Mr and Mrs Norman K. Bennett
Mr & Mrs Norman K. Bennett
July 9, 1998
Web posted at: 09:21 a.m. CDT

In Loving Memory of Norman Bennett

March 1, 1932 - June 4, 1998

The man I looked up to most in my life, my Dad, left us on Thursday morning, June 4, 1998. He succummed to Chronic Pulmonary Obstruction Disease. Although he spent many days in the hospital since September of 1996 and many hours wondering why such a fate had befallen him, he ulitimately concluded, like Job, that God was sufficient to see him through.

College Football
Football Days at Navarro Junior College

The Early Years

Norman Keith Bennett was born in McAlester, Oklahoma on March 1, 1932. He grew up a rough and tumble farm boy and enjoyed playing high school football. A severe knee injury his senior year kept him from playing at Baylor University, so he attended Navarro Junior College in Corsicana, Texas. It turned out to be a lucky twist of fate for Dad for it was there he met his future wife, Helen Ruth "Sookie" Bower. After two years at Navarro, Daddy continued his football career at Austin College in Sherman, Texas, until graduation in 1955.

Wedding Picture
Wedding in Corsicana, Texas on January 29, 1955

Starting a Life Together

Dad married the love of his life, my mother, in Corsicana, Texas, on January 29, 1955. Dad graduated from Ausitn College the following May with a degree in Physical Education with a double minor in Math and Science. His football playing experience had left him with the desire to coach and teach. However, with the help of his good friend and team mate A.C. Alley, Dad went to work "temporarily" in the oilfield after graduation. He was transferred around alot btween Texas, Louisiana, and Mississippi and worked long and hot hours. However, the pay was excellent. During that time period, Mom gave birth to their three children: Bruce Wayne Bennett born July 26, 1956, Brian Lee Bennett born August 21, 1957, and Jamey Dee Bennett born July 13, 1958.

VHS Coaches
Vollie Willams, James Cleveland, Dad, and Curtis Rollins at Victoria High School

Teacher and Coach

Even though it was a big cut in pay, Dad followed his heart and took his first teaching and coaching job at Osceola High in Osceola, Arkansas, in 1960. Then, in 1963, Dad accepted a position at Victoria High School in Victoria, Texas. Dad received his Master's Degree in Math from Southeastern State in Durant, Oklahoma, in 1970. He retired from coaching in 1974 but continued teaching math classes at VHS until 1990. Dad also taught math at St Joseph's High Scool following his "retirement" and at Victoria Junior College. In 1989, he was voted VISD Teacher of the Year.

Fishing Picture
One of Thousands of Redfish Caught Through the Years

Fishing

Dad's greatest source of recreation was fishing. He loved fishing for redfish and trout in the salt waters of the Pt O'Connor and Seadrift areas. He approached fishing like anything else he did in life, in a logical and systematic method. He was very successful and has attained legendary status in the region. Before the freezes and ensuing limits in the 80's, it was not out of the ordinary to catch hundreds of trout a day. My Dad told me that out on the water was his place to relax, reflect, and think through life's problems. Some of my fondest memories are fishing with my Dad.

Fishing Picture
Dad, Sarah, Stephanie, Mom, & April

Grandkids

Dad's, being a teacher whose life was dedicated to kids, was a natural as a grandfather. His sense of humor, his willingness to give of himself and his time, and his obvious expressions of love to them instantly and constantly entenched him in their hearts. His love, his example, his ideas and ideals will forever remain with his "mullet heads".

Goodbye

My Dad was a great man. He influenced thousands of people throughout his life with his teaching, coaching, faith and friendship. He made the world a better place and made those around him better people. He was an extremely intelligent man, yet possessed the remarkable ability to keep life simple. Even though his size could be intimidating, he was gentle and soft spoken.

We will miss him every day of our lives. We will miss his smile, his sense of humor, the gleam in his blue eyes, his wisdom, judgement, and advice. We will miss his encouragement, his example, his steadfast faith, his unfailing friendship, and his unconditional love. Yes, we will miss him, but he is still very present in our hearts and in our minds. We are also very aware that this life here on earth is so temporary and that all those who share his faith will one day be reunited with him in glory for eternity.

I believe that part of heaven is exactly what you want and believe it to be. I think for Dad, the wind is never blowing, the water is always clear, the temperature is always cool, every redfish is huge and hungry, and there are no limits...

Newspaper Articles:

| home | personal | dad | photo | croc | tulsa | victoria | outdoor | agrico | sports | livecam | bizarre |
| comedy | music | movie | science |