All graphics on this site are copyright © 1998 by Dr. Jo Ann/Visual Sonnets.

Please, see the Terms of Usage on the Sets page for use of graphics.

vs-main-linkback.jpg (3665 bytes)

Tutorial on Stained Glass Effects

This tutorial covers the steps needed to achieve the stained glass effects shown below.

stained-glass-butterfly.jpg (10293 bytes)diamond2.jpg (18526 bytes)

Required:

Plus, for the blue diamond,

It is assumed that the user is familiar with the operation of PSP5.  Many excellent tutorials for PSP5 can be found by following the Resources link on the Jasc site.

Step 1 fleur.jpg (958 bytes)
Create a background layer.  The one I used is 300 x 300 pixels. (This has been reduced, in the tutorial to save on download time.)  You can add detail later, but I decided to put that little cutout design on it.   You need to strike a balance between too much and not enough detail in the background. background.jpg (2859 bytes)
Step 2 fleur.jpg (958 bytes) Drop some text on the image. I used "G" from monotype sorts.  Check floating and anti-alias. I don't think the color really matters. What matters is the kind of image you use. It needs to be either a dingbat or 1-bit GIF with an outline and an "interior".  This is going to be the "frame" for the stained glass.
Step 3 fleur.jpg (958 bytes)
gold-frame.jpg (5098 bytes) Now apply BladePro. I used  "gold, basic" from the settings.  As I refine this technique, I want to get a leaden look.  Promote this floating layer to a layer.   I called it "Gold Frame".

You don't really need to do this step at this point, but I like to be able to turn the frame on and off to get an idea of where I'm heading.

Step 4 fleur.jpg (958 bytes) Make Background the active layer, and insert a new layer. I called it "Bevel", because this will, eventually, be the bevel of the glass edge. At this point, I hide the other layers so that I can better see what I'm doing.
Step 5 fleur.jpg (958 bytes)  

Flood fill this layer with a solid color.   This is the color of the glass. I chose blue which is R=0, G=0, B=255. I still have more playing around to do, but I think that deeply saturated but pure colors work the best. (I still think in terms of the color solid, and admit that I remember HSL settings better than RGB. <sigh>)

Step 6 fleur.jpg (958 bytes)
Drop the same text, in the same position on the Bevel layer.   Make sure that "anti-alias" is unchecked and that floating is checked.
It doesn't matter what the text color is as long as it is different from the flood fill color of Step 5.   Now, deselect the text.
bevel-a.jpg (4144 bytes)
Step 7 fleur.jpg (958 bytes)
bevel-b.jpg (3946 bytes) With the magic wand, select only the central blue portion. Invert the selection, and clear this inverted selection. Invert the selection, again, and you should be left with just the interior blue area.

(If someone has a simpler way of doing this, I'd appreciate the hint.  The whole point is to get the inner portion of the graphic.)

Note 1 fleur.jpg (958 bytes)
At this point, you may want to turn the other layers back on to see what you have. Play around with the opacity of this layer, and you'll see that you pretty much have the effect of the butterfly. In that case, I did a few more selections of the different areas and flood filled them with different colors. I think the butterfly is pretty, but it looks more like a transparent film than stained glass.

simple.jpg (4985 bytes)
Step 8 fleur.jpg (958 bytes)
bevel-c.jpg (3823 bytes) With the blue diamond still selected, apply BladePro using stained-glass-a.q9q

For the fun of it, try to vary the opacity of this "glass" you just created.  Getting the right transparency in the middle, tends to mess up the bevel. I was quite frustrated, at this point.  But then I got a "brainwave". I made this setting with no texture, and that meant that the "face" was a single color. Bingo!!!!

Step 9 fleur.jpg (958 bytes)
Deselect the diamond.  Then use the magic wand to select the central portion.  This happens to still be 0,0, 255. Now you have a new selection which is only the face.  Cut this out, leaving behind a layer which is just the bevel.  (I turned the frame back on to see how it all looked.) bevel-d.jpg (5915 bytes)
Step 10 fleur.jpg (958 bytes)
face-a.jpg (5134 bytes) Paste the cutout selection as a new layer;  you may need to nudge it into position.  Now, you can vary the opacity of the bevel and the face independently. Yahoo!!!  I use about 95% for the bevel and about 80% for the face. Play with it to see what suits. You can stop here, or ...
Step 11 fleur.jpg (958 bytes)
The face looked a bit to flat.   Keeping the face
selected, I apply BladePro with setting stained-glass-b.q9q.   I used a bumpy texture, but there are plenty more which would probably work well.
face-b.jpg (5229 bytes)
Step 12 fleur.jpg (958 bytes)
final.jpg (5183 bytes) Since the effect is meant to be a piece of glass above the background surface, I deselected the face, made the Gold Frame the active layer and added a drop shadow to suit.
Note 2 fleur.jpg (958 bytes) Forward Work:  I had my family critique this effect, and they made some good observations.  As a result of these discussions, I think the following improvements are in order:
  1. The glare on the lower RHS is too much. I need to twiddle the
    stained-glass-a.q9q setting.  This should be an easy one.
  2. The face could use some glare.  I think I know how to implement this without too much trouble, but it will require a few more "arcane" steps.
  3. There isn't the right kind of distortion of the background image through the glass.  I might be able to use the face texture BMP to selectively soften the background.   Also, the image should "bend" with the glass ripples.  This effect is going to take some pondering.  I appreciate any and all help in any area of this tutorial.
Note 3 fleur.jpg (958 bytes)  
As noted above, the butterfly was achieved by implementing Steps 1-7.  I started with the 1-bit GIF shown at right.  The gold frame was achieved by using the Satin technique at APS Webgraphics.  I used that white marble from the Corel clipart collection for the background.  The butterfly GIF came from Art Today.

butterfly.gif (1490 bytes)
fleur.jpg (958 bytes)
Comments are appreciated.
This page was last modified on 08/28/98 05:13 PM CDT