Crew Selection in TEP

By James 'Porphyre' Grahn

Rather than just 'warm bodies,' TEP should make the crew a real part of the game.

For instance, rather than simply listing wages and names, classified ads should include an abbreviated summary of their experience, skills, and education.

Darva Devoriack My name is Darva, and I'm seeking a job that pays 59 credits per month. I've a college degree in hyperdrive maintenance and have had 3 years of experience on the job.

Ed Dahliwahl

My name's Ed and I'm a pilot. I don't have much experience yet, but I graduated from the flight academy with honors in combat maneuvering. I'd take a job for 20 credits.

The resumes would be accessible after you've hired them, too, to aid in your decision of where to post them. They should update, as well, just to let you know of their building experience and demands.

The resumes reflect the skills of the crew. The skills effect their performance noticably and define their talents, so while they'll be useful, none will be omnipotent.

Advanced engineers would not only be able to perform maintanance tasks, but also enhance technologies if their skill level is high enough. High-skill crew members in other fields would have other benefits.

Low-skill crew members may make you regret ever having hired them, though certain factors, especially the presence of other, more highly skilled crew in the same field may increase their learning rate.

These crew members should also be aware that not all benefits are monetary. That is, some might be willing to accept a cut in pay for crew escape pods, deluxe cabins, etc. Some might even demand such luxuries (or leave) if they know you have enough cash to acquire them.

Another factor worth considering for crew selection would be the presence of outside forces, such as nations, unions, and morale. Nationality could create loyalty, so long as you do enough in service of said nation (otherwise it might cause discontent). Union members would be (taking the idealic view) hard working, experienced, and loyal... but that mass-bargining might be a tough thing to contend with come year's end and firing one of them might create an uproar. Morale would be difficult to simulate, but would hinge on the situation of the ship, opportunities for release, the chemistry of the crew members working together, etc.

Also, certain missions might provide you with crew members who have specialized training or knowledge that will come in handy...

Back to Porphyre's Trading Post

Back to my Main Page

Contact me at [email protected]