The Red Lion is thought
to be Stone's third oldest pub. it was built as a Georgian townhouse
in the late 18th century and the earliest recorded license was
granted in 1793.
More recent history saw the High Street pub being well run in
the 1970s and '80s by Frank and Jenny Beech, whose customers included
many CAMRA members.
After the Beech's left, the Red Lion declined considerably, with
a rapid turnover of licensees threatening the pub's future by
the mid 1990s.
But in 1995 Andy and Sylvia Burdon took on the Red Lion as their
first pub, and their efforts have paid off, making it once again
a tbriving hostelry.
Joules memorabilia is displayed in the small unspoilt lounge which
overlooks the pedestrianised High Street a hundred yards below
the former brewery site.
Towards the back of the narrow pub is the bar which was extended
in February 1998. Refurbishment then also brought the toilets
inside and introduced disabled access.
A good range of beers is rare in Punch Tavern's outlets, but the
Red Lion has four excellent cask ales on handpump. Everards Tiger
and Boddingtons Bitter are the two regular beers, which are supplemented
by a couple of guest beers from brewers such as Adnams, Highgate,
Smiles and Wychwood.
Meals aren't served in the Red Lion but Andy is happy for customers
to bring their own food, such as sandwiches, with them.
The Red Lion is open
throughout the day from 11am onwards (noon, Sunday) and on Monday
evenings is the home of Stone Jazz Club.
Copyright CAMRA (Potteries Branch) - Downloaded 18/6/00