SHORT ADDRESS http://stop.at/realmadrid

SOLARI

FERNANDO "EL PRINCIPE" REDONDO

Redondo's style of play is as mentioned laidback, working hard in defence and making crucial passes, not a goalscorer, and not a showcase. once or twice however the magic that not many, if any in today's football world can match is shown at times of the games when, either Real is winning or just because its Redondo. His game reflects his manner off the field. 'He shrugs off the pressure, he always takes the necessary step to avoid trouble,' the French sports daily L'Equipe said in an editorial after the 1999/2000 Champions League final. 'With his allure of sombre tango dancer, his deceptive slowness, his slightly condescending elegance, he's always where he should be.'

Real have continued to falter, but this spring (2000) they have at least played well in the big games. A month ago they saved their season by beating Manchester United 3-2 at Old Trafford, and the only reason is thanks to Redondo. Playing further forward than usual, he also produced the moment of this year's Champions League (which also was one of the many reasons Redondo was awarded the MVP or the player of the Champions League 1999/2000 season). See a video of Redondo's run here.

Offcourse you firstly have to be remineded that humiliating Mancehster United's Norwegian Henning Berg is a realistic proposition, it has been done before, and most imbarrasingly usually by Henning himself. But Redondo is about everything that is impossible to the mortal footballer, he defined the art technique and skills. Sprinting with Berg to the goalline, he back-heeled the ball through the Norwegian's legs, collected it and passed to Raúl who scored Real's third goal (offcoursly such moves is impossible to describe and if you did see it you have another reason to live, because you just don't see such moves anymore made by anyone playing the proffessional game exept for Redondo).

Later Rinus Michels, the authoritarian former manager of Holland, was asked about that back-heel. the media claimed he surely would never have tolerated it? Rinus responded with "That boy!!! would never have heard anything about it from me."

Alex Ferguson said after the game that all loose balls that night had seemed to fall to Redondo. 'What does this player have in his boots?' Ferguson asked. 'A magnet?' Redondo is indeed more than a playmaker - at his best, he hoovers the midfield (ask Roy Keane, Paul Scholes, Guardiola, Rivaldo to name a few and recent episodes they have all been made to look like boys in his presence).

United escaped lightly. In the semi-finals Redondo and Raúl deliberately humiliated Bayern Munich. At times the two had fun simply passing to each other, making jokes about Carsten Jancker as the huge striker lumbered after the ball. More than once Redondo showed the ball to Bayern's Stefan Effenberg, waited for Effenberg to pounce, and then rolled it to a team-mate.

In this Real side, Redondo and Raúl - perhaps the two key players - are best mates. Redondo and Raúl will be reading bound volumes of paper known to other footballers as books. The Thin One (another nickname to Redondo) enjoys Jorge Luis Borges, Gabriel García Márquez and Italian fashion magazines.

The season 1999-2000, Redondo was one of the best players at Real Madrid, and has had the captain responsibility in Hierro's absence. Most memorable games by Redondo this season would have to be the two games against Manchester United, were he shoved his supremecy over players such as Keane and Scholes in the midfield and defenders such as Stam and Berg, giving them a lesson in superior technique and skills, who will ever forget his assist to Raul's 3 - 0 goal. The unfortunate situation for Redondo this season has been the lack of talent and inform players to really give credit and honour to his performance this season. Redondo will after this season be one of few players that will receive some sort of honour from the fans for the efforts done true out the season (this part was written months before the Champions league triumph, but as a Real Madrid supporter I was also expecting to see Real Madrid lift the Primera title as well and....... well they didn't).

Redondo was without any doubt the most important player in Real Madrid's Champions League campaign 1999/2000, which gave Real Madrid their 8 and Redondo's 2 Champions trophy. After the game Redondo said: "We won conclusively, with class and the spirit of champions." & "This was the gold plating to a tough year and impossible to improve on. I'm privileged, I've won two European (Champions) Leagues in three years. There were very great Real players who never could".

Last contract Redondo had with Real Madrid was for : 30 Juni 2002 Insurance clause: 100 million dollars (a clause that say that no club can buy him or talk to him for less)

The antichrist (like to say that apart from the sale of Redondo, it is probably fair to say that the man who received the man of the year award 2001 by the supporters has been superb as President with regards to all financial matters, as well for having no problems in spending money to get players to the club, probably fair to say that it is only Santiago Bernabeu himself that can be ranked above Perez as President in all of Real Madrid's history......the following sections was offcoursely written in anger and more anger and the anger is still there with regards to the sale of Redondo, but he (Perez) have done little wrong since.), the most pitiful excuse of a human being becomes the President of Real Madrid, Florentino Perez, he bought Luis Figo for 56 million dollars needed to get that money back, AC Milan had asked about Redondo, Perez thinking about that thought he could recover some moeny, said he did not want Redondo anymore, Redondo had 5 days earlier said he wanted to stay for good. But if Redondo don't feel welcome he leaves, signs 3 year contract with AC Milan, with a yearly salary of 2.9million pounds, to most Real Madrid supporters this is a bad deal, getting Figo a player that in the first place did not want to come to arch rivals Real Madrid, but due to some complications in pre-agreement contracts had to come, and the departure of the best techniqual and skillfull player on the ball, Redondo, aged 31 but still had atleast 4 years to play at Real since his style of play is more long lasting than, Luis Figo's who is 28 and in need of speed, probably also has "only" 4 years left, and the fact that most transactions between the clubs (Real Madrid and Barcelona) has never seen the moving player fulfill himself as much as in the previous club. But making insult to injury Satan buyes the average Flavio Concecaio and Makelele to replace the unreplaceable. Thank you Florentino "politician or the antichrist" Perez. (written one day after the sale of Redondo, I was hurt, sad, it was a moment of rage that I wrote this, I still feel the same even though Real Madrid is one their way to a Primera title in the 2000/2001 season, but the lose of Redondo the most gifted player in the world is just to much to handle, however Perez is doing a fairly okay job so far, with the exemption of this idiotic sale!!!!!!!!!)

