prefer the original poster.. It mocks a certain scene from a certain Box office hit about a boat that sunk.. What is Van Sant hinting at?? There are more than just the one poster for the original.. Email them to me if you have a scan..

When the film is released it seems we are invited to "Check in. Unpack. Relax. Take a shower." This slogan is clever in the way it plays on an acquired knowledge that the audience of the original has.. That with the invitation to relive the nightmare.. Is clearly not targeting an audience that is full of newbies to the genre.. But grasping for those who have seen the original..

COST AGAINST RETURN
THE PRODUCTION

Original-

Cost- $800,000.00

Gross in the US.

$32 million

The Cover-

Cost- $20 million

Gross in the US.

$21 million still rising (but not much).

ShamelyProductions under the false name "Wimpy".

Distributed by

Filmed in part at Universal City

IMAGINE entertainment and

Got together to make this.. Demolition is due for the Bates house on the Universal lot any day now <sob> <sob>.

Disclaimer-- Psycho is owned by those above and all the stills on this page are (c) copyrighted to those companies.. The sound as well. No ill respect is meant toward either companies integrity. The feedback and opinions on the film are healthy and the industry can only benefit from viewer feedback.

SPEACIAL THANKS TO FOLLOWING SOURCES

DARK HORIZONS (Great Australian Service)

Psycho Links page

Official COVER site

Read & Post Messages in the PSYCHO BoardRoom   Beseen.com

, 1998-2000.
Click Here!

MAIN MENU

SPOTlight