How it started

For a long time I had intended, to build myself a realy righteous pair of speakers. A while ago the time and the means became available. For quite a time I did research research what kind of High Performance Loudspeaker I should build. I included large open-baffle designs, possibly a Pair of Lynn Olsons Ariel Speakers and something based on a design published in HiFi-World. Ultimatly non of these speakers showed me the same preformance for space/money when simulated in various software systems as the eventual winner.

I decided, that a nice and clean copy of the Wilson Audio Tiny Tot (WATT) and it�s nigh to ubiquitous Subwoofer Unit, the Wilson Audio Puppy (WAP) would do nicely.

As part of this I have first to thank several people for their help in making this project possible.

Big ThanX to Peter Basel, who provided me with copies of several Articles describing the System V WATT/WAP. Also big ThanX to Joel P. Klein from Chicago who came over to London to provide me with a Speaker-Builder Article about the Adria (ACI Sapphire/Sub1 based) while going to the London-Theatre as well. ThanX to Craig Stark for posting a calsod-file with a Focal Tweeter (120TI but close enough to use a model for the 120Tdx) on his Web-Pages. Big ThanX also to Douglas Stabler who generally helped me a lot and gave many ideas as to just how certain things could/should be done. Finally ThanX to Jonathan Phimister (from my work) for lending me his Tools for all the wood-working. I'm also gratefull for the help received by Wilmslow Audio and the sterling service received from them.
There are many more people that should appear here, but shall remain un-named, (like the whole Bass e-mail list) ThanX to all of you.

Wow, now that was a pleasantly understated credit-sequence.

So WATT's in the NAIM. (If you are not from the UK You won't get that one :-). Well, I tend to use biblical references almost everywhere and for the small Monitor Speaker the Giant-slayer David comes readily to mind. And when structural damage by sound is concerned Jerico is a good example (actually GOD himself really knocked down the wall of Jerico, not the Trumpets -- but anyway neigbours BEWARE).

Frequency Response - Calsod derived

As for the performance, with pink noise the final system measures about 93.5db/2.83V/1m within my living room (using the Radio-shack SPL Meter) where the non-anechonic envoironment artificially boosts the sensitivity. The Low-End extends to about 25Hz (-6db) in room. Above about 500Hz the frequency response is pretty flat, below that room modes and the like make measurments a bit problematic.

As for the sound, these Speakers do deliver a sound with all the character of the originals. No they are not quite as refined on direct comparison, nor do they have quite the same extreme power-handling capabilities of the originals (due to the substitution of the Peerless Woofers). Yet in Day to day use the Speakers are very compatible and have been used with a wide range of Amplifiers, from high powered Krell to Single-Ended 300B Amplifiers and never where anything less than excellent.

Impedance Response - Calsod derived

Before we get into detail, a few Words of warning. This Speaker is a fairly complex one. Too build it is expensive and timeconsuming. It is DEFINITLY not a Project for a beginner or someone without significant experience. For me this was the fift or sixth Home Loudspeaker I have build. In addition I have designed and build at least half a dozend large Horn-based sound reinforcement systems as well as loads of different Stage monitors....

Enough talk now, lets meet the Speaker....

Home | How it started | System Description | David Cabinet | David Xover | David Tweeter | David Bass/Midrange | Jerico Cabinet | Jerico Xover | Jerico Woofer |