When the news of Redondo's signing on for AC Milan came to ear for Real fans all over, news was meet with tears and anger, firstly directed towards Redondo himself then new President Florentino for not offering a better contract or making Redondo welcome at the club, but instead giving an apparent green light to leave the club. Redondo signed for AC Milan on the 28th of July. AC Milan paid Real Madrid 18,07 million Euro.

Redondo debut came on September 29, 1985. Argentina Juniors vs Gimnasia (1-1).

Redondo has only scored one goal in his career in Argentina that goal came on March 4, 1990, Ferro vs Argentina Juniors giving Argentina Juniors the lead 1-0 in the 49 minute, a game which ended 1-1.

The first words from Redondo after the transfer to AC Milan came on the day of the friendly between AC Milan and Real Madrid on San Siro in Italy. Fernando Redondo turned up at the San Siro in usuall Italian magazine style, in an elegant blue suit, matching tie and white shirt in preparation for the prestige friendly that also celebrated the 100 year in AC Milan history (AC Milan lost the game 5-1) Redondo said: "I'm very happy to have come to a side like Milan, a team I'm sure I can continue to win with," & "It is very exciting to return to a great stadium like the San Siro." also explaining "number of factors came together to force me out of Madrid," but that his transfer to AC Milan was a "dream come true". Saying "I know this club well, because of its history, because of the great players that play here... I don't yet know Zaccheroni's tactics, but I have time to learn. I can't wait to get down to work with my team-mates." Continuing to say "I played for six seasons in Madrid and have often been on the point of coming to Italy in recent years, but no deal was ever concluded (Inter tried to sign him and Lazio & Fabio Cappelos Roma was also reported to have made an offer without success this year as well). But I think that this is the best time for me to debut in this League. I have achieved the right physical and mental maturity. I want to put all my experience over the last 12 years of my career to the service of the team." about when his debut would be (in jersey number 16), many saying it would be against Dynamo Zagreb (not knowing about the injury he would inflict a few days later). Redondo countered with saying "It will be up to the coach whether I play or not. It will depend on how quickly I fit into the team. I'd obviously like to debut as soon as possible."

After the defeat (5-1) to what most people would have called a B-team Real Madrid, media could not emphazise the importance of getting Redondo ready for play in the midfield.

A few months after the injury that hurt Redondo alot, but maybe not as much as the AC Milan supporters that easily sees the need of a player like Redondo in the midfield, Redondo told the press about his condition responding to how he is feeling at the moment Redondo replied: “Not so bad, thanks. The worst is behind me now, and the recovery process is progressing nicely. I’ve started training in the gym and begun physiotherapy work in the pool (physio: Tomislav Vrbnjak), and the results are becoming apparent. My knee seems to be responding well to treatment. Doctor Tavana said that I would need six months to recover, and in my view it’s best not to rush things.”

About not being able to play Redondo answered: “I really want to get back on the pitch as soon as possible, particularly since I have settled into the city so well. The first few weeks were fantastic. I felt at home right away. The injury obviously came as a blow. But when I finally make my debut at the San Siro it will be a return to happiness. My passion for football is a way of life. Everything I’ve been through will just serve to make me stronger.”

He also said that supporters and the city has been behind him, saying: “I feel as though I’ve had the whole city behind me and I’d like to take this opportunity to thank my colleagues, the coaching staff and club officials for having been behind me all the way. I must also mention club president Silvio Berlusconi. He phones me often to find out how I’m doing and to offer words of encouragement. Everyone here has made me feel at home. My Dad and brother Leo have also been really supportive. Soon my wife Natalia will join me too. She’s been zigzagging between Spain and Italy. I’ve found a house in Milan now, so all that’s missing in my life is the chance to play football again.”

Redondo was also asked about his former manager and what he is doing with Roma: “Roma are top of the League for one reason only: they are the most in-form side of the moment. What’s more, they have a strong squad and a respected, successful manager – absolutely necessary for any side aspiring to do well domestically and on the international stage. But we have a great side and a top-class coaching team, so let’s wait and see there’s a long way to go yet.”

The AC Milan Channel, the club’s own TV station, daily runs a feature on Redondo entitled We’ll Wait For You. In response to this Redondo answered: “I’ve seen them… I’m grateful to all the fans for the support and affection they have shown towards me. I can’t wait to see them all at the San Siro – from the pitch, that is.”

Fernando Redondo - page 1

Other Pages:

Statistics

what he has won, played, scored etc.

News

Latest news on Redondo

Gallery

Photos.

Fan clubs

Internet clubs and landbased clubs.

Interview

Group interview with Redondo, Batistuta and Ortega