Links
 Banners
 Most Wanted
 Contact Me
 Sign Guestbook
 Forum
 Search the Web

Pace and Sega unveil set-top-box

The world's first set-top-box with Dreamcast video game technology was unveiled earlier today in San Francisco. This very cool device is known as a digital personal video recorder (PVR). Besides having a cool abbreviation, it packs broadband cable applications, digital VCR functions, and Dreamcast video game console technology into one bag (ok not a bag but close). Sega and Pace have been working on this PVR for over a year now, and plan on releasing it in Europe later on this year. It saddens me to say this, but I must, a North American release doesn't seem very likely. We never get any of the cool things.

The PVR is off-white, just like the Dreamcast, has 4 Dreamcast controller ports, is compatible with cable, satellite, and DSL modems, but there is no disk drive of any kind. Not having a disk drive may seem odd, but it makes sense. Yes, you will still be able to play games, but instead of using a GD-Rom, the games will be downloaded via the PVR's broadband connection to a, get this, 40 GB hard drive. Up to 60 games can be held on the hard drive. The games will take approximately 3 minutes to download, claims Pace. Other things you can do with this PVR are:

• upload MP3s
  • record full-motion video while displaying both Dreamcast games and television broadcasts via a windows system.
  • pause, rewind, put in slow-mo, or speed up video using either the Dreamcast controller or a separate remote control
  • Butter your toast (just kidding)

PVR will initially retail at around $400-$600, but prices are expected to decrease quickly. I can't wait to see this contraption in action. If you would like to see this baby's insides, click on the thumbnails below. All of the pics and information in this article came from videogames.com.

--
      The Dreamcast has been reincarnated!

Want more?

Layout, design, and revisions © 2001 All rights reserved.
dreamcastotaku.cjb.net