News Report Archive
18th November 2000

News reports from Wigan Observer, Wigan Reporter and Wigan Evening Post

IT MUST BE LOVE

Posh and Becks may think they are football's top couple, but these two are set to take them on.
Latics officials have unveiled their new signing, mascot JJ's girlfriend 'B'.
And the pair will now be a permanent fixture on matchdays at the JJB stadium.
Latic's Chief executive Brenda Spencer said, "There are no plans for marriage at this stage, but there could be an announcement soon. You never know!!"
The news was announced as Latics announced a major new sponsorship deal with the neighbouring Asda hypermarket.
JJ's Asda Matchday Club will cater for more than 2,000 young members who enjoy benefits including reduced admission costs to matches and junior discos.
Brenda Spencer added, "We've got an amazing range of ages coming to the club on matchdays, from toddlers upwards and we want to make it an enjoyable experience for families. We are delighted to welcome Asda as sponsors of JJ's Matchday Club. Both Asda and Wigan Athletic are firmly commited to the community of Wigan.
"We are delighted to unveil a new partner for our club mascot 'JJ'-'B' will be a feature at all Latic's home games and we are sure that JJ and B will form a formidable team here at the JJB stadium. JJ has had twelve months on his own at the stadium, looking after the children, so we decided that we should find him a girlfriend."

LIBRARY BOOKS IN FOR NEW ERA

It's taken more than twelve months of extensive renovation work but the Carnegie Library in Pemberton is complete.The doors were officially opened in a special ceremony with members of Wigan Council and local councillors.
Wigan-based building company Dorbcrest homes undertook the mammoth task of renovation on the Grade II listed building at Ormskirk Road.
The building which has ornate brickwork had been derelict for a decade. But, thanks to Dorbcrest Homes successful planning application to restore the premises, it has been rescued.
Now the building houses the head office of Dorbcrest, along with JGB investments, a land redemption and commercial development company.
Group chairman James Boylan said, "It's the start of a new chapter in the history of both companies. We build and develop in and around Wigan and employ Wigan people.
"I am proud to have such a prestigious Wigan building as my group head office. It hasn't all been plain sailing. To say that the building needed serious repair would have been an understatement. My team worked hard but the results speak for themselves."
The first floor of the library is now available to rent. It comprises approximately 2,800 sq ft of prime office space.

PLANS FOR £24M HOSPITAL

Most of Wigan Infirmary is to be demolished to make way for a new £24m state-of-the-art hospital.
Many of the Royal Albert Edward Infirmary's Victorian buildings will be torn down and a purpose built complex built in their place, under radical new plans released by the government.
Only a few of the site's existing buildings, including the listed main entrance and The Elms, will remain intact.
The massive £24.6m investment is the biggest shake-up of healthcare in Wigan since the hospital was built in 1873.
The first stage of the ambitious scheme will see the town's old grammar school converted into a modern out-patient facility by the end of 2001.
The transformation of Wigan Infirmary wil begin next year and will be completed by Decemaber 2003.
Billinge Hospital will then shut and all it's services, including the maternity wards , moved to the new Wigan facility.
Paul Williams, Wigan and Leigh NHS Trust project manager, said,"This is certainly the biggest investment in health care in the town since the hospital was built.
"When the new outpatient facility opens, it will transfer 80,000 visitors a year from the Infirmary which will give us the space to develop the Infirmary and also improve car parking.
"The project is not really about creating extra beds, but improving services that are in a poor condition like the accident and emergency department and the x-ray department. It will also see the services that are currently at Billinge Hospital transferred to Wigan so they are all on one site. During the work there are going to be disruptions such as with car parking, but all the services that are currently at Wigan will remain there."
Health secretary Alan Milburn said Wigan Infirmary was among 16 Victorian hospitals around the country that are being replaced as part of a £350m investment scheme.
Sheena Cumiskey, chief executive of Wigan and Leigh NHS Trust said, "We are delighted to have received confirmation of approval for the multi-milion pound improvements to local healthcare facilities."

CLOSE ESCAPE FOR JOANNE,11

A schoolgirl cheated death after a newly fitted mirror crashed to the ground-just minutes after she had been lying underneath it.
Joanne Holcroft, 11, had been in front of a fireplace at her Springfield home moments before a heavy mirror, which had been fitted about 20 minutes beforehand, fell and shattered into dozens of razor sharp pieces.
Her mother, Ann, 42, of Lavender Road, Springfield said it was a miracle her daughter was not killed.
And she has slammed the tradesman who carried out the job as unprofessional, claiming he did not use the right equipment to fit the mirror which was so heavy it took two men to carry it.
Ann said, "I am still in shock. That mirror was a death trap. During the evening, Joanne normally lies in front of the fireplace and does her homework or watches TV. It was only by an act of God that she had gone upstairs to play with my little nephew, because otherwise, I am absolutely certain she would be dead.
"I was in the kitchen cleaning when I just heard this almighty smash. I can't stop thinking about what could have happened."
The tradesman, Steve Jackson, had originally fitted the mirror several days ago, but had to be called back after she noticed it had started to come away from the wall. He re-fixed it but it crashed to the floor twenty minutes later.
Ann said, "There is no way I am having another mirror up because I wouldn't be able to relax without thinking about what might happen."
But self-employed Steve said the accident was a 'one-off', adding that he carried out thousands of similar jobs in his four years of trading. He said "I have never had a mirror fall down on me before. I think the wall above the fireplace must have been tapered."

PRAISE FOR SCHOOL IN BATTLE TO REDUCE ABSENTEE RATE

A Wigan school has won acclaim for it's truancy busting masterplan.
Just two years ago Rose Bridge High at Ince languished near the bottom of national league tables for absenteeism.
The percentage of half days lost stood at 8.3% and was by far the highest figure in the area.
Today the new English school performance tables show that the statistic has been axed to 2.4%, no longer even the highest in the borough. And staff hope to see it dwindle to under 2% at the end of the academic year.
The school puts too much of this amazing turnaround down to anti-truancy grants and support that have been given to Rose Bridge over the last two years. Receiving £110,000 from the Government, the school has employed an education welfare officer, educational psychologist and additional teaching and support staff.
A great deal of time and effort has been spent on social inclusion policies, making the school as accessible, attractive and meaningful to as many pupils as possible. And there has been almost as much work put into convincing truants' parents of the educational, social and career benefits to their children if they attend classes.
John Eaves, Rose Bridge's pastoral co-ordinator said, "We are thrilled with this transformation within such a short space of time and we hope to see the trend continue. Now when children are absent they realise that they have to be for a good reason and that these reasons should be supported by their parents. we have done a lot of work with parents too and have held open days based purely on attendance. We have targeted and supported some parents."
Coun Brian Wilson Wigan Metro's life-long learning cabinet member said, "They are obviously persuading more and more pupils that it is in their long term interests to come to school."

Check here for reports you may have missed

• November 11th 2000
  • October 22nd 2000
  • October 1st 2000
  • September 24th 2000
  • September 10th 2000
  • September 3rd 2000
  • August 27th 2000
  • August 13th 2000
  • August 6th 2000
  • July 23rd 2000
  • July 16th 2000