Ted Mechanic's Deep Purple Pages

At Schloß Waldeck

Concert review

The venue was at Schloß Waldeck, a castle in the north of the German state Hessen. The scenery there is just gorgeous. The castle is right on top of a mountain (of course! - castles always are....duuuh) right at the lake Edersee (see left). This lake is not a natural lake, it's there because of a huge dam, a tourist attraction. From the castle you have a wonderful view to the lake and over the woods. There's also a cable car running down to the dam. Parts of the castle hold hotel rooms, but in case anybody's planning to go there, do not expect any medieval atmosphere in the rooms. The interior is top modern, not castle-like at all. So are some other parts of the castle, like the cafeteria. High tech. Something I personally do not like to see in a historical building.

The night before the gig the band and crew was celebrating the U.S. release of their second CD, Under A Violet Moon, and I had the honor to join this little party. Those were unforgettable moments.

But let's talk about the gig. The support band was "Des Geyer's Schwarzer Haufen", as they are at almost every other gig in Germany. These guys play medieval music on authentic instruments and they are one of Ritchie's favorite bands as well as friends of his for more than ten years. Besides that they are very nice people and party ANIMALS, as I found out later that night. Their performance was great, they warmed up the crowd and made them dance despite of the nasty weather.

The "Geyer's" (sorry Albert, you were too far away from me)

During their performance it was raining heavily and we were worrying whether or not the concert may be cancelled, especially since Ritchie's guitar roadie Jerry told me the night before that it was too dangerous to play in the rain because of possible electrical strokes. So I knew, in case of heavy rain they wouldn't be playing and we all were praying for the rain to stop. It seemed to help because finally the rain stopped and after a certain delay Blackmore's Night entered the stage.

They started off with Shadow Of The Moon, followed by

Morning Star. Next came

Play Minstrel Play.  Either here or during the next song Ritchie injured one of his fingers but I swear, if I hadn't seen it happen I would have never, ever guessed that. He continued playing perfectly like nothing had happened but sometimes he had to shake his fingers to relax. I bet he suffered from some serious pain but it did not effect his performance whatsoever.

Minstrel Hall

Avalon

Under A Violet Moon. I'm not quite sure why this song didn't catch onto the audience immediately. I personally can't help dancing or tapping my feet whenever I listen to it. Anyway, here it needed some motivation of Candice's to make the audience move, but she got them though. 

16th Century Greensleeves  This was the first time he used his white Stratocaster. So, unlike at earlier gigs, we heard a heavier version of this old Rainbow song.

In her announcement of the next song, Durch Den Wald Zum Bach Haus, Candice told us the story behind this one. Since the title is in German language it created some confusion among the fans and gave lots of room for weird guesses. The story is: Ritchie and Candice went to Eisenach to visit the house of the German composer Johann Sebastian Bach. Candice took the bus while Ritchie decided to walk there through the forest. Candice says he met a big old Rottweiler there which made him run the rest of the way. Therefore the designated title for the song was "Durch den Wald zum Bach Haus mit einem grossen Hund" which appeared too long to the record company. Anyway, there are *little* differences between Ritchie's and Candice's version of the story (Ritchie denies the running part....) but there is no doubt ( I asked him again personally and he was pretty surprised that there can be any other interpretation) that this song is about when he walked "Through the woods to the Bach house".

At  Past Time With Good Company  Ritchie was playing the mandolin while Candice played on a little flute, accompanied by the violin.

When Candice introduced  No Second Chance, which was next, she asked the crowd who among them had ever cheated on his/her spouse ('cause that's the background of the song), nobody raised his hand..... anybody surprised here? -- well, I'd say the audience just consisted of all good and faithful people....  

For  Possum Goes To Prague Ritchie used a capo dastro pretty high up the neck, something I've never seen him doing before. And he played it very beautifully, very full of emotion. Next was

March The Heroes Home. During this song the Geyers joined in and it was a big time party on stage. What energy and fun there!!!

It got a little calmer again with Catherine Howard's Fate

and  Renaissance Faire

The regular set ended with  Spanish Nights (I Remember It Well) Ritchie's playing here was just unbelievable!!! I have never heard such powerful playing on an accoustic guitar. People around me in the audience were also shaking their heads because his stroking (of course without a pick) was amazing. I guess everybody else would have cut their fingertips off on the strings if  they'd try to play like this.

They did not play Clock Ticks On this time (like they did in Solingen). But we got plenty of encores.

The first one started with

Gone With The Wind. Then it was "white-Strat-time" again.

Writing On The Wall , performed in a pretty heavy version, was followed by an extensive guitar solo which built up for Black Night. Alrighty, the "old" Blackmorans got their rocking Ritchie too, so everybody was pleased.

The second encore was accoustic again. It was

Wish You Were Here and Mr. Tambourine Man. I'm not quiet sure why they have this one on their recent setlist but they play it almost every time....

We even got a third encore that night which was

Now And Then. A very nice "nightcap", good song to end a fantastic concert. And that's what it was. One of the best gigs so far.

The Schloß Waldeck and the Edersee

The official concert ticket

Des Geyer's Schwarzer Haufen

Shadow Of The Moon

The Minstrel plays...

The Master of the white Stratocaster

Ritchie, Candice and me, one great moment in my life

I admit, I was playing a little bit with the colors here...

For lucky me the event fortunately didn't end with the concert. There was an all night long party after the gig with the musicians of both bands jamming at a private session which was a blast. And it got even more exciting the next day when I was invited to a football match with the Master. What an opportunity and unforgettable fun. Of course I do have pictures of this, but I am not intending to publish them here because this was Candice and Ritchie's private time which I had the honor of sharing with them and I'm not willing to abuse their friendliness. Please understand and do not ask for copies.

Back to Ted's   Blackmore's Night Corner

To Ted'sCorner 

To Ted's    Pages

Please sign the guestbook

or e-mail  me your comments

© 1999 by Axel Dauer