SHORT ADDRESS http://stop.at/realmadrid

FERNANDO "EL PRINCIPE" REDONDO

Three Men and One Dream

This interview was done in Holland prior to the Argentina-Holland friendly

The three most admired and respected stars of Argentine international football are together. Fernando Redondo, Ariel Ortega and Gabriel Batistuta exchange ideas, memories and opinions in an unforgettable conversation. For the first time, the three of them sit down together to say what they think.

The three of them are distinct, each in his own way: Gabriel Batistuta is in a time where he appears, though he does not enjoy it, to be an exclusive reference. For his experience and for his international renown. There would have to be a great distraction for one not to notice that each person who comes to the training camp at the Golden Tulip of Hoenderloo, looks at him differently. As if this wasn't enough, he also possesses a characteristic that distinguishes him from the rest of his teammates: he is the most well known to the new coach Marcelo Bielsa.

Fernando Redondo is living a very special moment in his career. After the problematic absence from the national team of Daniel Passarella more by his own choice than that of the coach he returns to take his place in the Argentine team after five years. During this lapse, the "little prince" has matured and has won his name in lights in Real Madrid. This is his pride, which he demonstrates whenever he is asked.

Ariel Ortega is the same as always. It seems like he is still living and playing in Argentina. This is evident on the pitch where his dribbling is just as great as at River, and it is noted in the intimacy of the group. After two years in Europe, passing from Spain to Italy, he doesn't even have an accent. One can still detect the way he pronounces "r" in the typical way of Jujeños. For "El Burrito" this is not just one more friendly. Filled with doubts over the incident with Van de Sar in France '98 [Ariel head butted the keeper and was ejected from the game. One minute later, Holland won that he was not going to be called up again, Bielsa gave him a surprise, giving him a vote of confidence.

The three of them have hearts of blue and white here in Holland where the cold weather contrasts with the passion for work that this group of 23 players demonstrates. The three of them with their tones, personalities, and particularities gathered together to chat with El Grafico.

Ortega Hey Bati, you make fun of me for my Jujeño accent, but when you speak with us, you have an Italian accent that can't be missed.

Bati: Really? I don't realize it, but many have commented on it. It must be because Italian is very catchy. Clearly, in Firenze, I'm with the team all day and I've caught their intonation. Afterwards, at home, with Irina and my sons, I speak Spanish, but I'm there fewer hours than with the team.

Redondo: I don't have any problems in Madrid, although I've adopted certain expressions. Certainly I didn't have to confront a change in language like you two did. But there are some words that have a different meaning in Argentina than they do in Spain. But besides this, the rest is totally equal even the bad words.

And in football, what differences do you notice?
Ortega: For me there weren't many, although in Sampdoria we weren't fighting for the championship. They screw up as many passes as at Valencia.

Bati: Possibly in Italian football there are fewer spaces. The other day I was speaking with Trappatoni. Even if today's defenders don't have the solidity of the past, it is still difficult to make goals. If Argentines are doing well in these clubs, it is because of their capabilities and not because of the weakness of the Italian players. Besides, in nearly all teams, there are players of other nationalities. Generally, because of the economic power of Italian teams, they are the best. In practices at Fiorentina, for example, it is very difficult for me to score against the German Heinrich. He is a tractor who is always breathing down my neck. Don't you have this in Spain, too, Fernando?

Redondo: Something similar. Undoubtedly, we are speaking about the two best leagues of Europe, and with certainty, the most powerful in the world. But you also have to analyze each one in accordance with the attitude of the team. Real, for example, is a team that has to make a difference. And we always work for this. On the pitch and off. We always acquire the best players possible. To be with Real means something special, even more than just the position on the table. And to be in a team with this kind of profile, for me is a great pride, just like wearing the uniform of the national team.

You lost a great opportunity in the Passarella era.
Redondo: I prefer not to live in the past. I am a person who prefers to live in the present or think about the future.

Bati: but it must have hurt you. When Daniel didn't call me for almost a full year during the qualifications, I suffered horribly.

Redondo: Yes, Bati, at times I look back and it hurts me to have lost the World Cup. Besides I was in the best moment of my career with Madrid on top of the world (Champion's League title in 1998). But, well, my convictions and principles are above absurd positions. I knew what was expected when I was called up. I put everything in the balance and made my choice. With pain, obviously, because the national team is a pride for anyone. And I am not an exception.

A pause. At this point in the conversation, the roles are clear. Bati is introspective, instinctive, and rational, the most passionate of the three. Redondo seems the most reflective and cool,thinking about every word before pronouncing it. El Burrito, however, is the most shy. It's his way, and not because he's sitting with two of the greatest stars of football. If he were sitting with players from the "B" team, he'd be the same way. A shy smile, looking at his hands, a gaze that his lifts when Bati or Redondo asks him a question. Like when Bati asks how he likes life in Italy.

