All graphics on this site are copyright � 1998 by Dr. Jo Ann/Visual Sonnets.

Please, see the Terms of Usage on the Sets page for use of graphics.

vs-main-linkback.jpg (3665 bytes)

Shifting Light on Gold Tutorial

This tutorial requires the following:
  1. Paint Shop Pro and Animation Shop (download from JASC)
  2. Blade Pro (download from Flaming Pear)
  3. File containing bitmaps to substitute for the usual bitmap associated with the Blade Pro "gold, basic" setting. (download here)
  4. Some kind of font or simple graphic you want to animate.

It is assumed the the reader is familiar with PSP (or other imaging program which accepts Photoshop compatible plug-ins), Blade Pro and creating Animations in Animation Shop or some other animation builder.

ani-fleur-a.gif (24461 bytes) The effect I tried to achieve is that of a light playing on a golden surface.  In this example, the light goes through a little over 90 degrees shift.  You can make the light rotate completely around the object, but I found that a bit dizzying.  <G>
Step 1  

Open a new file.  I made mine 100x100 with a light grey background, since I intended to create a transparent animated GIF for this page.

Step 2 Drop some text, (or a simple graphic) on the background.  I chose "Q" from Fleurons with floating and anti-alias checked.
Step 3  

Unzip the "rotated-golds" file and put gold-0.bmp, gold-23.bmp, gold-45.bmp and gold-68.bmp into the "environments and textures" folder associated with Blade Pro.

Step 4 Apply Blade Pro to your selected text.  Use the "gold, basic" setting, but click on the environment button and chose gold-0.bmp.  Save the result as the first frame of your animation.

Step 5 Repeat Step 4 using gold-23, gold-45 and gold-68 on the original selected text.  Save off each of these as a new frame in the sequence.
Step 6  

You should have 4 frames created which rotate through 68 degrees.  Now, select gold-0, again, but hit the rotate button next to the environment button in Blade Pro.  This adds 90 degrees of rotation to gold-0.   Save this off as the 5th frame.

Note Well, if you thought ahead, you knew that you would be using gold-0 again, so you already did the rotation and saved off that 5th frame before you switched to the next bitmap.  <G>
Step 7  

Repeat the above, for as many degrees of rotation needed to get the number of frames you want.  As I said, I found that going through 360 degrees is a bit too much.

Step 8 Assemble the animation.  For the one above, I actually started at 68 (well, 67.5) degrees and went to 180 degrees (gold-0 with two clicks of the rotate arrow in Blade Pro.  Then I swung it back to 68 degrees.  I put 20 seconds in between frames, but the first frame and the middle frame I increased to 30 seconds so that there was a bit of a dwell at the ends of the swing.
fleur.jpg (1182 bytes) Comments are appreciated.
Last Sandbox Next
This page was last updated on 08/28/98 05:26 PM CDT