The next 3 SPOTlights will be in reference to 1998 my 0.02.

PART 2

FANS VS. THE INDUSTRY '98

This Week I'll discuss the BOX-OFFICE takings, OFFICIAL web pages and info on the new Quizlet.. :)

1998 HORROR CINEMA BOX-OFFICE (us based)

Title US takings. Rest of the world GROSS
1. Godzilla  136.3 million 239.7 mill 376 mill
2. The X Files- Fight the Future  83.9 mill 101 mill 184.9 mill
3. Blade 70.1 mill 45.4mill 115.5mill
4. Halloween H20: Twenty years later.. or in Australia :Blood is Thicker Than Water. 55 mill 20mill 75mill
5. I Still Know What You Did Last Summer. 39.3mill 4.8mill 44.1mill
6. Urban Legend 38mill ---- 38mill
7. Bride of Chucky 32.4mill ---- 32.4mill
8. The Faculty 31.9mill ---- 31.9mill
9. Fallen 25.5mill ---- 25.5mill
10. Psycho 21.1mill ---- 21.1mill
11. Vampires 20.mill ---- 20mill
12. Species II 19.2mill 14.3mill 33.5mill
13. Disturbing Behavior 17.5mill ---- 17.5mill
14. Dark City 14.3mill 1mill 15.3mill
15. Deep Rising 11.1mill ---- 11.1mill
16. Apt Pupil 8.8mill ---- 8.8mill
17. Phantoms 5.7mill ---- 5.7mill
18. T-Rex: Back to the Cretaceous 3.3mill ---- 3.3mill
19. Gods and Monsters 2.2mill ---- 2.2mill
20. Nightwatch 1.2mill ---- 1.2mill

BASED IN US DOLLARS

Okay, okay... Godzilla won at the box office.. remember the box-office is a measure of popularity and high mint making films are usually considered non-risk ventures.. I have based the statistics on US information gathered from: http://www.vex.net/~odin/Gross/index.cgi?order=domestic&start=1998&finish=1998&keyword=

So if you want to get up to date info on Box Office receipt you may want to try there.. Unfortunately they measure things in Millions of Dollars so if a film does not make a million it may not show on the list.. or in the rest of the world section.. The list is updated every now and then.. So I will update the above list monthly or untill the amounts no longer change.. Email me if you have a a better box-office source..

Interesting things.. the top 2 films did better overseaswhne compared domestically.. AT a quick glance SONY won the production company "make-money-out-of-horror-war".. Or did they?? more on the global delivery systems next week..

As a rule if a horror film earns over 30 million we get a sequel possibly.. According to US sales.. That means the TOP 8 films will be sequeled.. 3 of them already are sequels..

WHAT's in A DOMAIN?..

very simple question.. domain.. It's what comes directly after http://, but what does it mean? A catchy domain name can get traffic to a OFFICIAL site ASAP.. There's nothing more annoying than checking out some browser and hoping to get a the official site... Catchy domains this year www.brideofchucky.com, www.istillknow.com .... But what about those domain names that failed miserably.. The ones that didn't suck us in.. Most of them belong to one prod company dimension/miramax... I don't understand how DISNEY (the owner of d/m) could make a brilliant official site for A Bugs Life.. And then give us www.halloweenmovies.com then choose a destination H20 or classics (or the hidden option STUFF THAT for a joke!), the only option I want to see at a OFFICIAL site is Shocked/Not or Flash/Not.. d/m also gave us another memorable domain name.. Not to well advertised, 207.87.23.101/home/ ....:) this is the official site for THE FACULTY... here is a great experiment in web entreprenier.. Buy a domain name before the STUDIO does.. for fun check www.faculty.com and www.thefaculty.com you'll find something odd... Just page domains FOR SALE/RENT :)... In this case Dimension was not buying.. Instead you have to goto www.dimensionfilms.com and hope that they have a link there... For crying out loud there are pictures on the internet of an upcoming dimension film but no link to a page for it (20/1/98).. That film is Killing Mrs. Tingle (KMT for short)... Is it time to buy the rights to www.kmt.com or should this be left alone... Will Dimension continue to just launch pissy little no-more-entertaining-than-mine type sites for films.. The WEB is a brilliant marketing TOOL don't waste it..

Universal and SONY get my nods of approval for best official sites in 1998.. By far the best construction I see on the NET.. The rumor that Universal has bought the domain name www.sonofchucky.com can not be fully confirmed.. If you try going to that domain you will find that it does not exist.

THE QUIZLET

Q. What kind of Horror Would You prefer to see at the cinema?

of 40 people the answer was..
35% Zombies
20% Vampires
15% Mad Scientists
15% Slasher
8% Ghosts
8% Other

You the fans have been overwhelmingly voting the type subgenred horror film you would like to see at the cinema as "Zombie" films.. So I'm taking it one step further.. Types of Zombie films..

1. Remake/Reissue- remake a classic.. (The Mummy releases this year) - reissue a classic with added scenes. (NOTLD)

2. Sequel- A film that follows on from it's predecessors..

3. Spoof- The type of Return of the Living Dead Films

4. Voodoo- Voodoo based Zombie films.. Killing them with salt while falling to the ground clutching your groin because some bastard is playing with a cupee doll type film..

5. Disease Driven- A Zombie that is awoken because of a disease, toxic waste or unknown force.. That causes the corpse to come back to life and kill.

6. Vengefull return- Zombies retunring with a goal.. Kill the bastards that did this too me.. examples THE CROW or Friday the 13th 6-9 where Jason Voorhees returns from the dead.. to seek vengence.. Michael Myers can be counted in this as well.. Not essentiall sequels I'm after here but ORIGINAL films the first part of a NEW series.. If you want to see Jason and Michael again click Sequels..

, 1998-1999.
Click Here!

MAIN MENU

SPOTlight