Clive Barker's Up and Coming Films

1st of February 2000

Okay the big thing for "Buffy" fans has got to be the pending relationship building between Tara and Willow. Will there be some same sex relationship in the show or not. Whedon is saying that if there is it won't be just for shock value and promoting the show, it won't be a soap box for same sex rights and if does happen expect a the re-appearance of OZ (willow's X) who will most likely churn the waters and test the relationship between Willow and Tara. For more info check out he OFFICIAL Buffy site. (RS) (HFA NEWS)
 19th of December 99

Clive Barker has made a whole bunch of comments that Horror Online has published.. I don't usually do rebuttles.. But Barker has been particularly HARSH toward the latest Horror films. It's a big tall poppies tribute. (Barker is in Italic) "Well END OF DAYS is a very quick story. It was just that my then-agent called me up and said 'You know we have this movie, they need to do it really quickly.' It was one of those situations where there was something quite tempting about it. I like making movies and I was sort of looking at the idea of making a movie in a very short time frame, and there would have been something quite entertaining about doing a Schwarzenegger picture. But in the end you sort of have to make your choices. You get one life and you have to choose really between the things you're going to put your time into and the things you're not. I don't regret that choice, particularly having seen the movie." Okay this is a fair statement from Barker, but their is a really quirky irony in there as well. Barker is kind of admitting that he would have liked to make a lousy film in a short time frame. I'mf guessing he thinks that End of Days was bad.

Barker than went on to talk about "The Thief of Always". "It's in good shape. I have a meeting at Universal tomorrow (December 15) on that very thing. Though the issues we're looking at right now are exactly how it's going to be done. There is some argument as to whether it will be entirely CGI -- Toy Story style -- or a mixture of live action and CGI. Presumably we will make up our minds tomorrow. But Universal is very committed to it, and I have high hopes that we will make that movie work. It's a very expensive movie… there are a lot of effects, there's a lot of spectacle to it. But I have a good working relationship with the guys at Universal. I like them immensely and they've been very supportive to the project. I have high hopes that it will go." will he direct the film?? "There just isn't enough time. At some point I'm gonna need to clone myself. At a certain point it just becomes impossible to do all these things. I've got three books on the blocks right now and I need to develop them, finish them, polish them and deliver them. And then probably I'll go make a movie for New Line, which is this horror movie. I like those guys a lot, so I hope we can make it work over there. Mike DeLuca is a tremendous creator, I think, and producer. So my hope is that we will make that picture starting end of next year."

Barker on PUSHING THE ENVELOPE "Those (scripts) are written, actually. Bill Condon (director of GODS AND MONSTERS) has written one of them and it's tremendous. That will be, in terms of scale, a much more modestly sized picture. I'm looking at something which is much more the size of GODS AND MONSTERS. That way, feeling as though we can really, because the budget will be very modest, that way feeling as though we can really keep the creative controls. You know 'The Books Of Blood' were perhaps noteworthy when they came out because they pushed the envelope a little bit. And I want to make sure the movie adaptations do the thing. HELLRAISER did that. It's harder, I think now, to push the envelope where horror material is concerned than ever before. I don't think we're seeing a lot of material, horror movies now that really do push the envelope. Cronenberg is doing it less and less." The annoying thing is that is really cheesing me off is the way that Barker sees Cronnenberg as an evolving force in the Horror cinema. A single direct can not change an industry, a director usually can only tell stories with there own special trademarks. If Barker is getting tired of the trademarks that make Cronnenberg films his own than he might have just got tired of Cronneberg films. Cronnenberg advanced horror once in my opinion with Videodrome, if Barker expects a director to continuosly do that than he is in the wrong period of time. During the studio system a director could afford to do it. Now a director can not. Unless that director is making INDIE hobby films.

Barker comments on the majority of recent Horror Films, "they tend to be, by and large, rather dumb movies. THE MUMMY is less of a problem for me frankly than, you know, the inevitable I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER. URBAN LEGEND I found particularly troubling because I did feel as though it took more than a slice out of the CANDYMAN mythology for its inspiration. And that slightly troubled me. I felt like this was a movie that more than owed a significant part of its existence to CANDYMAN. And I don't like to see that. Go find your own ideas, guys!" WHAT!!! yeah like Barker came up with the Urban legend with the bloke with a hook on his hand. That Urban Legend has been around for years and years.. Barker just dressed it up and put it into a historical content. I'm fairly sure that urban legend evolved from the Phantom Killer (Lover Lane) murders in the Town That Dreaded Sundown. If Barker classes the three films mentioned as benchmarks of recent Horror films he needs to realise that there are over 90 Horror features made each year (excluding a lot of the INDIE stuff and SHORTS) these films are only three of them. If IKWYDLS and UL owe anything to any film, it is "Campfire Tales" and Lois Duncan. Sorry to have a spat, I'm sick of ppl talking down HORROR, to try and make there own work look better. I love Barker films, I love the way they are GOREY and I love his trademarks of American nostalgia, I love the way they have a very Italian feel to them. (HFA NEWS)

1st of June 1999.

"American Horror" here is a film Idea I thought dead. From the pen of Clive Barker, the first film he will direct since "lord of Illusions" is set int he Wild West during the laying of a train tracks. But while laying the railroad, some unknown terror is released. (DH) Clive Barker will also be working on three film adaptions of the works of "Edgard Allen Poe" for MGM/UA. "History of the Devil" is the most ambitious film for Barker on the horizon, it is basically the devil on trial trying to get back into heaven, as he misses god. Barker will be busy over the next few years he is also working on a 6 part TV adaption of "Weaveworld". Also in the works for Barker is "The Thief of Always". (DH)
 BACK TO MAIN  BACK TO NEWS ARCHIVE |FILM NEWS ARCHIVE|

Copyright , 1998-1999.
Click Here!