All graphics and tutorials on this site are copyright � 1998 by Dr. Jo Ann/Visual Sonnets.

Please, see the Terms of Usage on the Sets page for use of graphics.  Tutorials may not be reproduced without express written permission of the author.

am-em-linkback.jpg (3673 bytes)

am-em-welcome.jpg (7940 bytes)

Gold Filigree

am-em-bar.jpg (3215 bytes)

It is assumed that the user is familiar with PSP5 and comfortable working with layers and selections.  Often, I save selections to the alpha channel which I don't really need, but it is easier to do that than to try to recreate a selection.

In this tutorial, we will use Paint Shop Pro and Blade Pro to do the following:

• On the first page, we created "gems" with fairly simple facets, but clearly distinguishable pavilion cuts.
  • On the second page, we explored how to create the texture found on this set in both a light and dark version.  This will employ the use of the "hue map".
  • On this page, we look at ways of using Blade Pro to make metallic decorations from very "thin" dingbats.

Step 1 Open a new image.  I used 100 x 100 with a white background.
Step 2 Add  layers
  • Fill
  • Gem (if desired)
  • Bottom Dingbat
  • Top Dingbat
Step 3 Flood fill the Fill layer with the desired background or pattern.
Step 4 Go to the Top Dingbat layer, and lay down the dingbat.  (I used Davy's Dingbats "*" with a size of 48.)  Have floating checked, but anti-alias unchecked.  Move the selection into the position you want.  Save the selection to the alpha channel as "Dingbat".
Step 5 Apply the Blade Pro "gold, basic" preset.  At this point, the dingbat doesn't look like much.  There are just not enough pixels there to get a good bevel.  However, there is quite a bit of detail.  Turn off visibility for this layer.
Step 6 Go to the Bottom Dingbat layer and reload the Dingbat selection.   Expand this selection by 1 pixel and flood fill with white.
Step 7 Again, apply the Blade Pro "gold, basic" to this selection.   You may want to increase the radius a bit to get more highlights.
Step 8 Turn the visibility for the Top Dingbat layer back on.  The difference is subtle, but it does give you the definition of the fine detail that was lost when the selection was expanded.
Step 9 If you want to have a gem in the setting, you have several choices:
  • The gem can go on a layer beneath the dingbat layers.
  • The gem can go on a layer on top of the dingbat layers.
  • The gem can go on a layer between the dingbat layers, as in the amethyst bar, above.
Opt. 1
  1. Start with a 300 x 300 image and repeat Steps 1-5
  2. On the Bottom Dingbat layer, lay down the dingbat, again, but this time use a font size of 144.
  3. Expand the selection by 1 pixel and flood fill with white.
  4. Apply the Blade Pro "gold, basic" preset.
  5. Resize the Bottom Dingbat layer only so that it is 100x100

am-em-gf-opt-1a.jpg (3718 bytes)      This in itself, looks pretty good.

am-em-gf-opt-1b.jpg (3774 bytes)      You can turn on the Top Dingbat layer, if you chose.

Opt. 2
  • Repeat Steps 1 and 2 of Option 1.
  • Repeat Step 3, but expand by 2 pixels rather than 1.
  • Repeat Steps 4 and 5.

am-em-gf-opt-2.jpg (3821 bytes)      This is a slightly different look which is also appealing.

am-em-gf-opt-2b.jpg (3782 bytes)      For this, I lightened the top layer by 100%.  I like this best.

am-em-mail.jpg (1758 bytes)      E-mail me with any questions or comments.
am-em-purple-button.jpg (1406 bytes) am-em-green-button.jpg (1188 bytes) am-em-purple-button.jpg (1406 bytes)

Previous Page

Sandbox Next Tutorial

This page was last modified on 09/30/98 01:26 PM CDT.