SPOTLIGHT #3

"The Night of the Hunter"

Novel by Davis Grubb
(unfortunately out of print check second hand stores.)

Directed by Charles Laughton (1955)

Main Cast: Robert Mitchum, Shelley Winters, Lillian Gish and James Gleason.

BANNED IN FINLAND sorry :(

Not to clued in on Laughton's other directorial roles, but this film is outstanding. It has been described by IMDb as a Film Noir/Drama/Thriller.. I would call this all of the above and add horror/fantasy.

Mitchum is cast as the bad guy Reverend Harry Powell, who stalks the family of the woman he marries. The family that he stashed $10,000 with. He goes to extremes to all extremes to get the money... EVEN MURDER.

Money the big motive for anything Horrific.

The Rev. is in a sense tattooed the way Mitchum was in "Cape Fear".. This brings about one of the best quotes in the film.

left-HATE------LOVE-right

The Rev..to little John Harper (Billy Chapin) "Ah, little lad, you're staring at my fingers. Would you like me to tell you the little story of right-hand/left-hand? The story of good and evil? H-A-T-E! It was with this left hand that old brother Cain struck the blow that laid his brother low. L-O-V-E! You see these fingers, dear hearts? These fingers has veins that run straight to the soul of man. The right hand, friends, the hand of love. Now watch, and I'll show you the story of life. Those fingers, dear hearts, is always a-warring and a-tugging, one agin t'other. Now watch 'em! Old brother left hand, left hand he's a fighting, and it looks like love's a goner. But wait a minute! Hot dog, love's a winning! Yessirree! It's love that's won, and old left hand hate is down for the count!"

BEST SCENE: The Fishermen, looks off the boat to see what his hook is snagged on.. This is one of the most eerie sequences in movie history with out a doubt.

Another scene of note is the children's escape by row-boat. Mitchum pursuing them is very like the way Steve Miner direction of Jason pursuing his victims in Friday the 13th part 2. This film is well worth a look.. If you have a 2 for 1 discount at your local video shop, take the risk..

The Children are the real stars of this movie. Rachel (Lillian Gish), explains to the children.. "It's a hard world for little things.". Pearl and John are the children Pearl is portrayed by Sally Jane Bruce.

The Music is HEY JOE it reminds me of this film when I hear it, a wife basher theme if ever there was one. unfortunately I could not find scores for Hing, Hang, Hung or Leaning on the Everlasting Arms.

The posters came from http://www.filmsite.org

HEY JOE.

, 1998-1999.
Click Here!

Main

SPOTlight