Bati: Burro, how is life in Genoa? I suppose that you like it, with mountains and the sea.

Ortega: Yes, it is beautiful, as a city it is great. Besides there is a lot to do. I do like it, but I want to tell you that I remain Argentine.

Bati: I've been there for 8 years and Firenze is beautiful. But it is clear that if I had to choose, I would choose Argentina. In fact, when I end my contract with Fiorentina, I will return to Reconquista. But while I am there in Italy, I can't fail to remember that I'm in one of the richest places in the world, at least when you are referring to art. But tell me, Burrito, do you want to return because you would like to play for River again?

Ortega: The truth is that I want to return to River. I don't want to say much because the people of Sampdoria have been wonderful to me and I don't want them to feel bad. It's not because of them, but because of me. But I dream of returning to River. I know it would be very difficult because of the transfer fee, but I would like to return.

Redondo: Luckily, I love Madrid. I feel loved by the people and, for now, I don't think about the possibility of returning to play in Argentina. Besides I have a contract until 2002. So I have enough time to contemplate the possibilities. Clearly, I miss my parents, my friends and all my family. Emotions occupy an important place in any person's life. The majority of my loved ones are in Buenos Aires. On the other hand, my children, Fernando and Luciana are in school in Madrid. I think that in the future, when I leave football, I will have to think hard about what I am going to do. It will not be an easy decision.

Returning to the national team, what opinions do you have about Bielsa?

Redondo: I don't know him. I don't want to be pressured into giving an opinion after only being here 10 days. The times I've spoken with him went well, but I prefer not to make a judgment now because that would be irresponsible.

Ortega: Toto Berizzo told me about him. He is known for the professionalism and seriousness of his practices. And it's true—he kills us. We work so much. Even my eyelashes hurt! The reporters continue to ask if we understand him. Why not? His ideas are not complicated. For me, nothing difficult to understand.

Bati: I've known Marcelo for almost 14 years. It was he who taught me professionalism in football. In Newell's I remember that I was not accustomed to train if it was raining. One afternoon, a few raindrops fell, and Bielsa came looking for me. He told me that if I didn't make the effort, I wouldn't amount to anything. Afterwards, he also put me on a strict diet. He taught me professional conduct. And I note now that he's just the same. Nothing has changed. Not even his football ideas that always were to take a risk. He insists on pressing and to recover the ball closest to the rival's area.

Ortega: But he kills us brother. After each practice I hurt all over. His system obliges us to concentrate. With Daniel we also worked hard but in a different way.

Bati: Yes, to maintain the pressure he asks of us, we have to be 11 with mutual understanding. No one can be asleep. He asked the same in Newell's a decade ago. Because of this I say that he has not changed at all.

Redondo: In Spain, Barcelona has the same style that Gabriel describes. They are very difficult. When we played them at Camp Nou we lost 3-0. Their pressure was powerful. I'm happy that Bielsa has included me in a team with such a style.

Gabriel, did you know that Sanfilippo criticized you very harshly in El Grafico?
Bati: Who?

Sanfilippo. Bati: Where did he play?

San Lorenzo, Boca, Uruguay national team.

Bati: Well, it would have meant more if he'd played in a more difficult league. But look, I don't want problems. The only thing that interests me is to make myself better. To work to become the best football player in the world. That's what I work for. And with the national team, I have in my head the objective of the 2002 World Cup and to wear the national shirt. Everything else is unimportant to me.

And you, Fernando? Do you work for the same thing? From the outside it seems that your enthusiasm depends on the coach, Basile and Bielsa-yes, Bilardo and Passarella-no.

Redondo: No. That's not it. I don't elect the coaches; it is they who elect me.

But they all called you, and you opted for only two.
Redondo: for distinct reasons. I don't want to get into details. Now my only thought is that I didn't wear the national shirt for five years. The happiness I feel now against Holland is tremendous.

You, too, Burrito?
Ortega: Of course.

And when you meet Van de Sar?
Ortega: Nothing, if he greets me, I will greet him. That is in the past. It was a reaction in the heat of the moment. I have to look ahead. I don't acknowledge those who say this game is a revenge match. Revenge will be at the next World Cup. But not at a friendly match.

The conversation is ended. The three get up and leave. Burrito, with a small smile, kicking at the stones walking toward his room. Batistuta and Redondo walk slowly and speak together. It is 4:00 in the afternoon in Hoenderloo. Night is falling, the heart of Argentina returns, like always.

The above interview was taken from www.gabrielbatistuta.net
Three Men and One Dream
By Miguel Angel Rubio
Source: El Grafico
Date: March 30, 1999
English translation by: Humbird
http://www.gabrielbatistuta.net/interview/article58.html

Other Pages:

History/Profile

From Argentinos to AC Milan.

Statistics

what he has won, played, scored etc.